Reelistment (All Vets)
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reelistment (All Vets)

How many of you Vets would reup if Pres, Bush did a recall
    on Marine Vets???
    Robbie

Robbie0311/1800:
    Your question is a very interesting one and one which will, I'm sure, cause some interesting replies. I myself would reup if the President did recall. However, if this were to happen, the situation must be in a hell of a shape. You see, I would have to be with the armor because my creaking joints would alert anyone within hearing range. Then comes the problem of how do I keep all my meds from clattering around. And also the smell from all the liniment would scare a buzzard off of carrion. And last but not least would be the wheezing caused from age,cigarettes and Budwiser.
    Actually, Robbie, I am just yanking your chain. Even though I am 57 years old, I would do it in a heartbeat. Thanks for the post and Semper Fi.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    No no no! We'd have centralized re-prep camps. LA, Boulder, St Louis, Houston, Atlanta, Pittsburg. There we would be whipped back into shape as per needs of our beloved Corps.

I started construction at 28 yrs old. At 32 I was a foreman. Me and another 'old timer Army Ranger Vet' would kill ourselves during the day, just to show the 19 yr olds how easy it was.

At 38, I'd do the same! Semper Fi!

As many of us that would like to go back, even for a short time, I know that the physical would kick most of our butts :dazed:

I was talking about this with someone tonight. My chances of getting recalled is slim to none. Retirees come after Reserves (for the most part) and disabled are further down the list.:rambo:

But if they would take me, I would pack up in 5 minuets.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I posted this about a year ago.

For some reason, I think it fits here as well.
    ==============
    Several month's ago, after watching the umpteenth rerun of the Over the Hill Gang, I had an idea for an updated version.

For those who haven't seen the Over the Hill Gang, it was a comedy about several long-retired marshalls, sheriffs, and cowboy heroes who came out of retirement for one last ride into the sunset. The actors were relics remaining from a long list of former cowboy sidekicks and character actors we easily recognized from long forgotten western scenes we grew up with.

Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, when out of the west came the echoes of "Hi Yo Sadaam, Awaaaaaaaaaay!

Instead of a calvery bugler trilling to the beat of The William Tell Overture as a lead-in, we have the sound of chopper blades wump wumping the beat of Proud Mary.

I don't have much of a storyline put together yet, just bits and pieces of scenes to be developed.

A standing vet, tossing a hand granade. He joints lock up and he is frozen like a statue until two buddies can get to him and tip him over.

Every squad has one man tasked with carrying the squad's daily medication requirements, and is responsible for their timely ingestion. He wakes them up, if it's sleeping pill time.

Attached to each platoon is a corpman, two physical therapists and a shrink. Also a dietician responsible for the daily preparation of the individual food packages for those on restricted diets.

A scene where two men are carrying a buddy, while two others are trying to get his all-terrain mechanized wheel chair out of a ditch.

The CO back at HQ is in an iron lung, while two of his staff are attached to portable respirators.

A scene where the med-evac chopper pilot, wearing dark sunglasses, is walking out to his aircraft tapping a white cane.

A scene where the explanation for disregarding a radio msg is that the battery went out on the operator's hearing aid.

A rapelling insertion from a hovering helo, and some practical joker substituted a bungee cord.

The morale officer was a Korean War vet, and the USO show he booked for the troops had the survivors from the original cast of a show he saw in Inchon.

I can see a machine gunner or a helo mech with palsey, and a Plt. Sgt. with Alzheimer's.

You get the idea. I think if we put our talents together, we could really make this thing work. No actors need apply. All roles will be played by retreads just being themselves.

Semper Fi

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I still think we could make a difference. Last job, difficult at best mission. We would be a Pentagon Press Relations wet dream. Michigan businessman saves 12 fellow Marines. LA Times, Long Beach Long Shoreman leaps on grenade. Washington Post, Williamsburg native knocks out RPG nest! This is nasty business and that don't bother us.

Talking ANYTIME AND ANYPLACE! ! ! !

A simple yes or no would do, we don't need a BS story or a wind bag. I would gladly go back in if I was needed, I know with the knowledge that I have could help these younger Marines.

Red Dragon aka HL

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Okay. Yes.

Bags packed...ready to go...just waiting on the call..

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    to do over what we could do maybe better?you bet yer ass id go,maybe then we could come home>??? SEMPER FI,god bless all,DAVE from oregon

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'VE TRIED TO RE-UP THREE SEPARATE TIMES, TO NO AVAIL. BUT IF THE PRESIDENT CALLED, HELL YA, I'D GO IN A HEARTBEAT. GREAT QUESTION. GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

Exclamation

You know Guys I figured all of you were still Marines to the Bone.
    I'm 58 and I'd go in a Heart beat. I don't think the Pres. knows how
    much talant thats out here.
    Robbie

yes, just say the word.

Talking

63 years old and counting.
    I could still train some to shoot, releasing some that could be used some place else.
    But it would have to be a last ditch measure.
    Many of us would still have to get past a physical.
    For some that might be a big hurdle.
    I'm within my weight/height standard.
    Meeting running time miminum might be a big hurdle.
    I need to start running at 3.0 mph increasing up till I'm at 6.2 mph max.
    That translates to around 14 minutes miles plus.
    A tad too slow to keep up with the "new breed".
    As I said before Afghanistan, I would go back in a heart beat.
    But the Marine Corps could get by without this old fossil.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Registered User Free Member Legalbeagle's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

Would be back in a heart beat. Not as Lean, Not as Mean , Still a MARINE. Semper FI

Thread Information