SMCR Discharge paperwork (HELP!)
Create Post

SMCR Discharge paperwork (HELP!)

Currently I'm a former SMCR Marine attempting to re-enlist in the Army full time. (I tried to re-enlist in the Marines but was told by my local recruiter that they weren't taking any prior service period) I've gotten my record and there is only one DD214 in there that dates back to my IADT time in 96. I've been told that since I was only SMCR this was the only DD214 that would exist. I've also been told that the only other document that would show my Honorable discharge from SMCR is my DD256. (which I also have) Is there any other form/certificate that would document my transfer from SMCR to IRR? Or anything else? For some reason the Army wants some sort of "discharge orders". (Of course with all that I've given including and the fact that my current REDD report shows me RE-1A why they need more is beyond me)

Hey Jay,

I'm also a prior SMCR Marine myself and the only thing I received was a DD214 (from basic/MCT/MOS and my 6 months on Recruiting Assistance). When I spoke with an Army recruiter way back in the day they said that the discharge order and original DD214 would suffice.

Been running into the same issue, although I have spoken to any recruiters in depth yet. I just went ahead and requested ALL records be delivered to me. I had to send in two requests: one to National Archives in St. Louis, and then one to MCHQ since (I think) my separation from the reserves was post 1/1/1999 by a couple of months.

We'll see what happens, but I want to get everything I can first so there won't be any questions when I walk into the recruiters or OSO's office.

That's right where I'm at right now. Just a little FYI:

1) You'll want to get your med records straight from the VA. You'll have to put in a request through them...it took me about 2 months to get my med jacket.

2) Your SRB will come on disc from HQMC with a password protection (your DOB)

3) Anything else not included in the above will need to be retrieved manually.

I'm in the process now of collecting the final pieces to my puzzle. I have my SRB and Med Jacket, plus one of the Dr.'s records that I saw pre-discharge. I'm setting up appointments now to see Dr.'s to clear me of any "issues" for enlistment and I'm working on my letters of recommendation.

If I've learned one thing in the past 2 years since my discharge, it's that there are recruiters out there who won't work any harder than they have to, so walk in with everything you THINK he may need and stand-bye.

Thread Information