Getting LCpl on PTAD - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One thing worth considering is that, once your DLI course DOES start, opportunities to take leave will be very few and far between. Mostly just one brief Class Break approximately midway through your course, as well as major holidays like Christmas. When I was there they gave pretty significant homework over 96s and weekends too, so going home on short visits was rough.

If you feel that a stint of RA while you're waiting to pick up class will help you get set up for the long term of your schooling, then fair enough. You could use it as an opportunity to get your car to DLI, depending on how far away home is for you.
    As far as getting your "stuff" from home, it doesn't take PTAD to have your mom throw some of your civies and your CDs in a cardboard box and mail them to you. You should already have your full boot camp issue with you, as well as several sets of civies. Anything that it would be rough to get mailed to you I'd think twice about bringing to DLI. You're going to regret having that XBOX and PS3 sitting there taunting you once your class starts and you have to find the mental fortitude to keep studying.

Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    You could use it as an opportunity to get your car to DLI, depending on how far away home is for you.
    I went on PTAD and brought my car back in the process, it was worthwhile in that way.

I was reading the comments about waiting until your a LCPL to do RA. Seems to me that if you do it now and pick up LCPL your TIS and TIG will start earlier than your peers. I did RA as a LCPL and CPL. Helped both times. They then requested me again but I couldn't go. Not long after that HQMC screwed up and sent orders for 95% of the SNCO's and NCO's got orders for recruiting school. Found out it was suppose to be only 5%. I'm sure you will make the right decision. But RA sure as hell beats working parties waiting for school.

Do PTAD, go home, and most importantly have fun while you still can. You will have plenty of time to study and stress out about school once you start.

Artypig is right, and also, do it now while you still can because once you start class you won't be really able to do PTAD.

Like I said its your career man, take charge get promoted who gives a crap what others think. Make Sgt by 4, and Staff by 5-7 nothing wrong with it.

Brother, listen. Do you want to earn your crossed rifles before any of the other Marines you are with right now? I would. Hell, when I go on Pre Deployment leave in August (granted I will already be a LCpl) I am going to get all of the referrals as possible. They help you in the long run, getting LCpl before any of your peers will help you pick up Cpl quicker, just be sure to order your MCIs soon, like, now would be the best time to get them if you want to get LCpl on PTAD.

Maybe what I've noticed about DLI isn't true, but most of those folks pick up Corporal shortly after graduating the school without getting Lance with PTAD or anything. If rank is the primary reason to do PTAD, I vote not to do it.

who would you follow in a fire fight? a Cpl that got his rank from recruiting or a Pfc or Lcpl that had experience that won't freeze because **** goes bad.. you can't side step experience.

Tin, when I was there the Crypto Ling MOSs had a lull in promoting so it took a long time. That has since sped up and everyone and there mother was picking up Cpl and Sgt just for breathing, but because of that it looks like there might be another slow down in promotions. This is most likely especially true for 2673s since all the FTAP boat spaces are full.

Like people are saying, ITS YOUR CAREER, DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO HELP YOURSELF.

With that said, don't suck at your language or I will find you and life your azz, just kidding I don't believe in yelling.

Thanks again for all the advice Marines. Just curious, is there certain requirements for e-1 to e-3's? Do I need to get certain MCI's done before LCpl?

No it is time in grade alone or by recruiting 2 for LCpl (additional). From LCpl to Cpl it is run on cutting scores, check out MOL under the tools and try your composite score and changing values to see what you get and how it is affected. From LCpl to Cpl you will need to put in a few MCIs... or atleast I think it is recommended. I know personally I will have my max 7 in so that I can take advantage of the 100 extra points for my score.

On the other note, April scores were just released and 2674 is the only one to have a promotion to Cpl or Sgt right now. 2676 hasn't seen numbers in many months, I would have to check to see exactly how long but it's been a while. I don't know about the others as it doesn't effect me. I know I will do all I can to have the best score I can, I would suggest any other Marine do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom1371 View Post
    who would you follow in a fire fight? a Cpl that got his rank from recruiting or a Pfc or Lcpl that had experience that won't freeze because **** goes bad.. you can't side step experience.
    Hence while he is getting it before his school starts! how can you gain experience if you don't get a challange and set goals out! Experience can be gained while he is in school and on PTAD helping his recruiter out! What experience are you gonna gain from a working party picking up trash or cleaning the company office! Field training, Classroom training, and leadership traits he discovers about himself will be where he gains it!

Quote Originally Posted by MossMC View Post
    On the other note, April scores were just released and 2674 is the only one to have a promotion to Cpl or Sgt right now. 2676 hasn't seen numbers in many months, I would have to check to see exactly how long but it's been a while. I don't know about the others as it doesn't effect me. I know I will do all I can to have the best score I can, I would suggest any other Marine do the same.
    2671 (the middle eastern languages) was in the 1720 range for CPL for a while up until they closed it this past couple times.
    Good luck with that. There are MOSs where the cutting score for SGT is a hundred points lower.

Lcpl

Take it while you can get it .Depending on cutting scores some Mos are impossible to get promoted others are cake walks for CPL.Get the rank and the extra pay as soon as you can plus it will help your cutting score with tig .

TIG only gives you 20 points per quarter. Even if you meritoriously pick up LCPL the very next month after picking up PFC (which I'm not even sure is physically possible), you're only realistically looking at a 40 point cutting score lead on someone who earns LCPL via TIG.
    On the other hand, you can earn up to 100 points via recruiting by doing RA while a LCPL.

Thread Information