Gear help - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear help

Too flashy, but like I said check with your NCO's about it. Most likely you will have to just stick with the strap that is on there. It is all about uniformity 99% of the time. The other 1% is arranging your gear so that it works best for you, such as mag pouches and trash like that on your flak.

Ok, I will. Thank you Sgt. for your input, much appreciated.

Your Welcome Marine. Don't always have all the answers but can always point you in the right direction.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels123 View Post
    You shouldn't modify your kevlar. If you happen to take one to the head and you have a different kind of pads/strap on it, you would be to blame for the failure even if using it the way it was issued would not save your life. We had a NCO PME with a bunch of SgtsMaj from HQMC and one of them talked about this due to a very similar question that was asked. So I recommend not modifying the kevlar.
    Forget that, I wasn't going to wear that uncomfortable brain bucket in the desert the way they gave it to me, and if i took one in the head and lived It wouldn't matter if I died whatever I'm dead. The US Army uses these pads in their new helmets pads do not effect the ballistic effectiveness of the helmet. If they tried to not pay out your SGLI for pads that'd be a law suit and a half. I say if it makes you more comfortable and able to do your job better while not giving up the effectiveness of the gear go for it. I must have spent a few grand on personal gear over my 4 years cause the crap they issued me was well crap. The best part was after coming back from Iraq and starting my check out, I turned in my flack jacket and the people a CIF were like "you didn't deploy with this did you?" I replied "yes I did and saw much combat while wearing it" fvcking turns out my entire flackjacket was recalled due to ineffectiveness guess i didn't get the memo.

I wasn't saying it had anything to do with ballistics. The Marine Corps has specific pads that are authorized for use which happen to be the ones that come with the kevlar. Completely personal choice on using different ones, just one less headache for the family if something bad were to happen. I was just passing the info that came from the SgtMaj.

Probably would be a lawsuit in the end and a win.

I liked the kevlar the way it came, a lot better than the old one I have now. So that may be why. Haha

The topic of the Marine Corps getting a kevlar with a higher cut backside came up also from one of the grunts there. Big problem with having to have another Marine lift the kevlar up so gunners can see what they are engaging. That question was not answered openly due to the Marine already being on his 10th question and time running out. The SgtMaj pulled him aside afterwards to answer the rest of the questions he had. Wish I could have heard what the plan was for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels123 View Post
    I wasn't saying it had anything to do with ballistics. The Marine Corps has specific pads that are authorized for use which happen to be the ones that come with the kevlar. Completely personal choice on using different ones, just one less headache for the family if something bad were to happen. I was just passing the info that came from the SgtMaj.

Probably would be a lawsuit in the end and a win.

I liked the kevlar the way it came, a lot better than the old one I have now. So that may be why. Haha

The topic of the Marine Corps getting a kevlar with a higher cut backside came up also from one of the grunts there. Big problem with having to have another Marine lift the kevlar up so gunners can see what they are engaging. That question was not answered openly due to the Marine already being on his 10th question and time running out. The SgtMaj pulled him aside afterwards to answer the rest of the questions he had. Wish I could have heard what the plan was for that.
    Yeah the corps needs to change their helmets to the streamline Army ones, I don't know how many times I had to take my hand off my weapon to move my **** back to properly engage targets and those insurgents move quick too so you'd only have a split second to hit. Just the Corps too cheap lol. We got to have a meeting with the 2nd Mar Div Commander and we all brought up that same question, and he said they are looking into it LOL.

Doesn't the Army get new ones every other day? Haha.

Looking into it is a common answer.

One day we will get a yes/no answer on something important like that. Lol.

Im not in a combat related MOS but at the same time I would like to see that change too. I feel bad for all the grunts that have to readjust their kevlar after every round they fire.

The best thing to get as mentioned is the oregan aero (sp). Had it on all of my deployments and it was fine. I'm pretty sure that it's MCO that you are not to have the netting in your brain bucket anymore as well. Due to all of the IED's and other explosions they issued a lot of combat MOS Marines a pad system w/ velcro to prevent TBI. But the aero system is by far the best. I think it's called the halo or something similar. I just had to change mine again after 3 yrs and 2 deployments due to sweat and smell, but if it wasn't for that it still worked amazingly. Never had a problem with it moving around on my dome during operations in theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwarrior17 View Post
    The best thing to get as mentioned is the oregan aero (sp). Had it on all of my deployments and it was fine. I'm pretty sure that it's MCO that you are not to have the netting in your brain bucket anymore as well. Due to all of the IED's and other explosions they issued a lot of combat MOS Marines a pad system w/ velcro to prevent TBI. But the aero system is by far the best. I think it's called the halo or something similar. I just had to change mine again after 3 yrs and 2 deployments due to sweat and smell, but if it wasn't for that it still worked amazingly. Never had a problem with it moving around on my dome during operations in theater.
    http://www.oregonaero.com/

I've got nothing on kevlars, but for pouches, and gear like that, John Willis of Original Special Operations Equipment makes the best out there. Its super tough and never wears out.

hey Sgt., there isnt anything called Halo on their website so im not sure which one too get. this is the list of the ones they have: http://www.oregonaero.com/prlist14.htm if you could let me know which one you had and would work best i would greatly appreciate it. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwarrior17 View Post
    Yup best helmet add-on's ever.

I think we might have just called it the 'halo' I'm not too sure. You have to figure out what kind of kevlar that you have first. You prob have the same as most of the Corps and have, the LWH (Light Weight Helmet). Check and see what kind you have first. I highly doubt you have the old PASGT as it was replaced by the LWH. The MICH is the other new one and it is what a lot of the Army has and some of the Infantry/Recon Marines in the Corps. You will be able to tell because the LWH has a little lip at the front and the MICH does not. Here are some pictures for you, hope it helps.

LWH

MICH

Thread Information