Need Advice - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice

Hi John - I have to say that I wasn't a happy mama when my son told me that he was going to join the Marines. I tried really hard not to let him see any of my concerns but boy did I have them. What really helped me was reading on the internet and books, talking to the recruiters and becoming involved in a local support group. I was around Marines and Marine families and saw what kind of people they are. Now I believe that if my boy ends up being like these men that I so admire it will be the best thing in the world for him. I learned so much from the books and internet and knowledge is very powerful. Unfortunately it didn't work out for my son but I have a younger son who is now working towards graduating high school so that he can join the Marines and I couldn't be happier.

If your family is like mine with not much military background, your mom is probably scared to death. If she learns more about the Marines and spends some time with Marines and their families she may come around. Be patient with her, no matter how old you are you will always be her baby.

JR189,

I am so happy that you and your mom are talking. You've gotten good advice in all your replies. LHMHMOM thought of some things that I think your mom will really appreciate and I agree would help her feel more comfortable.

I hope that the results of the ASVAB will be what you are hoping for.

Again... the very best to you.

Alright Good Luck My Friend.

Plenty of great answers here. Here is mine. knowledge is power. There are many online message boards where your mother and father can ask questions specific to being the parent of a recruit. I would encourage them to seek them out. Some practice OPSEC better than others. As I tell other people my son may have enlisted, but I was drafted in.

Thread Information