MOS 2651 or 0231?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MOS 2651 or 0231?

My time to pick my MOS is coming up because my boot camp date may get bumped up 4-5 months. Both the 0231 and the 2651 MOS'S fit my personality and everything I want to do while in the Marine Corps and after I get out the Marine Corps. I've used http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm to read up on both of them. But can I get a personal summary or opinion from a Marine that has actually been in 2651? I've already heard from Marines in 0231 but not 2651. If anyone can give me there experience with MOS 2651 that would be greatly appreciated thanks for reading.

Our job varies a lot depending on where we get stationed. In one unit we may be doing a lot of computer related work. The next unit, we may do nothing but radios. Yet another unit, they could decide to just throw us on analyst duty. We're basically the "Jack of all trades, master of none".

I would definitely say go to the 26xx side of the house, it's more fun over here!

Credits
    Savings
    Does 2651 deal with a lot of top secret stuff or is that more of then 0231 field?

I agree with Tin. As a 0200 your more likely to be a desk jockey. As a 2600 you'll be able to conduct field operations if you go to a Radio Battalion. You could also go to the NSA support battalion and pretty much be a civilian. All the 2651's we have at Rad Bn, especially the ones that are here on the MEU with me are lazy though. Don't be like them.

As a 2651 in Rad Bn, all you'll really do is set up radios and a giant satellite dish.

51's don't really deal with much TS but you'll usually have a clearance. If you want the classified side of the house be a 2621.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks that cleared up a lot I looked at the 2621 MOS but I figured the 2651 would be more classified and everything but thanks for the info that cleared up a lot. Whats your opinion on the 2621 MOS?

I didn't know that 51's actually had a job lol

Get a language, go 2621. It'll make you more marketable when you get out, along with that security clearance. 0231's job is being filled by folks fresh out of college with no prior work experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rheinmark187 View Post
    Get a language, go 2621. It'll make you more marketable when you get out, along with that security clearance. 0231's job is being filled by folks fresh out of college with no prior work experience.
    A linguist is it's own MOS. You can't be a 2621 at the same time.

I've already heard from Marines in 0231 but not 2651. If anyone can give me there experience with MOS 2651 that would be greatly appreciated thanks for reading.

Hello, based on the results posted above, I would agree with the statements for the MOS 0231. I would like to add some additional information:
    As a retired military member, I worked both the 0231 and 2651 fields. I was in the Navy for 8 years, and the Air Force for 12 years. I have worked with, and around Marines (in the same - line of work). I have been retired for 12 years. My major field in the Navy was the 2651 equivalent. In the Air Force, I would say just about the same. Roles were more focused on Server installation and PC's, along with Paper trail. In the civilian work place, a server tech, or PC tech makes around 35k - 60k (top end). If the 2651 MOS works with Network Backbone equipment and edge devices (Layer 3 Switches, Core Switches, Access Layer edge devices, Distribution Switches, and Routers) then I would suggest getting into that field. Juniper, Cisco, and Avaya are the top 3 backbone equipment areas. My focus was with working with Network Backbone equipment, vice the server side of the house. Without Certs, you can usually enter into the civilian field starting at 50K and maxing out at 100K. With Certs, you can start at 80K or more, and maxing out at 130k or more.

Thread Information