The Old Corps
Create Post

Thread: The Old Corps

The Old Corps

Hey Marine's,

I keep hearing from older Marines that the new Marines are weaker and not as tough as in the past. It's starting to wear down on me, exactly how much weaker is the Corps compared to how it used to be? I know the Army is hardly tough at all, I'm a Cadet in Army ROTC and I have been to LDAK and FTX's and it's honestly just not that hard, and since it's officer training it's supposed to be tough and difficult. Is the Marine Corps still tough and hard core like they used to be? I'm so excited to earn the title, but if I'm just going to be viewed as a weaker more modern version, it's honestly a little disheartening. Along with Boot Camp, everyone says it was super hard and difficult in the past and now it's just a cake walk. I hear from my friends who come back and on here, and it does not sound that easy at all, but we just weaker now a days?

Thanks Marines,
    Vance

How can YOU compare yourself to "The Old Corps" when you're not even in todays Marine Corps yet?
    So, how can something start to wear down on you and you being viewed as weaker more modern version, when you haven't even EARNED the title yet?
    Times change and so doesn't some of the training. In my opinion, you can't compare the training that recruits went through many years ago to the training recruits go through today.
    Boot camp is tough...both mentally and physically, and is something that needs to be experienced for yourself!

The main objective of boot camp is that you train to become a Marine....period!

Any Marine who Joined after I did had is easier than I, just like those before me had it harder than I, just a Marine thing always was always will be I hope.

You should worry about what you can control, not what people say.

legioXvance, it is a matter of Marine Corps tradition. I'm going to give you a freebie and explain two things about the old Corps.

First, the Old Corps ended the day before the youngest Marine in the present group joined. This date can be adjusted as needed to exclude as many boots as possible.

Second, the Old Corps was harder because you youngins just don't understand how much harder it was. Also, get off my damn lawn.

Well Said Dagonscript Well said !!!!

Well, you're Marine's, and I'm a poolee, so I'll shut the **** up and get off your amazingly manicured lawns. (that's not sarcasm btw, if it comes across like that, I'm serious! Please don't hurt me haha.)

Quote Originally Posted by fmoyer View Post
    Any Marine who Joined after I did had is easier than I, just like those before me had it harder than I, just a Marine thing always was always will be I hope.
    Exactly Marine, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by legioXvance View Post
    Well, you're Marine's, and I'm a poolee, so I'll shut the **** up and get off your amazingly manicured lawns. (that's not sarcasm btw, if it comes across like that, I'm serious! Please don't hurt me haha.)
    I had a good talk with a Marine Recruiter who was also a SSgt which he thanked me because I served before him which he said it made it easier for him, it's a Marine thing.

November 10th, 1775--Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

A man walks in and a recruiter says "Hey, we're starting up a Marine Corps, you could be the first one to join. If you sign up, we'll buy you a steak dinner." So the man walks over, signs his name and heads over to the bar for his steak dinner. About 3 minutes later another man walks up and sits down at the bar next to him and says, "This is great! All I had to do was sign up and get a free steak and a beer!" The first guy says, "You got a beer too?? Sure wasn't like that in the Old Corps."

hahahaha, that's a good one^, okay I understand more clearly now. Nothing like a good analogy to put things into perspective. Thanks Marines!

Thread Information