reserves or active ?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post reserves or active ?

Hello Marines im writing once again bc im in a jam and wondering what to do. Im currently out of Staten Island NY and I want to be a Marine more then anything but at the same time i wanted to gain college credits for some type of degree im not much for school. Can i receive credits or take classes while being active ? im currently registered as active. my parents do not support me going off to be a Marine so reserves would be hard coming back to live at a friends house bc well s*** is expensive now a days any suggestions ? Thank you for your time and effort

Yes, you can be active duty and take college classes, whether evening or weekend. I think you can also take online classes, but I'm not sure. The classes you can take are, of course, dependent upon the demands of your MOS and your command meaning you may not be able to take night classes, etc. But you can take classes/credits in anything your little heart desires.

And I strongly advise you to take full advantage of the educational opportunities available to you. I knew of a couple Marines who earned their bachelor's degrees while on active duty. Took them awhile, but they did it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Giordano View Post
    Hello Marines im writing once again bc im in a jam and wondering what to do. Im currently out of Staten Island NY and I want to be a Marine more then anything but at the same time i wanted to gain college credits for some type of degree im not much for school. Can i receive credits or take classes while being active ? im currently registered as active. my parents do not support me going off to be a Marine so reserves would be hard coming back to live at a friends house bc well s*** is expensive now a days any suggestions ? Thank you for your time and effort
    PM commdog7. She is an Active Duty WM, MSG in Ireland just about to finish her Bachelors Degree Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Giordano View Post
    OK, since I got on another poolee about not capitalizing the letter "I", now it's your turn. Oh....and for not using puncuation marks either.

50 pushups for each one.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    OK, since I got on another poolee about not capitalizing the letter "I", now it's your turn. Oh....and for not using puncuation marks either.

50 pushups for each one.
    WM give him hell, lol, is your brother on Leatherneck?

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    WM give him hell, lol, is your brother on Leatherneck?
    No, and thank God he's not. He'd be banned in a heartbeat...lol! He doesn't have the patience or tolerance he once had when he was a Drill Instructor for some of these questions wannabes and poolees have today.

wannabes and poolees
    Yeah, I'm sure none of US were EVER in these guys shoes!

I will do the pushups and some of the questions are a little out there but most are decent.

No, and thank God he's not. He'd be banned in a heartbeat...lol! He doesn't have the patience or tolerance he once had when he was a Drill Instructor for some of these questions wannabes and poolees have today.
    I wish he was,lol, well tell the Gunny he would be welcomed, Semper Fidelis.

You can take college courses online or at a B&M college. I've got about 45 credits right now and I'm active duty.

The Marine Corps will pay for up to 4500 dollars a year for college costs. Anything beyond that you will have to fund yourself. If you fail a course you have to pay the money back.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver3
    Yeah, I'm sure none of US were EVER in these guys shoes!
    Yeah, I was a wannabe and poolee at one time, but I never asked some of the questions that are being asked these days........like what's the chow hall food like, can I get my shipdate changed because I'm going in the summer to boot camp and it's going to be to hot, do they still drill and pt in the winter....and that's a few off the top of my head.
    While some may think these are important questions, to me, there are more important things to worry about in boot camp than those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    I wish he was,lol, well tell the Gunny he would be welcomed, Semper Fidelis.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    You can take college courses online or at a B&M college. I've got about 45 credits right now and I'm active duty.

The Marine Corps will pay for up to 4500 dollars a year for college costs. Anything beyond that you will have to fund yourself. If you fail a course you have to pay the money back.
    For once we completely agree on something
    I have been going to school for almost 3 years and I am 4 classes away from completing my bachelors in criminal justice. On top of the 4500 for TA, you can use FASFA which will authorize you a $6K federal pell grant per year. Along with that you can use your GI Bill once you have made your payments the first year you are in. Believe it or not being on active duty in the Marine Corps is an excellent opportunity to do college because you can get as many degrees as you want as long as your on active duty and if you play your cards right you will never have to pay out of pocket.

I didn't know we could use FAFSA. Can we use FAFSA instead of TA or are we only allowed to use FAFSA when TA runs out for the FY? Can FAFSA and TA be used at the same time?

I sure do miss those checks I used to get from FAFSA/Pell when I was a civilian college student.

I think so, BR.

On the note WM stated, I BOUGHT myself a "Guidebook for Marines" (still have it) from Paladin Press, and was issued a little gray thing that had about a hundred pages, that detailed every single piece of information I had to know prior to recruit training. Studied the living hevll outta BOTH those books in the DEP. They answered ALL my questions and then some.

However, with todays 'instant gratification/MTV generation', who can just plop on the internet and google us right up, it's considered 'research' to come here and ask questions, without using the 'search' feature.

For those who think we are tough, wander over to one of the REAL 'Special Ops' boards moderated by SEALS. You get summarily tossed from that site real fast if you don't search or blunder in where you don't belong. And it's not pretty. LOL. Believe me, we are VERY friendly, I think, when it comes to this area.

While some may think these are important questions, to me, there are more important things to worry about in boot camp than those questions.
    Well, that just proves we still live in America. We're allowed to have a difference of opinion!
    It has been my experience instructing everything from freshman band members left foot in front of right, to adults twice my age firefighting and hazmat basic operations that what seems important to one could be seen as ridiculous to another. As long as they have an understanding of the basics, I don't care what other info they want or feel they need. So, like I've stated before, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I'll keep answering what seem stupid, unnecessary, or mundane to others. Especially if this info is used to seal the deal for them joining the Corps because not everyone receives the "calling".

Thread Information