Marines on ship- post good stories here-> - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It brings back a lot of memories reading these posts.I was on float with 1st Battalion 9th Marines and was on the USS Dubuque around 78 & 79.
    I remember running in formation on the flight deck while the ship was rolling 35 to 40 degrees in the Taiwan Straits.It was hilarious because it was similar to running up and down hills as the ship rocked.
    The racks were what appeared to be one inch mattresses laying on a sheet of canvas that was lashed to an aluminum frame with rope.I remember a guy in my platoon who took a pocket knife and cut through the rope just enough to weaken it so when his friend got in the rack his weight broke the ropes and he went crashing onto the guy below him.
    When we had chow we could only fill our glasses half full because the liquid would splash all over our meal water logging it due to the ships rocking.We also had to hold onto our tray to prevent it from sliding across the table onto the floor.

Good old LPD-10. I was also on board in '77 from Oki to Mindoro and back. The chow lines were long but the chow was good. I must say though when they sounded general quarters them damn Sailors moved pretty fast.

Credits
    Savings
    I was on the Debuque in '89 for the return trip from Valiant Blitz. Same problems then as when you were on it Izzame, only I was on mess duty and got the Captain's mess. Some of the best chow I ever ate. The New Orleans and the Tripoli were alright, better berthing than the LSD's, but the Tarawa was best ship I was on.

I would still like any ship that was stopping at the P.I., best libo port ever and it made the long boring times on ship worth while. We were embarked on ships for the trip to the Gulf and we spent so many days at sea straight that they had to give the entire crew two beers each (some obscure Navy rule, honest) but of course I was on watch and didn't get to partake so my friend got mine. By the time I got off watch and went to the hanger bay to see if anything was left there wasn't anything but a bunch of buzzed Marines and sailors looking for more!

Great picture sscjoe of the "Da Puke" as the sailors who served aboard her affectionately called her.I believe I have some pics somewhere but, I don't have a scanner to post them.
    Tjr1070 I hear and agree with you on the P.I. liberty since it was out of this world.The women were some of the hottest around and they loved to party.Oh boy do I miss those old days at Olongapo city in Subic bay.

I will say, I rode to a Team Spirit on the New Orleans one year. Maybe 88? The berthing areas stunk of hot oil, the bunks sucked, the food sucked, the 'embarked troops' meal hours also sucked, most of the frame marks were flaked, and the crew hated their officers a lot. A lot.

I got sent over to the St Louis on a cross deck and it was actually nicer, better food, happier crew, and that thing was as old as dirt then.

Cant wait, just attached to VMM-266 today. Heading to the Med with the 26th MEU later this year. Ship life sounds exciting! lol

Thread Information