I need help with a question before i go into my recruiter tomorrow! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Problem: Arrest record.
    Yes Sir, I view it as a problem too, Even though it is the one and only time anything concerning arrest/crime/violation has ever happened in my life. And despite what that existence or non existence of that record may be. It is a blemish on a law abiding individual caused by what i thought was a friend who is actually a piece of dirt drugie, that I would have in no way have associated my self with had I known who he really was and certainly would have not allowed him into my vehicle or my life if I had known he would blame me an inoccent person for his ill doings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalverson View Post
    There are very few people that I have more respect for than Marines, and the only others I do respect as equaly or more than are my Father and my Mother. Yes sir respect does still exist, though I do understand how you can be leary that any young people in our world today know what that word actually means, and it is indeed a sad thing.

And thank you for your well wishes, I will report back here as to what transpired in my meeting tomorrow, be it good or bad news.
    As long as you stay honest, forthright in everything you do and maintain that respectful attitude....you will go a long way in the Corps young man.....you do possess the building blocks of what it takes in becoming a Marine.....and most definitely keep us informed as to your situation.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    As long as you stay hones, forthright in everything you do and maintain that respectful attitude....you will go a long way in the Corps young man.....you do possess the building blocks of what it takes in becoming a Marine.....and most definitely keep us informed as to your situation.....
    Thank you for the kind words Sgt. , they are appreciated, it is indeed nice to have support of current and past Marines, well I suppose I shouldn't say "past" Once a Marine always a Marine, they say! And I will indeed keep you posted on the developments of tomorrows meeting with Sgt.Rock.

Sergeant Rock -- how cool is that name! FrickenA

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post

HAHA! I know right? At first when I was told his name I was expecting him to the answer the phone saying " Can you smell what Sgt.Rock is cookin'" all joking aside though, He is one hell of a nice guy and a great Marine to have for a recruiter!

I just finished reading the information on the linked page that WMarine linked in my thread here, when I came across this section it layed my mind to ease about the issue mentioned in my O.P., this section refers to Special Requirements for Substance Abuse ( even though I do not do drugs and will pass any drug tests I would be given with flying colors without worry ) that is as long as this information is correct and current then this does state that and I quote

"Have a court conviction for any drug offense (except simple possession of cannabis [30 grams or less], and steroids); " If it was more than simple possession of marijuana then I would be a no go.

I should be good to go as the amount the jerk had in my car that I got blamed for was maybe .5 to 1 gram of cannabis if I remember correctly, and I know it was nothing more than a Simple possession charge.

After sitting dowm and talking to my old recruiter today about how they're going about choosing who they spend their time with... I found out it's not only up to the recruiter, but your 'competition' in the area.. i/e how good the other prospects are in your area.

Right now it's a competition between each and every person that walks in/signs up for info/shows interest in your recruiting area. Treat the next few months as a competitive job interview.. show your dedication, hard work and motivation to become a Marine. Make an appointment with your recruiter, show up 10-15 minutes early, Always call your recruiter back and take every opportunity to become part of the DEP program your RSS is running (i/e go work out if invited etc.)

If you have nothing but this in your civilian record, no ADD/ADHD, no asthma or no other significant medical problems.. and you sit down and make a good impression with your recruiter.. you should be fine.

Go in, talk to him, explain what happened, and take it from there.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    After sitting dowm and talking to my old recruiter today about how they're going about choosing who they spend their time with... I found out it's not only up to the recruiter, but your 'competition' in the area.. i/e how good the other prospects are in your area.

Right now it's a competition between each and every person that walks in/signs up for info/shows interest in your recruiting area. Treat the next few months as a competitive job interview.. show your dedication, hard work and motivation to become a Marine. Make an appointment with your recruiter, show up 10-15 minutes early, Always call your recruiter back and take every opportunity to become part of the DEP program your RSS is running (i/e go work out if invited etc.)

If you have nothing but this in your civilian record, no ADD/ADHD, no asthma or no other significant medical problems.. and you sit down and make a good impression with your recruiter.. you should be fine.

Go in, talk to him, explain what happened, and take it from there.

Good luck!

Thank you, I have a good feeling that everything will go well tomorrow as I am going in to not only be upfront and honest with him, but I want to enlist, my mind is made up so I will do anything and everything asked of me as far as DEP & RSS, and anything else I have to do from the time of being approved for enlisted to the time of Basic. As long as the Marines allow me to Enlist I will do everything I can do to be the Best Marine I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalverson View Post
    Thank you, I have a good feeling that everything will go well tomorrow as I am going in to not only be upfront and honest with him, but I want to enlist, my mind is made up so I will do anything and everything asked of me as far as DEP & RSS, and anything else I have to do from the time of being approved for enlisted to the time of Basic. As long as the Marines allow me to Enlist I will do everything I can do to be the Best Marine I can be.
    Take it from personal experience, recruiters love it when people come to THEM saying "I want to be a Marine, and will do whatever it takes for that to happen," especially when those individuals have very few blemishes. That person is going to be more motivated in the end than the person that the recruiter finds.

Also, just a side-note, it is not "basic." It is boot camp or recruit training. There is nothing basic about our boot camp. Just want to make sure you understand this.

Good luck with everything man, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    Take it from personal experience, recruiters love it when people come to THEM saying "I want to be a Marine, and will do whatever it takes for that to happen," especially when those individuals have very few blemishes. That person is going to be more motivated in the end than the person that the recruiter finds.

Also, just a side-note, it is not "basic." It is boot camp or recruit training. There is nothing basic about our boot camp. Just want to make sure you understand this.

Good luck with everything man, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Thank you for clearing that up, know the propper termanology is indeed important!

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    When I was in Okinawa...we had a Sergeant named David America...no lie...!! He PCS'd to Camp Lejeune about the time I did then I heard he went MECEP and eventually became a mustang officer.... Captain America...!! LOL....!!

Sorry to go off topic.....

-UPDATE-

I just arrived home from meeting with the recruiter! I have good news and bad news, in my opinion it is mostly GREAT NEWS!

As of right now they can not obtain waivers for the type of charge that I have, however the SSgt. said that in three months I will most likely be able to aquire that waiver and join, so in the meantime I will be sticking to my very strict PT regimen an continue to become even more well prepaird for when I am able to join up. In my opinion that is fantastic news just to know that I WILL be able to enlist in a few months but just not right now.

Thread Information