02xx vs 26xx mos
Create Post

02xx vs 26xx mos

I think I have a good idea about the differences of the two, but i just want to verify with current or previous Marines who have more insight.
    The only qualifications for 02, besides the main stuff for enlisting, is the security clearance. To get a 26, one must pass the DLAB. My questions are these:
    If I pass the DLAB, but only want to be an 02, is that an option? Or would I automatically be put in the 26 field.
    If I don't pass the DLAB and do my first tour in the 02 field, would I be able to retake the DLAB to try to lat move to the 26 field at some point?

I have read the thread on the 0231, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the day to day differences are between 02 and 26? Are 02's more desk jobs and 26's more hands on and in the field? I have done a brief search, but couldn't really find anything to definitive. Although I will continue to look a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by asherdasher114 View Post
    If I don't pass the DLAB and do my first tour in the 02 field, would I be able to retake the DLAB to try to lat move to the 26 field at some point?
    Yes. You can re-take the DLAB at anytime (depending on the scheduling of the on-base Education Center). I am currently in the process of re-taking the DLAB (passed it two years ago, slightly out-dated now) and lat-moving into 2671. I have been in for two years.

Bear in mind, if you wish to be some sort of linguist, your best bet is the 2600 field. Yes, 0211s and 0251s can be sent to language school, but the 267x MOS's are designed specifically around foreign languages. I don't know about 0251s, but 0211 is for lat-movers only. Which means your initial enlistment cannot be in that.

I can't say too much about the big differences between 02xx and 26xx, because I am not currently in either MOS. I do know that most 0231s do very little field work. They tend to spend their time preparing briefs and actually analyzing the intel brought in by the 0211s.

Quote Originally Posted by asherdasher114 View Post
    If I pass the DLAB, but only want to be an 02, is that an option? Or would I automatically be put in the 26 field.
    Honestly this is a question that only a recruiter would be able to answer. It depends on what the Intel Contract itself looks like. If you take the DLAB then I suspect you will more than likely be put into 267x if both 2600 and 0200 are possibilities in your contract. People who have the ability to learn a language are rare and in high demand.

You need to have a DLAB for either 02xx or 26xx. You may not have to have it until you actually hit bootcamp, but either way you'll be taking it in bootcamp, if not before.

You don't have any more chance of being a linguist if you go 26xx instead of 02xx, the DD contract has the 02xx MOSs (minus CI and such) and the 2651, 2621, and 2631 MOS. Linguist is a different contract altogether.

In garrison both MOSs are sitting behind a desk but you have a little better chance of some legwork in the field if you go 26xx.

Thank you both for your replies. Exactly what I was looking for!

I think I have a good idea about the differences of the two, but i just want to verify with current or previous Marines who have more insight.

The only qualifications for 02, besides the main stuff for enlisting, is the security clearance.
    Correct you have to satisfy all requirements to receive a high-level clearance, this goes for both occ fields.

To get a 26, one must pass the DLAB.
    Wrong; 2621, 31, 51 require no DLAB. It is the 267X group of MOSs that require the DLAB because they are the linguist MOSs.

If I pass the DLAB, but only want to be an 02, is that an option?
    If there are spots open for your RS and you get that as a contract then yes, even if you have taken the DLAB.

Or would I automatically be put in the 26 field.
    Just because you take it doesn't mean you will be forced into the 2600 field.

You can always retake it, and yes you can always lat move into the 2600 field given the needs of the Marine Corps at that point in time.

I have read the thread on the 0231, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the day to day differences are between 02 and 26? Are 02's more desk jobs and 26's more hands on and in the field?
    Depends, depends, depends...You can't say one is and one isn't, and vice versa. The range of possibilities for either, 0200 or 2600, is so wide that you can't point and say for sure.

In Hawaii with a Radbn as a 2673 I was on a 'team' which meant time in the field and what you refer to as "hands on." But now in Korea I work 12+ hours a day sitting a shift watch. And as you branch out and start including all the other 0200 and 2600 MOSs it's limitless, and you couldn't know what to expect after finishing MOS school.

Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    Wrong; 2621, 31, 51 require no DLAB. It is the 267X group of MOSs that require the DLAB because they are the linguist MOSs.
    As of August 28, 2009 they do. MarAdmin 526/09 dictates that anyone in the 02xx or 26xx field, whether they be officer, enlisted, no matter which MOS it is, have to have a DLAB score on the books.
    http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...IN0526-09.aspx
    The only difference as far as I can tell is 267x is the only MOS you have to take the DLAB before bootcamp. For all the other ones, you can take it in bootcamp.

I stand corrected. I guess the answer is now, in order to be either a 0200 or 2600 you have to take the DLAB.

I just want to make sure I am reading things correctly. I know that I have to take the DLAB for both 02 and 26, but the only specific MOSs that requires I PASS it are 267x? I would have the chance of being 0231, 61, 2621, 31, 51 without passing it?
    If this is the case, do I sign a generic intel contract stating that I could be put in 02 or 26 based on the needs of the Corps, or do I specifically sign an 02 or 26 contract?

Thanks again for all the responses. They are very helpful!

Unless they've changed it or I have a horrible memory, you'd sign one contract (the "DD" option) for 02 & 26, and the Marine Corps would put you in whatever one they feel they need you in. You don't need to pass the DLAB in order to get any of those MOSs, just the linguist MOSs.

Yes you would need to pass or be in the waiverable range on the DLAB in order to go 267X. Everything other 0200 or 2600 MOS would be open to you with a non-passing score.

Not really sure how all the codes go for enlistment contracts and whatnot. I would be inclined to think that there would be separate program codes for the 0200 and 2600 occ fields, if you choose one you won't get the other (I could be wrong). Like my code was E6, which was cyrpto ling with a bonus. You should ask your recruiter for more about this and to see what your options are.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    As of August 28, 2009 they do. MarAdmin 526/09 dictates that anyone in the 02xx or 26xx field, whether they be officer, enlisted, no matter which MOS it is, have to have a DLAB score on the books.
    http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...IN0526-09.aspx
    The only difference as far as I can tell is 267x is the only MOS you have to take the DLAB before bootcamp. For all the other ones, you can take it in bootcamp.
    Good information, thanks Cpl.

Thread Information