Work out advice, help Poolees..
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Work out advice, help Poolees..

Hey wannabes, Poolees, and Marines. I need some advice on workouts, I have been reading some of the posts on it but damn, most of those work outs seem to be to advanced for me right. I have had some what of a small case of insomnia the last few weeks. When I get up, I am just drained. I know its because I am facing these huge life altering decisions but dang, when your somewhat sleep deprived (I'm getting about two solid hours a night) its hard to get going.

I went to the store and got a pull up bar... Haha.. Yeah, I can see improvement on my running (a little) but i cant hardly do a fricken pull up, and that makes me feel terrible, what do I need to boost my physical ability, and my confidence?

Answer to #6 and # 15...

#6..Question to ask a Recruiter...'Where do I sign"

#15.. Leatherneck Rule Officer,,Agree WMarine
    The only flag other than the American Flag.

Your first mistake is thinking you can't do something. Never think you can't, because then you won't. The trick is not reading but DOING. Workouts too advanced? That's crap. Adapt one or make up your own. Find a workout you like, on here, on Google, wherever, and use it. Nothing improves without work. Do the work and quit whining. I probably sound mean and unsympathetic, guess what? I am. If you want to improve you have to do the work, not sit around reading about it. I learned the hard way.
    Specifically for pullups, I recommend the Armstrong program. Big clue: every pullup program includes lots of pushups. So push.

The answers to your questions are simple. The old fashioned way of getting in better shape physically is to just go and workout the hardway. Unfortunately your a little behind, with your pull-up being barely at one. You still got time to improve. Good thing you got that pull-up bar, use it. Set up the pull-up bar and do as many pullup as you can, after that pull up do as many push-ups as you can. Only you know your limit, the goal is to reach beyond that limit. You can do it, don't tell yourself you cant. It just takes hard work, remember it pays to be a WINNER. The work you put in is the work you most defiantely will benefit from. Don't forget those crunches either. Keep running too and in TIME you will get better man. It's not only physical work that you need, mental is apart of the game too. Work out a physical/study plan. Study your general orders, your ranks, important dates, everything you can about the USMC. After you workout, study about the MARINES that have come before us, give yourself something to work for. Sound off outloud dates, and if you miss something drop and give your self 20. If you put in the hard work, you'll get nothing but good things. Good luck man, and stay on it.

push ups, push ups, push ups....good ones, don't cheat doing them, you're only cheating yourself. Get on a lat pulldown machine. That's the best and quickest way to increase your pullups.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan0509 View Post
    Your first mistake is thinking you can't do something. Never think you can't, because then you won't. The trick is not reading but DOING. Workouts too advanced? That's crap. Adapt one or make up your own. Find a workout you like, on here, on Google, wherever, and use it. Nothing improves without work. Do the work and quit whining. I probably sound mean and unsympathetic, guess what? I am. If you want to improve you have to do the work, not sit around reading about it. I learned the hard way.
    Specifically for pullups, I recommend the Armstrong program. Big clue: every pullup program includes lots of pushups. So push.

spartan, I don't want sympathy, I need someone to help kick me in the ass and get me going, thanks(seriously), and I'm gonna try that program.

Any of ya'll know any good diets? Also does anyone one take any supplements? I'm not looking to get bigger, I'm trying to speed up the muscle "repair".

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMorris View Post
    The answers to your questions are simple. The old fashioned way of getting in better shape physically is to just go and workout the hardway. Unfortunately your a little behind, with your pull-up being barely at one. You still got time to improve. Good thing you got that pull-up bar, use it. Set up the pull-up bar and do as many pullup as you can, after that pull up do as many push-ups as you can. Only you know your limit, the goal is to reach beyond that limit. You can do it, don't tell yourself you cant. It just takes hard work, remember it pays to be a WINNER. The work you put in is the work you most defiantely will benefit from. Don't forget those crunches either. Keep running too and in TIME you will get better man. It's not only physical work that you need, mental is apart of the game too. Work out a physical/study plan. Study your general orders, your ranks, important dates, everything you can about the USMC. After you workout, study about the MARINES that have come before us, give yourself something to work for. Sound off outloud dates, and if you miss something drop and give your self 20. If you put in the hard work, you'll get nothing but good things. Good luck man, and stay on it.
    Thanks Mike, I am planning on going to boot as active duty right now, and that will be out until october atleast, instead in the reserves and going in june. Also I may start PTing at my recruiters offive two days a week, kinda embarrassing being this outta shape though. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by bquick13 View Post
    spartan, I don't want sympathy, I need someone to help kick me in the ass and get me going, thanks(seriously), and I'm gonna try that program.

Any of ya'll know any good diets? Also does anyone one take any supplements? I'm not looking to get bigger, I'm trying to speed up the muscle "repair".
    If you want to be a Marine there young man, you better give yourself that kick in the a$$. Wanting to be a Marine should be enough to get anyone up and going....period!
    Do some research on your own and check the internet for diets. There are a lot of them out there.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    If you want to be a Marine there young man, you better give yourself that kick in the a$$. Wanting to be a Marine should be enough to get anyone up and going....period!
    Do some research on your own and check the internet for diets. There are a lot of them out there.
    Yes ma'am, I got some stickers from my recruiter, with the 'EGA' on them and put them on paper, and wrote THIS WILL BE YOURS and put them up over my pull up bar and so on. Helps being able to actually SEE what you can achieve.

You should go and PT with your recruiter. Prior to enlisting it seemed like I could barely run 5 feet without being out of breath. Haha. I was never into the whole running or working out thing. I did PT with my recruiter Mon-Fri and it helped me out a lot. Keep your head up and push yourself and you will do just fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels123 View Post
    You should go and PT with your recruiter. Prior to enlisting it seemed like I could barely run 5 feet without being out of breath. Haha. I was never into the whole running or working out thing. I did PT with my recruiter Mon-Fri and it helped me out a lot. Keep your head up and push yourself and you will do just fine.
    I wish I could PT that much with them, but the office is almost an hour away from where I am located. I just can't afford driving it everyday, so I'm gonna join a gym and try to go twice a day when I'm not doing the whole PT thing with them. I'm planning on doing running early in the AM to get me boosted for the day and go back and do strength training in the evening. Will that be to much this early on? The one thing I really want to is avoid serious injury before bootcamp.

For cardio and overall strength i would advise buying the Insanity workout Dvd's there not cheap but IMO they are well worth the money and it's an easy to follow workout but will constantly challenge you and make you better and much like pt it's all about what you put into it. I know that when i was starting out it was hard for me to get into any programs but when you start making that hour a day commitment and being active you want to do more and more and more lol. As far as pullups jump up on the bar and do negative reps, as in jump high gripping the bar and lower yourself slowly. Once you can do a few try this program http://pull-ups-training.com/docs/pu...ng-program.pdf.

I can see how driving that far with recent gas prices being a problem. PT with them as often as you can and get out and PT on your own as much as you can.

Credits
    Savings
    I don't know if anyone listens to music while they run, but "Motova8", has some Marine hip-hop cadences, I hate rap, but I noticed a huge difference in my running, gets your mind off of the burn and puts you in 'zone'.

Thread Information