PFT scores at bootcamp
Create Post

PFT scores at bootcamp

Obviously, PT is a huge part of recruit training, but how much time is spent on the actual PFT exercises. Or I should probably say, how much improvement does a recruit normally see on PFT scores from the first IST to the final PFT of recruit training?

Thank you Marines

For me when I went in 2006, we ran about 6-8 practice PFT's and 1 final PFT at boot camp. Since you will be doing the combat fitness test too, I imagine you'll get less practice PFT's. Most recruits improve their PFT scores in boot in my experience.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    your PFT will definitely improve but you don't spend a whole lot of time actually PTing

When I went to bootcamp I was doing 11 pullups, during the final PFT I did 8, I went down probably because my body was exhausted. My first PFT after bootcamp I did 16 probably because I had time to regenerate. Don't stress too much over your PFT this early on, because it won't count towards promotion to PFC or Lcpl. While you should strive to get better regardless of promotion it doesn't start counting towards promotion until your 9th month as a Lcpl.

I don't ever remember doing an actual mock PFT during bootcamp...the closest thing was the IST. We did traditional PT every once in a great while, and some formation runs, but that's about it. There should be pull-up bars somewhere in your squad bay...use 'em. You don't get to exercise those muscles a whole lot in BC, so you need to practice on SDI square away time.

The majority of the running you do is running around like a crazy person trying to accomplish impossible tasks. That being said, my runtime actually improved while in bootcamp. I was a competitive runner in high school and ran about an 18:00-18:30. Final PFT I ran a 17:45. My pull-ups dropped from 20 to 17 though....because I didn't practice when I had the chance. It would have been really awesome to get a 300 in bootcamp, but I blew it b/c I wanted to write letters and screw around with friends instead.

Thank you for the responses, Marines. My PT is pretty good, so I'm pretty confident I will be ok.

Thread Information