LPD-26 to be named after john murtha - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So we've got a ship that's going to hang its Marines out to dry?

Wonderful....

I do like Sparkie's post the best

Contact Reps & Senators

I am a combat Marine (Vietnam), this is an outrage and a insult to all Marines, present, past and future. To name a LPD after this sh*tbird, who in my opinion is worse than "hanoi jane", this is inexcusable. If they wish to name this ship, they should name it after a Marine that is a true hero, not this REMF and coward. I'm calling this just plan garbage and I'm calling all of my States Congressional delegation about this insult to all Marines and Navy personal. I have not heard about this in the press, nor did the congressmen that I called this morning know about it.

Semper Fi

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    @tuboe

Don't let this get you too upset Marine, someone will soon come up with the idea to name a ship after Hanoi Jane

Murtha Was A Turd There Is No Clean End To A Turd

I did what Tuboe did. I called my Senators and Congressman and they too had not heard of this. They said they would look into it, but then one of my Senators is Max Baucus who I don't trust as far as I can throw him!

Please don't bellyache about this atrocity but, everyone call their Congressional Delegation for their State.

Semper Fi

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi praised the Navy’s decision to name an amphibious warship after Rep. John Murtha, but the formal announcement last Friday added fuel to an already smoldering backlash online.

Murtha — “our dear Jack,” as Pelosi referred to him — deserved the honor as a tireless advocate for troops generally and Marines in particular, she said, and she recalled admiring his rapport with them.

“Whether on the battlefield, or on the bedside, he thanked them for their courage, listened to their concerns, and asked them for comment — and he answered their needs, and responded to their calls, whether it was for body armor, up-armored vehicles… radios, you name it,” Pelosi said. “In those minutes [together], he bonded with them especially because he would share his own personal military service with them, and cared for them as a father. They knew it, and they returned his respect.”

Murtha, who died in February at age 77, had served 19 terms as a congressman from Pennsylvania.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, who technically is the only person in the government with the power to name U.S. warships, also praised Murtha’s history of service. He unveiled an official illustration showing an amphibious transport dock marked with the hull number “26” named John P. Murtha. It will be the first in the San Antonio class not named for an American city.

Despite the encomia from Pelosi and Mabus, thousands of Web users remembered a different Murtha — the one who opposed the Iraq war and accused Marines in 2005 of killing Iraqis “in cold blood” — when reacting to the announcement about the ship named in his honor. A Facebook group called “People Against Naming A Navy Ship USS Murtha” had 1,336 members as of Monday morning, and it was becoming a clearinghouse for angry comments and homemade cartoons criticizing Murtha.

Posters on the Facebook page said Murtha, who served in the Marine Corps during the Korean and Vietnam eras, “betrayed the brotherhood,” that naming a ship for him was a “slap in the face” and that if the Navy wanted to name a ship for him, it should have chosen “a nice, stinky garbage scow.”

The Navy was getting angry responses even on its own official website, where visitors used the same page where the announcement appeared to criticize it. Visitors called the decision to name a ship for Murtha “an absolute disgrace,” “inappropriate” and said it was just as bad as naming a warship for Benedict Arnold.

“The naming of LPD 26 after John Murtha is inappropriate,” wrote David Martin. “There many men and women with greater records of valor and service to the country who deserve the honor of having a warship named in their memory before John Murtha has a warship [named] in his honor. He made sure there was an airport named after himself. What more does there need to be?”

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good post Rocky, thank you!

Sent an email off to my Senator here in Virginia, Jim Webb, voicing my displeasure and concerns for future nominee's. Webb as most of you know is a Marine, his son is a Marine and he was former SECNAV. This would not have happened if that was his current billet

Whose up next, a Cruiser named after Ted Kennedy? Oh no that most likely would be a underwater craft!!

Dan

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post

Sent an email off to my Senator here in Virginia, Jim Webb, voicing my displeasure and concerns for future nominee's. Webb as most of you know is a Marine, his son is a Marine and he was former SECNAV. This would not have happened if that was his current billet

Dan

Nice job Road Island

Semper Fi
    Tuboe

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tuboe View Post
    Nice job Rhode Island

Semper Fi
    Tuboe
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thats A Crying Shame!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post

Whose up next, a Cruiser named after Ted Kennedy? Oh no that most likely would be a underwater craft!!

Dan
    More like Submarine, with an all women crew

Tuboe

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    at if the Navy wanted to name a ship for him, it should have chosen “a nice, stinky garbage scow."

USS Murtha GPD-26 (Garbage Platform Dock)

Thread Information