When do I give up? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    Don't give up. Recruiting numbers are high right now for various reasons so the Corps can be very selective. There is a line of younger applicants with no disqualifying issues right behind you.

But that doesn't mean you should give up. I highly doubt the recruiter will get mad at you if you pop in every few months to see if things have changed. All the while, keep working and studying and taking care of your family.

tdrt is right: don't give up. Don't let your age stop you either. It's not common to see a recruit in his 30s but it's also not unheard of.
    Thanks for the MOTIVATION! I have selective hearing and sight. I appreciate constructive criticism and the "stright forward approach", but I appreciate motivation much more. Thanks Marine

James

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Ya, I've been saluted a few times... what were we talking about again?
    I've stood at Attention for many a Woman. Still do to

Also the Marine Corps is in the process of downsizing so getting in is alot tougher at this point in time.

It's all going to depend on YOU. The tat is obviously a DQ as you know. Barring any OTHER issues (other than dependants) you'll likely be ok. BUT...as I understand it at this time, 2 dependants are the MAX the Marine Corps is accepting. In other words, if you run out and get married, you'll automatically DQ yourself.

You'll also need to have some sort of family care plan worked out, I believe that's going to be required.

Good luck!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    It's all going to depend on YOU. The tat is obviously a DQ as you know. Barring any OTHER issues (other than dependants) you'll likely be ok. BUT...as I understand it at this time, 2 dependants are the MAX the Marine Corps is accepting. In other words, if you run out and get married, you'll automatically DQ yourself.

You'll also need to have some sort of family care plan worked out, I believe that's going to be required.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the information Sir. You are absolutely right, it all depends on how much I want it, and how much effort I will put forth to acheive that goal.

The tattoo will be removed within the next month. I have established a family plan such as: life ins, med, etc. Getting married can wait also, it's not a priority, as much as it is morally right.

I have everything I need in my civilian life. I would not join the Corps for benefits or job preparation. I think far too often, individuals join the military for the wrong reasons, and forget the primary objective of a fighting force.

Anyway, if it happens, hopefully the next time I come on here to post a thread, it will be a ship date. If it doesn't happen, I will excel at something else. I can be content, knowing I went through desperate measures to join. After all, what is faith without deeds?

Thank you for your service, Marine.

Outstanding! Good on ya, and keep on "keeping on".

Sorry to dig up an old thread but what is the status, James?

FWIW, I graduated from Boot Camp less than a year ago. I, too, was 28, one child and my wife was pregnant and the due date was right around the 10 day leave. I have a large tattoo on my bicept that extends below the sleeve of a PT shirt.
    I had several waivers and had to show financial security for my family while I was in Boot.
    Frankly, it sounds like your recruiter doesnt want to do the extra paperwork to get you in. Id suggest taking the asvab and perhaps running a PFT to show your willingness... or find another recruiter.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

Vin

Quote Originally Posted by il duce View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but what is the status, James?

FWIW, I graduated from Boot Camp less than a year ago. I, too, was 28, one child and my wife was pregnant and the due date was right around the 10 day leave. I have a large tattoo on my bicept that extends below the sleeve of a PT shirt.
    I had several waivers and had to show financial security for my family while I was in Boot.
    Frankly, it sounds like your recruiter doesnt want to do the extra paperwork to get you in. Id suggest taking the asvab and perhaps running a PFT to show your willingness... or find another recruiter.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

Vin
    The tattoo policy did change. So your tat is grandfathered in. His is not as he was not in before the change.

James do not get married until you go to Recruit Training. 2 dependents you can get a waiver, 3 is a show stopper.

Thread Information