help? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help?

Sorry DanM,
    Your question was "How long have I been gone"

Since '80'

Here is my little tidbit of information...my recruiter had no reason to lie to me, because I gave him no reason TO lie to me. He knew that I was doing a LOT of research, and knew exactly what I wanted. I educated myself on all the knowledge I could, and he helped me with the rest.

If you make the recruiters job easy, they will make your job easy...you HAVE to be sure what you want, and they'll make it happen. If they know you've done your research, why would they lie to you about something that you know isn't true? They would be wasting their time...

Maybe there was a difference between the Navy and Marine enlistment programs at that time.

Enlisted May 1969 under the DEP program, bootcamp September 1969.

DD214 9 years 10 months 21 days active duty, 3 months 25 days inactive service at time of discharge.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My 214 also lists a period of inactive service .... 1 month 18 days. This was in 85. Currently if you do a 4 and out then the inactive service is lopped off of your IRR time.

DanM doing 9 years active you would not have a IRR obligation when you got out so your inactive service doesn't count for anything. Mine didn't either. I suppose that would be considered DEP time though. My best friend joined in 84 and his DEP time counted for pay. Example he graduated boot camp as a private over 1.

Bulkyer is right. At one point Dep time was counted for active duty time, because you were paid during that time frame. Nowadays, you don't receive pay for being in DEP, but that time will count towards your inactive reserve time (aka obligated reserve time). I got screwed on that, but since I reenlisted in doesn't matter in my case.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrevik View Post
    Bulkyer is right. At one point Dep time was counted for active duty time, because you were paid during that time frame. Nowadays, you don't receive pay for being in DEP, but that time will count towards your inactive reserve time (aka obligated reserve time). I got screwed on that, but since I reenlisted in doesn't matter in my case.
    ABrevik is partially correct. You did not get paid while in DEP. It did however count towards TIS for pay... meaning If you spent 6 months in DEP then your time there counted as time in service. The first pay raise is E-1 over 4 months. The day you graduated boot camp (at that time) you would be E-1 over 10 months.

For the readers that no longer exists that way. Your time in service now days starts the day you step on the yellow foot prints.

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    Here is my little tidbit of information...my recruiter had no reason to lie to me, because I gave him no reason TO lie to me. He knew that I was doing a LOT of research, and knew exactly what I wanted. I educated myself on all the knowledge I could, and he helped me with the rest.

If you make the recruiters job easy, they will make your job easy...you HAVE to be sure what you want, and they'll make it happen. If they know you've done your research, why would they lie to you about something that you know isn't true? They would be wasting their time...
    TRUE.

No recruiter should be considered a lier, plain and simple. A lot of these people that say the recruiter lied, they probably didn't listen very closely to what the recruiter was saying. Recruiters try to paint you a picture of the Marine Corps that is a combo of their experience, experience of those they know, and general information about the Marine Corps which can be difficult if the kid knows nothing about the Marines.

A lot of these people just had selective hearing, then when their selective hearing failed them they blame the recruiters cause they can't man up to their own actions. People that feel all hardcore about "we don't promise you a rose garden," but one small thing happens and they get ****ed cause they ain't got no rose garden.

Thread Information