What makes a Marine get out and join another branch of service? - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I attempted to join the Navy a few years back but couldn't pass the hearing test. I never did think I was lowering myself by doing so.

like many said, SOF opportunities are plentiful in the Army, but I think the Corps' have opened up a lot with the expansion of Recon & the coming of MARSOC.
    another thing that some guys i know went for is that promotions come a lot quicker in the Army. the "E7 in 7" attracts a lot of guys, especially in the 03 field with the cutting scores so high.
    lastly, i know a lot of guys who went army b/c of the new tattoo policy. they had their tatts before the policy came out but their unit never documented them like they were suppose to, so they got the shaft when reenlistment time came up or if they wanted to go back in. im in a similar predicament now w/ trying to do the reserves. I had to have my chain write letters saying I had the tattoos, then have to get them all pictured & send them to Manpower & Reserve Affairs, & hope they gimme the ok. im talkin to a NG recruiter about EOD too in case it doesnt work out w/ the reserves. There are some good units in the guard (such as EOD, SF, etc.) but my heart is still with the Corps, so hopefully it works out.

Here's why I never considered another Service.I never looked at the benefits,college tuitions or any other "favors".I joined the Marines to be a Marine.I'll never be anything else.No disrespect to those who joined other Services,I'm just talking about me.The Marine Corps offered me blood,sweat and the priviledge to serve.Who could ask for more?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

What makes a Marine get out and join another branch of service

Quote Originally Posted by fespar View Post
    Here's why I never considered another Service.I never looked at the benefits,college tuitions or any other "favors".I joined the Marines to be a Marine.I'll never be anything else.No disrespect to those who joined other Services,I'm just talking about me.The Marine Corps offered me blood,sweat and the priviledge to serve.Who could ask for more?
    OOH RAH!!!!!!!!
    That's how I feel but thanks to all of you who responded I look at it different now. Thanks to all of you for your service no matter which branch of service.
    It sure is good to be able to ask questions and talk about things. Helps everyone understand what makes us all tick.
    But in the end like they say Once A Marine, Always A Marine
    Semper Fi Redman

I knew several that got out of the Corp and joind the National guard and they had one heck of a time they said that no one in the guard gave them much respect and they would get out but there were no reserve Corp untis around the area. They were going for the retirement. Don't know about getting out and going active in other services that just don't make good smarts to me.

Semper Fi

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    I was just thinking about how proud I am to be a Marine and all the respect I've always gotten from any branch of the service and civilians.
    It made me think what makes a Marine get out of the Corps and join another branch of service?
    How does it feel to be in another branch of service after being a Marine the BEST OF THE BEST
    Semper Fi Redman
    For me it was a matter of a few things(I chose to do the reserve deal):

1) I can stay in and serve many, many more years as an AF reservist than I could have as a Marine reservist due to the HYT rules. Basically, AF reservists can do 33 years of cumulative service at E5 or above. I will stay until they boot my old ass out for HYT.

2) I wanted to go to college and FINISH. The Corps has never been big on continuing education, especially for those attached to line ground forces units. Train, inspect, deploy...train, inspect, deploy...got really tired of that cycle.

3) While I do get razzed a bit for being a Marine, I gets tons of respect from the fellow airmen that I serve with now. My unit (711th SOS) gave me the nickname "Gunny" over three years ago even before I had made E-7 in the Air Force Reserves. It was sort of a "self-fulfilling prophecy" when I got my line number for MSgt (E-7) 18 months ago.

4) I like to deploy a lot and my unit pretty much lets me volunteer to do what I want.

5) I like making fun of all the people who struggle with the AF PT test. After having to make a 3 mile run, 20 pull ups and 80 situps for a perfect score as a Marine, I can skate by now with a run of 1.5 miles, 50 pushups, and 50 sit ups and score near the top of my age group.

*** I would guess that there are a dozen or so Marines in my airwing (919th SOW). I'm not alone.

I never understood this. It always seemed like cheating on your wife or something.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's a good one!!!
    I don't think I could ever have done that either but now I DO understand why some change over.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Semper Fi Redman

As a grunt, I could never see myself doing more than 4 years. No friggen way. No matter how **** hot you are or how much rank you pick up, you'll be operating at the company level for practically your entire career. Forget that.

Ive got 2.5 years left, but right now the CG is looking like an option.

Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    Ive got 2.5 years left, but right now the CG is looking like an option.
    I'm confused and terrible at math, you finished bootcamp last March, a year ago -- you are still crapping 3rd phase chow. You have the perfect attitude for a 4 year contract and done.... good luck

I guess the way I look at it is that Marines that go to other branches make that service better, thus giving us the best armed forces in the world!

The Marines that I heard of were true patriots or maybe crazy after serving a few tours in Vietnam, they were turned down for an additional tour by the Corps, so they got out and joined the Army so they could go back to Vietnam.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I really appreciate all the response to this thread, it has help me understand something I could have never done but I got out after 4 years active.
    I always wish I had stayed in because it the best thing I ever done in my life.
    If we could redo all the mistakes we made it would be a great world.
    Semper Fi Redman

Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    I knew several that got out of the Corp and joind the National guard and they had one heck of a time they said that no one in the guard gave them much respect and they would get out but there were no reserve Corp untis around the area. They were going for the retirement. Don't know about getting out and going active in other services that just don't make good smarts to me.

Semper Fi
    That was not my experience at all. I was a 7242 in the Corps, very little grunt type training, but I still knew more than the guard MPs. They respected my knowledge and ability.

It is very hard to get promoted in the guard, but that is because the slots are handed out for race first, then time in the guard.

Thread Information