Garrison Cap Angle
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garrison Cap Angle

Garrison caps will be worn centered squarely or slightly tilted to the right, with the top unbroken, and with the base of the sweatband about 1 inch above the eyebrows.
    -MCO P1020.34G Para 3005.1a

I'm just casing opinions because being a reenactor I'm used to wearing my **** cutter with a slight angle. I don't go WW2 ridiculous (look at photos of a majority of German Soldiers and some US Servicemembers from the period, some of those guys went to the point where it should fall off their head!), but I like a slight angle.

IMO its the way a garrison cap should be worn and its a bit more smart looking then wearing it straight. The only caps I see being worn straight on your head would be a Glengarry (which overseas caps are based on) or that thing long "Soviet" design that opens up into a crease on top.

Call me crazy but I get the feeling someone will want to call me out on it though I'm perfectly within regs. I do remember hearing a number being published like 15 degrees is the max "tilt" but obviously it can't be true if its not in the Order and how one would measure it (or why they'd want to) is beyond me.

If the thread sounds silly it probably is but I'm an old time type. I think they should bring back Cordovan Leather Garrison Belts/Sam Browne Belts for the Alphas, thats a classy, military, and traditional look IMO. Of course that costs $$$ too.

Asking questions about uniform regulations is never silly.I agree with you completely!It has long been my opinion that the best kept secret of WW II is how the British manage to keep their covers on.I'd love to find out.

I don't recall any regulations specifying the angle that the cover could be "cocked" but I wore my cocked in the same manner as many WW-II Marines for over 23 years. Never once did anyone ever say anything about it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fespar View Post
    Asking questions about uniform regulations is never silly.I agree with you completely!It has long been my opinion that the best kept secret of WW II is how the British manage to keep their covers on.I'd love to find out.

Bobbypins?

Back in the 80's we had regulations as to how to wear it.Straight on the head,no tilting,the front tip should come to down to be in line with the top of your eye-brows.

Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    I don't recall any regulations specifying the angle that the cover could be "cocked" but I wore my cocked in the same manner as many WW-II Marines for over 23 years. Never once did anyone ever say anything about it.
    Same here Top...I wasn't in as long as you,but for my 6 years I never got my ass chewed out for it........
    SEMPER FI...............Ed

Thanks gents, I can see a general consensus here.

Since I mentioned the garrison belts I was thinking about asking about what traditional or "vintage" things in Marine Corps uniform history do you guys think they should bring back if money and materials wasn't an issue. I remember a couple years ago during an open forum General Conway mentioned that the MCUB wanted to redesign the Service Alphas and would take submissions from Marines for ideas. I was floored. We've had that uniform (though changed) since almost WWI and when they looked the exact same as what we have now through WWII and beyond (the "Wintergreens" as you WWII and Korea Marines probably remember them called).

I personally like the greens better that blues. I would love to see them bring back the Vandergrift jacket.

That would be a heck of a bringback. In irony, when the Army was looking at service uniform alternatives (before going to this Blues for everything bull) one of the uniform contenders was the "Ike" Jacket. Gotta give it to the British and Commonwealth battledress, its awful stylish.

Come to think of it, there are some more things. I would like to see them bring back tropicals and the old overcoat (horse blanket). I despise that "London Fog" overcoat and that grey windbreaker jacket looks like something I could buy at Walmart. I'd also like to see them loose both styles of those blue wool sweaters (wooly pully).

Quote Originally Posted by GIrene View Post
    That would be a heck of a bringback. In irony, when the Army was looking at service uniform alternatives (before going to this Blues for everything bull) one of the uniform contenders was the "Ike" Jacket. Gotta give it to the British and Commonwealth battledress, its awful stylish.
    The Vandergrift jacket was an excellent alternative to wearing the blouse as a liberty uniform. Of course today, I seldom see any Marines in uniform when on liberty.

I'd love to see the Vandegrift come back, and I agree...the current 'all weather' coat looks like crap. I still have my old 'Horse-blanket' and nothing, IMO, looks better.

I'd like to see khakis come back.

And, as far as the overseas cap, I think a 'jaunty' angle is VERY correct. Plenty of documentation for that.

I always wore mine that way and never once got an azz chewing.

We didn't have no damn Ike jacket - - we had a battle jacket. Classy!! and Classic!! When I got out in '60 I had mine sold before I left the base, but wish I had kept it. Like Top said, the tropicals outta come back also. Kahkis suck!! Five minutes after you put them on, they look like you slept in them.

Just my humble opinion.

My apologies...I meant 'trops' not Khakis. I should know better LOL.

Speaking of General Vandegrift, a very smart angle there

I watched The Pacific with another Marine last night and when he saw (then) Colonel Puller marching along in Guadal with an iconic pipe clenched in his jaw he went, "Man did he really do that, that sure wouldn't fly these days."

I showed him many infamous photos of Chesty throughout WW2 and Korea sporting his pipe in a combat zone.

I think the wooly pully would be fine if it was actually built more like the actual commando sweater its supposed to imitate. Only problem is it wouldn't look very neat for service uniform purposes (they were made to be loose fitting when the British Commando's used 'em in WW2)

Thread Information