Bootcamp leave
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootcamp leave

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Bootcamp leave

Do I have to take it? Or can I just bank in those days of leave into my name?

It's mandatory assuming you've been authorized leave, and trust me, you'll want to take it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I took 5 days to Visit Family and Friends, Got in My 68' Camaro and Drove from Rhode Island to Pensacola, Fl non-stop and checked into School. Had 3 days left and it got added on to my 30 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    I took 5 days to Visit Family and Friends, Got in My 68' Camaro and Drove from Rhode Island to Pensacola, Fl non-stop and checked into School. Had 3 days left and it got added on to my 30 per year.
    Too bad it doesn't work like that anymore.
    You have to go to MCT first, where no car is allowed... most MOS schools are no go on POVs either. And MCT doesn't tend to like it when you show up early.

You don't HAVE to take it. You can check into MCT early and spend the next 9 days miserable sweeping leaves, raking grass, and whatnot.

That's interesting, I was under the impression that it was mandatory leave. Oh well.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Too bad it doesn't work like that anymore.
    You have to go to MCT first, where no car is allowed... most MOS schools are no go on POVs either. And MCT doesn't tend to like it when you show up early.
    WOW, that must s*ck with no car to get out and about with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    WOW, that must s*ck with no car to get out and about with.
    On the bright side, our school still allows POVs since it's so friggen long, but usually you have to go get it during Christmas or some other leave time, since you can't have one at MCT and you have to go right from MCT to school. Usually there's not too long of a period where nobody has a car, so at least you can usually grab a ride with a friend.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    On the bright side, our school still allows POVs since it's so friggen long, but usually you have to go get it during Christmas or some other leave time, since you can't have one at MCT and you have to go right from MCT to school. Usually there's not too long of a period where nobody has a car, so at least you can usually grab a ride with a friend.
    So that's why there was a waiting list to go to Fort Walton Beach with me on the weekends

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No you do not have to take leave after boot camp.
    A Marine in my boot platoon opted out and spent 2 weeks on MCRD painting rocks and mopping floors 7 days a week while the rest of us were out drinking beer and trying to get laid. He got a ride in a government van to ITS and picked up where he left off painting more rocks and raking leaves.

You can skip the leave but why would you want to?

Not taking leave after boot camp isn't going to get you through MCT/SOI training any faster. Just like everything in boot camp was on a training schedule, so isn't MCT/SOI training.
    Take the 10 days leave and enjoy your time home with family & friends.

I agree with everyone else, take leave! However if you don't you will just be on a bunch of working parties with ridiculous tasks. If you are lucky there is a chance you could pick up with the company ahead of you at MCT...chances are slim though.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    People keep asking me why, lol. Here is my answer, If I take the 10 days I'll be in "the hole". Since I only generated what 7.5 days? Well according to my calculations if I do not take leave, here come May next year I would have 20 days of leave saved up.
    If I do take leave after bootcamp I'll have 12.5 days saved up here come May next year.
    I want to attend my girlfriend's Prom and graduation.. also another graduation for my cousin. Since it will mean alot to them If i attended these special days.
    Problem is Prom & graduation are 14 day's apart, im going to have 12.5 days of leave.
    I might just ask if I could go in the hole and take 15 days, which does not sound too bad. So I just might take bootleave.

The Marine Corps comes first right? If I am not authorized the leave, my only option will be to pay a plane ride home so I could attend her Prom that night, and come back for work the next day (if im in the United States). It will be pricey just for that one night but it'll be worth it. More than likely I won't be able to attend her graduation since it will be in the day time and i'll be at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocopie View Post
    People keep asking me why, lol. Here is my answer, If I take the 10 days I'll be in "the hole". Since I only generated what 7.5 days? Well according to my calculations if I do not take leave, here come May next year I would have 20 days of leave saved up.
    If I do take leave after bootcamp I'll have 12.5 days saved up here come May next year.
    I want to attend my girlfriend's Prom and graduation.. also another graduation for my cousin. Since it will mean alot to them If i attended these special days.
    Problem is Prom & graduation are 14 day's apart, im going to have 12.5 days of leave.
    I might just ask if I could go in the hole and take 15 days, which does not sound too bad. So I just might take bootleave.

The Marine Corps comes first right? If I am not authorized the leave, my only option will be to pay a plane ride home so I could attend her Prom that night, and come back for work the next day (if im in the United States). It will be pricey just for that one night but it'll be worth it. More than likely I won't be able to attend her graduation since it will be in the day time and i'll be at work.
    Are we talking May of 2011? I don't recommend just doing it for one night. Prom would be on, what, a Friday? If it's not and somehow you don't make it back to work on the next working day, it's considered UA and you can get burned. Also be advised that there are distance restrictions for liberty, so you would have to be on leave for that one day. If that's really the route you want to go, then take like three days of leave and spend the weekend there, and just fly back on Sunday.

Or you could just skip out on Prom. It's not that big of a deal. Invite her to your first Marine Corps Ball and I guarantee she will forget all about Prom. Every high school student goes to Prom. How many can say they have attended a Marine Corps Ball? I say skip out on prom and fly her out to your unit for the Ball.

Well assuming they would allow you to take 20 days of leave may not be the best either. If they do, most units will allow you to go in the hole to a certain extent assuming you have enough time on your contract to earn it back. As JW said, I doubt highly that they let you fly home for prom and fly back for work the next day, and the scheduling of plane flights to allow something like that would be quite interesting. I agree with JW, take her to the ball, prom isn't that important she can go with a friend or something.

Thread Information