What Medal is this.......??? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legion of Merit. Not often awarded to the lower ranking enlisted. But 'right as rain' for WWII. Moving this one to 'uniform forum'. And, thanks for posting. You don't see many of these!

Troutzilla, keep us up to date on this. Hopefully you can at least get pics of his 'stuff'.

And, lastly, the 'spit and polish' image that we think of today didnt neccessarily apply to Marines 'in the field' during WWII, or in garrison in the pacific. Based on the medal and the rank, (if he's an Air Winger) he's likely been wearing coveralls for months, or shorts and sandals. This probably came out of a seabag or was thrown together for him to wear. After the pic, he WENT BACK TO WORK and not on liberty or to the slop chute for some booze.

A Gunny or MSgt getting a LoM today would be rare for sure. A PltSgt getting this in WWII is DAMN rare. Whatever he did was something special.

I'd say he rates an 'attaboy' for the medal and a 'pass' on the uniform.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 03-25-10 at 10:26 PM.

Buttons or snaps?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksgted View Post
    Yeppers, and you hoped like hell that if you had "snaps" on your shelter half so did your buddy. When I had "snaps" the bud had "buttons". If you're old enough to remember these, you're old enough to know what I'm talking about.

ROTFLMAO
    That was why most of us carried comm wire in our pockets, Remember, Ed??
    S/F!!! Ken

In regards to the mismatched buttons, are you sure they are?

My eyes aren't the best, but they all look the same to me. If you mean the one second from the bottom, it looks more like the light is reflecting off of it more due to the angle than it being a different color.

Credits
    Savings

More info...

Here is a newspaper clipping about his Legion of Merit...

To read ...right click and save image as....and then use your windows picture and fax viewer to enlarge

Credits
    Savings

Follow up article ....

This is interesting.... Hey Sgt. Lep this is the Marine that I was looking for a couple months ago when all my friend had was a name to go on....This Marine goes from TSgt to Capt. in what seems to me just a few short years. I will add more if I get anything.

Follow the same as above to read.....

Quote Originally Posted by Troutzilla View Post
    This is interesting.... Hey Sgt. Lep this is the Marine that I was looking for a couple months ago when all my friend had was a name to go on....This Marine goes from TSgt to Capt. in what seems to me just a few short years. I will add more if I get anything.
    Those fast promotions during the WW-II years were commonly called "Tojo Promotions." I have a friend who went from Private to Master Technical Sergeant (highest enlisted grade at the time) in two years.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    No not at this time. This picture came to me from a friend who wanted to know what the medal was. He say's his Aunt sent it to him and it was an Uncle he never knew. Supposedly his Aunt has a bunch of "stuff" from his Uncle and the Uncle was on Guadalcanal. That's all he has at this time....I'm hoping to hear or see more from him sometime soon.

Semper Fi
    That makes him one of our "Grandfathers" for sure!

... .

Follow the same as above to read.....
    If anyone is using a recent version of MS Windows, you can enlarge most items like this simply by holding down the ctrl key and hit the plus or minus key (in the keys at the far right of your keyboard to the change size you like).

The scroll wheel on the mouse can do the same thing by again holding the ctrl key and rolling the mouse's wheel forward or backward.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by EGA1957 View Post
    If anyone is using a recent version of MS Windows, you can enlarge most items like this simply by holding down the ctrl key and hit the plus or minus key (in the keys at the far right of your keyboard to the change size you like).

The scroll wheel on the mouse can do the same thing by again holding the ctrl key and rolling the mouse's wheel forward or backward.

Thanks EGA for showing this old Devildog a new trick....I was not aware of that.

I just learned that as well on my new Mac! Pretty cool feature...I need to learn how to SAVE the thing that way once I do it tho...still learning that.

Thanks for posting that article up! Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I just learned that as well on my new Mac! Pretty cool feature...I need to learn how to SAVE the thing that way once I do it tho...still learning that.

Thanks for posting that article up! Great stuff!
    I never thought about trying to either save or print the "enlargement" that's made by the plus/minus feature, but I don't think you can save or print it that way.

But you can "Print scrn" and enlarge THAT image and save it (or use the "To read ...right click and save image as....and then use your windows picture and fax viewer to enlarge and then save it" method Troutzilla suggested). Should be able to print that, then.

Might have to try that on something here, just to see if it works...Thanks!

Hmm....tried it, but can't save it as 'large' size. Cut/paste to a word doc doesn't work either.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 03-29-10 at 07:33 PM.

Found out you're correct. I neglected to see that my Print scrn function requires that the image go into (my) Corel Paint Shop to be edited for size and then saved and printed out. Sorry.

No worries. Now we know

Thread Information