What to do about my enlistment? - Page 4
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Haha dress Tans? I have my sash and Order of the Arrow to go along with it ma'am.

"June 8th" correction ma'am it's the 14th and it's 2 hours after I walk accross to get my diploma. Wasting no time.

I got down with PT this afternoon made it hurt. After we all got done the SGT spoke with us saying that all poolees who do not make it to the mini boot camp will be discharged. He said the the CO said this. But I'll see if I can have it have tomorrow.

Glad it worked out for you. In the future do not ever give your social security card to anyone to hold onto. If an employer or your recruiter needs to make a copy of it for the I9 form make sure you get the original back right after the copy is made.

Ok all you non recruiters out there. let me explain this to you. first of all he enlisted back in May and his ship date is June that can happen. You can stay in the DEP for up to 410 days (MAX), he probably signed up as a Junior and once he graduates this year he ships out. That's common practice out here on Recruiting duty.

Now those Poolee functions I hear people say they are not Mandatory, you guys have no idea what's going on out here on Recruiting Duty, they are Mandatory in most places and the reason for that now is, we have to see that these Poolees can do the bare minimum IST standards, check their Moral and keep them actively engaged on the journey that they have embarked upon. If they don't come to weekly pool PT nor to the once a month PT session on Saturday, then they are considered "At Risk" they need to have a current IST score, unless SNPoolee is a Stud then I sometimes exempt them from my once a week PT sessions, but I make the one per month functions Mandatory because they have to see my boss and sometimes the Recruiting Command comes down to these Function to do Validations making sure that all kids are GTG....Morally, Medically, Physically....

The Minimum IST standards are slowly going up, Big Brother is trying to make a stronger smarter Marine Corps. I would go to these functions because they only help you when you get to recruit Training.

I have kids in my DEP who when they contracted they were only doing 44 crunches and by coming to my PT sessions and Monthly Pool Functions, they have improved to 60 70 and even 100 crunches. So it's to help you better yourself so that when you get to Recruit Training you can kick @$$. That includes knowing you knowledge General Orders & Rank Structure etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGhost View Post
    Ok all you non recruiters out there. let me explain this to you. first of all he enlisted back in May and his ship date is June that can happen. You can stay in the DEP for up to 410 days (MAX), he probably signed up as a Junior and once he graduates this year he ships out. That's common practice out here on Recruiting duty.

Now those Poolee functions I hear people say they are not Mandatory, you guys have no idea what's going on out here on Recruiting Duty, they are Mandatory in most places and the reason for that now is, we have to see that these Poolees can do the bare minimum IST standards, check their Moral and keep them actively engaged on the journey that they have embarked upon. If they don't come to weekly pool PT nor to the once a month PT session on Saturday, then they are considered "At Risk" they need to have a current IST score, unless SNPoolee is a Stud then I sometimes exempt them from my once a week PT sessions, but I make the one per month functions Mandatory because they have to see my boss and sometimes the Recruiting Command comes down to these Function to do Validations making sure that all kids are GTG....Morally, Medically, Physically....

The Minimum IST standards are slowly going up, Big Brother is trying to make a stronger smarter Marine Corps. I would go to these functions because they only help you when you get to recruit Training.

I have kids in my DEP who when they contracted they were only doing 44 crunches and by coming to my PT sessions and Monthly Pool Functions, they have improved to 60 70 and even 100 crunches. So it's to help you better yourself so that when you get to Recruit Training you can kick @$$. That includes knowing you knowledge General Orders & Rank Structure etc etc.
    Just curious are you this young mans recruiter, or SNCOIC? Or neither, just asking thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    Just curious are you this young mans recruiter, or SNCOIC? Or neither, just asking thats all.
    Nah I am neither

I am just your Local Marine Corps Recruiter. The Marine Corp is ever changing with every passing month. I see it first hand, there are policies that change here, that has no affect on th FMF but it affects the kids prior to them enlisting.

