Applying to OCS
Create Post

Thread: Applying to OCS

Applying to OCS

I'm Looking to apply to OCS, this is my stats and any red flad that I can think of. What are my chances of getting in.

*Male
    *B.S. GPA 2.189 form University of Nebraska at Lincoln
    *I was suspended from college two times for grades
    *GPA from Community College (4 semesters) all the classes transferred to UNL
    *Have Had a Cortisone shot in Aug. 2000 in my left shoulder
    *Went to the Chiropractor in Jan 2009 for my back
    *I have had one overweight ticket in a truck winter of 2008
    *I have had two log book violation Jan. 2008 and May 2009 (was found innocent)
    *I did pot on three dates in July 2008
    *Was ticketed for public urination July 2008
    *I have been self employed from Jan. 2008 to present, driven truck and livestock operation

You're age is pushing it, but that will be the least of your problems.

You're GPA along with the other infractions shows a serious character issue that the Corps will look at with peering and unforgiving eyes. You will have numerous waivers to push just to be seriously looked at.

You will be going to OCC if your packet it accepted, which is more difficult to get in to than PLC or PLC-C because you will receive your commission upon completion instead of the other avenues which has a higher attrition rate, thus higher numbers of candidates accepted.

What you need to do is go see your OSO and discuss all of this with him, and show and hope for the best.

You'll find much more information regarding OCS and other commissioning programs over at AirWarriors.com, just don't jump in there with a post like this or you will have problems. Use the search function, get your information, and if you must, post more specific and educated questions in the already set up appropriate threads.

The worst they can say is "no" until you break the age cut off, can't find out till you go for it.

I agree with slug on this one. You are going to have a hard time getting approved with that GPA and those other issues. Not telling you not to try...but you might look at the enlisted route first.

One Marine Corps requirement for a commission is to be "morally fit."I doubt you'd qualified.

I wouldn't go as far as to say you are morally unfit, but you may have some problems with the pot issue and the low GPA. Too much fun in college comes back to bite you in the ass, eh?

Look, you're never going to know unless you try. Talk to a recruiter about all your options. We can only offer advice and give comments based on our opinions/experience. I'd get moving on this quickly if I were you so at least you'd know.

OCC is not more difficult - it actually has the exact same curriculum as PLC-Combined.

Don't go to AirWarriors.com. Check out MarineOCS.com, introduce yourself, and ask questions.

I know fellow Lt's who had bad grades in college and are doing fine. So worst case scenario it will just be more difficult - but definitely do-able.

As far as "morally fit" comment, who are you to cast judgment on someone? Do you have a squeaky clean record? If so, I probably wouldn't enjoy having a beer with you.

Like slug said, contact your OSO and the worst case scenario is that you will get turned away. You aren't getting any younger so start PTing and get on the phone with the OSO!

So, the next questions is...why do you want to be a Marine?

*I did pot on three dates in July 2008
    *Was ticketed for public urination July 2008
    That must of been one hell of a vacation, haha

I am the current OSO here in Lincoln and I can answer your questions with some degree of certainty. There are several things that jump out at me that spell trouble. First of all, competition for the OCC spots is extremely tough. We have a lot of people applying and very few positions available. You are right on the verge of being over the age limit. Your GPA and troubles in school are strikes against you. Your shoulder and back problems are a big concern. Also, your trouble with the law and MJ use equals a couple of strikes. It is not so much any one thing but a combination of all things that would make you not competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by osolincoln View Post
    I am the current OSO here in Lincoln and I can answer your questions with some degree of certainty. There are several things that jump out at me that spell trouble. First of all, competition for the OCC spots is extremely tough. We have a lot of people applying and very few positions available. You are right on the verge of being over the age limit. Your GPA and troubles in school are strikes against you. Your shoulder and back problems are a big concern. Also, your trouble with the law and MJ use equals a couple of strikes. It is not so much any one thing but a combination of all things that would make you not competitive.
    What if he went enlisted? -- or wouldn't you know about that option?

He could try. He may have a better chance that route.

Thread Information