Just got orders to Okinawa
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Just got orders to Okinawa

I recently found out that I'll be headed to Okinawa. I'm basically just lookig for some opinions and thoughts on the place. Did you like it? Ever been to camp kinser? Anyone in 3rd maintenance battallion? Thanks in advance for your input Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Loved it, Kinser is a good starting point when going to Naha (and if the sunken ship is still in the bay float a cooler to it and hang out), wasn't in 3rd Maintenance Battalion, and one piece of advice "Don't eat the banana"!!! Have fun Bro, it's a great duty station for a young single Marine. Air Force girls are hot too.

I was at Camp Kinser...3rd Supply BN, and I loved it. It was a great place when I was there in 1988-89, but I'm sure it's changed a lot since then.

Credits
    Savings
    Sounds good to me. Thanks Corporal. I'll be 20 like a month after I get there. Can I drink? I've heard different things on that topic..

Camp Kinser might be one of the best bases in the world. It's small and noone ever seemed to care what you did. Surfside was a good place to drink at, and all the barracks were really close so you could stumble back to them. The pool was nice and so was the gym. Like TJR1070 said, it's close to Naha, which is more good times. The PX is small compared to other bases, but that's not really a problem as you can take the greenline to the other camps for free.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
    Sounds good to me. Thanks Corporal. I'll be 20 like a month after I get there. Can I drink? I've heard different things on that topic..
    Yes, the drinking age is 20. It makes turning 21 not such of a big deal. Did for me anyways haha.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't worry about drinking. That should be the last thing on your mind to do.

If you like scuba diving, Okinawa is a diver's paradise. You can learn to dive too if you want.

Exploring old battlefields isn't as exciting anymore as Oki has become so heavily built up since I was there in 1972 and in 1974-75.

Okinawa is like anyplace you go: it's what you make of it. Get away from the big towns and find the smaller villages up north to visit.

Credits
    Savings
    Good advice about the diving, picked up my open water in Oki then advanced and search and salvage when I was in Cali. Best diving I've ever done was in Okinawa and on Courtney you can walk out of your barracks down the steps and into the ocean. It should be similiar on Kinser.

Man I always wanted to go to Okinawa. Best of luck to you, and enjoy it.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the well wishes. Sounds like there's enough there to keep me occupied..

I loved the Rock as well. I was at Foster and the E-Club there was the best I've seen in the Corps it was called the Globe and Anchor back in 89. Had to warm up there before heading out to BC Street as the beers then were about $7. You'll have a great time, just don't end up at the jail in Naha!

Quote Originally Posted by artypig View Post
    I loved the Rock as well. I was at Foster and the E-Club there was the best I've seen in the Corps it was called the Globe and Anchor back in 89. Had to warm up there before heading out to BC Street as the beers then were about $7. You'll have a great time, just don't end up at the jail in Naha!
    Still called the Globe & Anchor! They did move it though.

Yeah babay! If you find a grass ninja looking mamasan about 70 years old with one tooth -- tell her the wookie said hello! She was like 55 when I knew her but those chicks last forever. My only regret is that I didn't know that she only had one tooth before I got long-time. Or I would have gotten short-time.

Seriously though,, great diving off Kinser.... and eat at least one banana!

Credits
    Savings
    Haha Roger that. Someone care to explain the banana? Lol

Credits
    Savings
    Nevermind... Thank you urbandictionary.com
    haha lmao

Thread Information