enlistment bonuses?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

enlistment bonuses?

I already have my heart set on joining the marines. Although I went ahead and Googled 'marine enlistment bonuses'. Not that I need an incentive, but I wouldn't mind a little something extra. There are a few MOS's that interest me, and coincidentally it seems there are bonuses associated with them.

This is the link I first looked at:
    http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/join/bonus.asp

Then I went here to see more details:
    http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...MIN008-10.aspx

My recruiter is telling me that there are not any bonuses offered to active duty or reservists. I was hoping ya'll could give me a second opinion.

I appreciate any feedback.

The first link is for the reserves.

So is the second.

So unless you are planning on a Reserve Enlistment, the recruiter is correct.

Credits
    Savings
    I am planning on reserve enlistment. I am only a highschool grad with some college (55 credit hours), and he said I could only join the reserves.

If my recruiter is not telling me about these programs, or he is adamant to let me get these incentives, what could I do?

Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    I already have my heart set on joining the marines. Although I went ahead and Googled 'marine enlistment bonuses'. Not that I need an incentive, but I wouldn't mind a little something extra. There are a few MOS's that interest me, and coincidentally it seems there are bonuses associated with them.

This is the link I first looked at:
    http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/join/bonus.asp

Then I went here to see more details:
    http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...MIN008-10.aspx

My recruiter is telling me that there are not any bonuses offered to active duty or reservists. I was hoping ya'll could give me a second opinion.

I appreciate any feedback.
    When using the word Marines, it will be capitaized at all times.
    And please refer to Marines as Marines, not ya'll.

Has the Marine Corps turned to paying bonus's to worms these days? How can the government pay a bonus to these kids and they haven't even completed Recruit Training and may not complete it. Just amazes me.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sorry WMarine, I did not mean to offend anyone.

Old Marine, there are stipulations that will require recoupment upon breach of contract. (i.e. failure to complete training)

My recruiter is still telling me that bonuses are not available.

Is there a way to find out what MOS's are in demand? (Besides asking my recruiter...)

Bonuses are hard to come by because we're working reducing our numbers, not raising them. They can be very, very picky with potential recruits these days.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the answer Fatty.

I'm just wondering what the incentives are that I found via Google.

Is this misinformation? I just don't understand, that's all. I mean, it says it was signed 1/7/2010.

Just because there's money out there doesn't mean every recruiter can get his hands on it. The bonuses may be limited to specific MOSes, ones that may not be available in your area. As a reservist you will have to choose a job within a particular area.

3. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE SMCR EB.
    A. ENLIST, TO A RAP VALIDATED QSN, BETWEEN 1 JANUARY 2010 AND 1 SEPTEMBER 2010. INDIVIDUALS CONTRACTED BETWEEN 1 OCTOBER 2009 AND 31 DECEMBER 2009 THAT HAVE NOT SHIPPED MAY BE CONSIDERED ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS.
    B. MEET THE CRITERIA SET FORTH IN REFERENCE A.

Reference A is REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC (RAP)/YMD:20001016//

Depending on what's in that reference, it may limit the bonuses to areas, units, recruiting stations, who knows.

Credits
    Savings
    Is there any way to remove the amibiguity via the internet?

I highly disagree with offering civilians bonuses to join my beloved Corps. People should join the Corps for pride, not money.

Many units out there lack funds for better training equipment, yet the government is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe more) each year to give civilians an extra incentive to join. There's a war going on, we should eliminate these enlistment bonuses and spend the money on training/equipment that will save Marine's lives. If I were Commandant....

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I highly disagree with offering civilians bonuses to join my beloved Corps. People should join the Corps for pride, not money.

Many units out there lack funds for better training equipment, yet the government is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe more) each year to give civilians an extra incentive to join. There's a war going on, we should eliminate these enlistment bonuses and spend the money on training/equipment that will save Marine's lives. If I were Commandant....
    My thoughts exactly. On that note todays economy is the #1 sales pitch.

^ Lmao...

Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    I am planning on reserve enlistment. I am only a highschool grad with some college (55 credit hours), and he said I could only join the reserves.
    Did you ever ask WHY you could only join the reserves or is that all you want to do?

Bonus. Its almost the same as a young college kid getting a signing bonus to play Pro Football, except the football player gets much more on his bonus. Something is not right here.

Neither of them has performed in their new employment.

Thread Information