They disqualify these kids for some of the stupidest shyt. At my MEPS kids have to do pull-ups and crunches before they can even DEP in, if they wont DEP in and will have to better themselves before they can contract. If you don't show up to these functions, your Unauthorized Absence (they actually call it that) has to be reported to our Command and then they are put on the 'At Risk' as I said before. Meaning they can be potentially Discharge from the DEP. How do they know if they come or not? Well there is a list with all of our Poolees on it and they have to sign it, and then that gets sent upline. Missing one for an event like obtaining your Eagle Scout or a Family Vacation is ok, but when it becomes a habitual thing then that's where the concern will start to arise.

I just want my fellow Marines to know that things are ever changing, it's not like when I enlisted or when you enlisted, every Recruiting Command is different.

Wow. Thank you for that Intel. Good scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Update: Just spoke with the dad. Jeff has signed his contract, stood on the line, oath, everything with a ship date of June 8th -- right after his HS graduation. The Eagle ceremony was scheduled prior to their knowledge of the mini bootcamp.

Going to talk to the recruiter tomorrow to see what we can do. I personally think the recruiter should be at the ceremony -- good PR
    So, how did the talk go with this young mans recruiter? Hopefully, Poolee Schmidt will be able to attend his Eagle ceremony without having to worry that he'll be discharged from the DEP if he does.

When does being any kind of scout be a prerequisite to being a Marine?
    Never heard of that before.
    Hey, I was a dishwasher and learned how to wash dishes, but they only made me
    and E-1 when I finished BC.!

Only being an Eagle scout gives you PFC. Basically, because of the leadership requirements, planning, and fundraising required (as well as the long term commitment) to earn Eagle, the Marine Corps recognizes that fact.

I've been getting the facts all lined up -- don't want to go off all half-cocked. Haven't made contact with recruiter yet but have been trying. Will have final sitrep Monday am.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    I've been getting the facts all lined up -- don't want to go off all half-cocked. Haven't made contact with recruiter yet but have been trying. Will have final sitrep Monday am.
    What's sitrep mean ma'am? Has he not been answering his phone?
    Okay well just let me know what happens I have to call him every Monday afternoon. I'm still worried about this.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Schmidt View Post
    What's sitrep mean ma'am? Has he not been answering his phone?
    Okay well just let me know what happens I have to call him every Monday afternoon. I'm still worried about this.
    Situation Report...

SITREP

I spoke with the SNCOIC at great length today and this is the situation: Jeffrey must attend the mini bootcamp. The dates and information regarding the MBC have been distributed and discussed in great length and detail since last May -- something he would have known about had he attended the mandatory poolee meetings and functions. He is considered high risk and if he were to not attend, he will be dropped from DEP. His attendance has been sporadic at best and if he would have been more active in attending PT and other required functions, the request may have been considered.

As it currently stands, the SgtMaj has made attendance mandatory due to the high attrition rate in boot camp. Ever since the Marines Corps has tightened up recruitment requirements by not granting most waivers, there has been an increase in ASVAB scores. However, many recruits are lacking the physical requirements and are not making it through bootcamp. At least for the Minneapolis RS, this is a major concern so the minimum PT requirements have been increased and regular PT sessions made mandatory. Another way to put it: we're getting the brains but not the brawn.

Since Jeff is due to ship in less than 60 days from the MBC, it is in his best interest to attend so as to not risk being dropped in boot camp.

I understand the importance of the Eagle Ceremony; however, had Jeff been attending the regular poolee functions as he was supposed to and had known about since signing into the DEP last May, there never would have been a conflict in scheduling nor would he be placed in the high risk category.

Sorry kiddo.

It's fine, it's my fault. Atleast I still get to try and earn the title of a Marine. Was he ****ed when you talked to Ssgt? He's gonna get mad when I call

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Schmidt View Post
    It's fine, it's my fault. Atleast I still get to try and earn the title of a Marine. Was he ****ed when you talked to Ssgt? He's gonna get mad when I call
    That's the right attitude, Jeff. Just don't miss anymore meetings or PT from now on and double your PT on your own --and kick ass at the mini bootcamp! Prove that you deserve the opportunity.

You'll just have to have another smaller ceremony for your Eagle. When you do, check with your recruiters because they want to be there.

And no, SSgt J wasn't upset.

Thread Information