Parents at your grad.
Create Post

Parents at your grad.

There is a thread in the Ask a Marine forum that really brought up a good question that also directly effects me. My parents are in a rough financial situation so a year ago I decided I was going to save up $700 dollars to give to them so they would be able to come see my graduation. It wont cover it all but it will hopefully relieve some of the stress from all of it. I'm just wondering if any of you have taken some of the same actions if your parents are in trouble or are your parents just not planning on coming? I'm just a bit curious. Its been hard to avoiding a answer to my mother when she ask why I wont take money out of my savings to help pay for things. I cant wait until I can write that check for them, will be a proud day for me... Any other stories?

Poolee Vogt

My parents and grandparents have been saving for the last year so they will be set.

i'm doin the same thing as you, just savin up money to give to them, nice job bro! but yeah, my parents do the same thing, askin why i don't help pay for things haha, so i had to buckle and get another job so i can help pay bills and save and pay my bills...lol

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    going home, straight after graduation. Parents may not make it.

My parents said that they will come see my graduation, which doesn't really matter to me as long as my brother is there to see it.

I've been saving up for awhile now... didn't really have a purpose for what I was saving for... Then I realized that I could do one thing before I leave, and that's give away my savings to my brother and his wife. They're having a kid now and they need it more then I do...

Basically what it'll look like:

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    My parents said that they will come see my graduation, which doesn't really matter to me as long as my brother is there to see it.

I've been saving up for awhile now... didn't really have a purpose for what I was saving for... Then I realized that I could do one thing before I leave, and that's give away my savings to my brother and his wife. They're having a kid now and they need it more then I do...

Basically what it'll look like:

Hahaha yeah! Like you said, I'm not going to need any of that money so why not put it to good use! Best part is my mother will be able to see family she see's only once every 5 or so years.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    sucky thing about me is.. I need the money.
    Im about to graduate. I already payed $195 in Senior Dues
    then i need to pay $150 for lost books, $100 bucks to rent a tuxedo for Prom
    $90 Prom ticket
    $80 of my share for the Limo
    then I need atleast $200 for this Legal Name Change Process..
    Im borrowing around $350 (combined) from my cousin and girlfriend..
    will have to pay them back after bootcamp..with the money saved up.

Thread Information