MCT waiver - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MCT waiver

Wow, you must have had this on your mind for a while. I cant sleep when things are on my mind. Nice pics though, thanks.

yeah it just bothers me how traditional and closeminded Marines are. I hate it. It's ok, cause Recon guys are training like this out w SOTG, and Marsoc is gtg aswell, soo it will trickle down eventually. It's already started a little with shooters who shoot on their own time. Some people just already know what they know, and dont want to un-know it.

"235 years of tradition, unhampered by progress."

Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    yeah it just bothers me how traditional and closeminded Marines are. I hate it. It's ok, cause Recon guys are training like this out w SOTG, and Marsoc is gtg aswell, soo it will trickle down eventually. It's already started a little with shooters who shoot on their own time. Some people just already know what they know, and dont want to un-know it.

"235 years of tradition, unhampered by progress."
    Since it bothers you so much, why not just write a letter to our commandant and let him know how traditional and closeminded his Marines are? I'm pretty sure that will get his attention

yeah right, he dosent even read his own emails. His screeners would prob get a kick out of it before forwarding it to the Div Smage.

Times change, do you?
    I had a spark after sifting through numerous old posts on a recent topic here. It really dawned on me how fast things can change, either to an individual or as collective/institutional knowledge.

I forgot that it was only a few years ago that I was using three-point slings, VFGs almost touching the mag-well, 12 HK magazines stuck to my armor, and a white-light mounted at 6 o'clock. All while knowing that I was on top of the whole business. I had gone to some dangerous places and prevailed in bad circumstances. I was a good shooter and trusted instructor. I had learned from some of the best around. But that doesn't change the fact that techniques, items, and skills evolved away from what I was doing/using then.

Not all things have drastically changed, some of it is pretty subtle, such as my grip on a pistol, or shoulder transitions and how I have my sling set-up. In fact, I would say that most skills have simply been tweaked and honed, not completely revised. Some of the big things are with gear. Things that we thought were great turned out to be mediocre (HK mags) and some things that were under-stated turned into the killer app (Aimpoint Micro).

Maybe I am just lucky in that I am exposed to a lot of different people, organizations, and nations. Maybe I am just lucky in that I have a job that lets me play with guns and shoot a lot to develop and hone technique and skill. While I think that those are aspects that have enabled the process I would have to say that the single thing that I has most promoted progress is willingness. I am willing to listen to what others have to say, see what they do, and try it.

One nice thing is that I have a steady supply of students to experiment with little tweaks and watch how they perform, with a database for comparison.

I have also gained a tremendous amount of information as far as civilian spec AR platfroms (and FALs ) go. I didn't know until about three years ago how very different they are from the guns in our armories. Hell, I can even remember a time I recommended that a buddy get a DPMS because, "ARs are ARs, and parts is parts!" Wow. How much we have learned, how far we have come.

So how are the rest of you doing? Where have you trained? What have you learned? What have you changed? How has your knowledge changed your gear or your interaction with it? What are your goals and how do you intend on reaching them and setting new goals?
    derp

These weapons came way after the muskets I used on active duty, but if ithe person behind the rifle is hitting what he is shooting at I can't see what difference it makes how he is standing or laying or where his hands are. Just my .02 cents.

sorry to bust in, but as a response to one of the previous posters about having the muzzle to the dirt or down range.

while in table 2 I asked the coach why we did this in the first place. He said we have it downrange so that should we be visible, or when the enemy is ducking in and out, if they see the muzzle to the deck, they see it as an opportunity. Either it being we dropped our guard or are reloading, so as to reloading with it being downrange, it's to give off the impression that we are still ready to fire once we see them, until we get to some form of cover.

As for the firing hand remaining on the pistol grip, it was if doing a reload with a round in the chamber, if the enemy was to decide to pop up in front of us, we can squeeze at least one off. This is all assuming cover is inadequate and we were on the move, pressing forward. At least from my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    These weapons came way after the muskets I used on active duty, but if ithe person behind the rifle is hitting what he is shooting at I can't see what difference it makes how he is standing or laying or where his hands are. Just my .02 cents.
    Your saying you don't see the point of a effective stance and weapons manipulation/handling, or that one technique could be more effective then an other? I don't believe that one bit.

Credits
    Savings
    Wher ei come from the supported stance you seem so thrilled about it standard practice however, when your cycling hundreds of pogs through a course and they are hitting the target and not flagging anyone you shpould be happy, i guess what im saying is dont fix whats not broken.

Are you right, yes, Are you wrong, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by FaDeD View Post
    Wher ei come from the supported stance you seem so thrilled about it standard practice however, when your cycling hundreds of pogs through a course and they are hitting the target and not flagging anyone you shpould be happy, i guess what im saying is dont fix whats not broken.

Are you right, yes, Are you wrong, yes.

Im tracking and totally understand. However, in a organization with so much pride in gunfighting and markmanship, we should be training UP to a standard, not down to a check in the box, werely being happy no one greased he's fireteam buddy.

There is a way to submit ideas that Marines/Commands have for changes that could be made to the Marine Corps and I believe it is accessible through the MCLL webpage.

Was going to say more, but I already wasted enough of my life on this thread. lol

Thread Information