Going back to a place you just can't forget
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Going back to a place you just can't forget

So how many of you have taken that trip back in time, or want to but
    haven't got their yet. It seems the me the older you get the urge becomes much stronger to see it one more time. I don't know why Marines have this urge, it's like before we left the place, there was something
    inplanted in our brains to return. For me it was 40 years when I came back in 2000. Even though I new it wouldn't be the same as I remembered it,
    it wasn't even close. I was in the 3rd bat. and we had quanset huts, and they were long gone,but the 1st and 2nd bats two story wooden barrack were also gone. Still im glad I made it back, the echos in my mind were so strong, my memories just became stronger.

Well I guess you know im talking about boot camp. So the question is have you gone back to PI or SD have you made that trip back in time?

I did this past August to see my nephew graduate from 3rd BN. Myself, along with my brother, who's a retired Marine GySgt and former Drill Instructor, had a blast talking about our times at Parris Island. It was 40 years for my brother, and 21 years for me. Obviously, things changed a great deal since my brother was last there, but not much since I was there. 4th BN's PT area got a makeover, and they were in the process of building a new 3rd BN.
    Being that my brother is a former Drill Instructor, he was a Hollywood Drill Instructor..lol, I had the HONOR and PRIVILEGE of having a tour along with him, of Drill Instructor School. The 1st Sgt doesn't usually give tours out, but made an exception for my brother. It's nice to know everything that Marines have to go through to become a Drill Instructor.
    Anyway, for my brother and myself, it was the greatest feeling in the world those few days we were back at Parris Island. Ahhhh....the memories. You find yourself walking a bit taller, and the PRIDE of being a Marine more special than it was the day you graduated from boot camp.
    I hope that some day I get the chance to go back again.

Bruce.
    I think about it all the time.
    The trip back to MCRD S.D. is going to happen sooner or later.
    29 Palms is a must also. I actually miss that hell hole.
    Just to visit mind you.
    Camp Pendleton, I would love to visit San Onofrey.
    Look up from the grinder and look at A3 one more time.
    I would like to climb the Mother, without all the gear and the
    Drill Instructors screaming MOVE!.
    To drive a real Hummer one more time.
    Yep

Smitty

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Been back several times AND got laid once! First time was 20 year anniversary and when I rode through the front gate, things started coming back to me. When I saw a few platoons drilling, you could really tell who had just started training and who was close to getting the Title.

Credits
    Savings

A new 3rd BN. I am getting old

I was in boot in 1959, was just about the last in the quanset huts in 3rd BN.
    The new brick barrack were just about finshed. And now you say there
    building new ones? Holy Cow.

Return most every year for the West Coast D.I. Association Reunion.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

I have returned to MCRD San Diego several times for graduations and each time relived my own. It may seem strange to some but I still lock up when spoken to by a Drill Instructor its got to be that dang smokey. What really gets to me is they call me sir now. I added the photo above for the salts I hope you enjoy it as it will take you back to our day on the grinder.

Jim

Went back for the first time since '88.My profile pic is at 3rd bat. It was weird being older than most of the di's.

I was back at MCRD San Diego about 15 months after I graduated and attended the graduation of a friend. I really didn't appreciate how special it was.

25 years after that, my wife and I were in San Diego on vacation. We toured the museum and attended Delta Company's graduation. The ceremony has changed a little, but still impressive as ever!

Like Jim, I still stood at attention when speaking to Drill Instructors, but the highlight of the whole trip was a Sergeant I met before graduation. The museum gift shop was out of 1st Battalion challenge coins so I got in line to buy one near the bleachers.

The brim of his campaign cover raised just enough that he could look me in the eye and say "thank you for your service, sir."

Credits
    Savings
    Hey Jim, I was in S.D. for one night in 1961. We just came back from Okinawa and stayed there that one night and got our orders and travel
    money and leave. as I look at the pic you have it seems we came on base back in the right hand corner by the quanset huts. we stayed in the last couple of huts. I seem to see a road in the picture. But I guess it has all changed.

Hey Jim:

That picture looks vintage 1950/1960.

Bruce59:

Those Huts you stayed in were part of 2dBn., Hotel Company during 1966-1973 when I did my time on the field.

went back to P I this past june with 12 other Marines by train had a great time 2nd time around we were treated like royalty there were Marines from WW2 to present on the trip

I went back to MCRD San Diego once after graduating in 1977.I took my brother who was in the Navy on a tour the following year.
    At the time in 1977 I stayed at the new barracks but, they still had some quonset huts and were still running recruit platoons through them.I never knew who stayed at the huts,I always thought it was possibly recruits from the CCP (correctional custody platoon) or PCP (physical conditioning platoon or otherwise known as the fat bodies).I can just imagine how miserably hot those huts were though during the summer.You not only had the heat coming off the grinder but also off the steel of the hut itself.It must have been like being in an oven.

I went back this past year - to THE DAY next week as part of the 1st MCD "Educators Workhop" and it was an awesome 4 days. I was a bit dissappointed that we didn't spend hardl any time at/around 4th BTN, and there was no female series graduating when I was there, but just like WMARINE said -- what a change! The parade deck seems bigger, maybe cuz I wasn't standing on it! And Leatherneck Square relocated/updated, but other than that - the bus coming through that front gate had shivers going up miy spine and I will never forget those fleeting seconds when I first stood on those yellow footprints! Seemed like just the day before - when it was actually 26 years ago! Now I am older, with a teen in college, separated and wondering I could turn back the clock & time itself and go RIGHT BACK to that very moment I experienced the yellow footprints. It was so surreal last March in revisiting a place that made me who I am.

Awesome post WMARINE, ! You (An Gunny) gotta tell me more and we'll compare thoughts!

Thread Information