Officer Programs
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member palten08's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Officer Programs

Good evening, Marines,

I have searched the forum and Google for awhile but have yielded little results. I'm sure the question I'm going to ask has been asked before but what research I've done hasn't entirely answered my question.

I'm a B student, in good (not great, yet!) physical shape, stay out of trouble etc, and have been considering the Marine Corps for awhile.

Eventually when I got into high school I did some more research and saw that there are Officer programs for the Marine Corps, which include flying, which is something that definitely interests me because the Marine Corps has lots of superb aircraft that I would love to fly.

I am currently in tenth grade but am bouncing between the idea of going to college for an Associate's degree first and then trying for the ROTC program, or enlisting and then using the G.I. Bill to pay for my college education, and then seeking a commission from there.

I do want to be a Marine and I do want to be an Officer because I like the prospect of leading and inspiring other members of the World's Finest Fighting Force, but I'm not sure what route to take.

If I go enlisted first, how much of a chance do I have of going to OCS?

And I'm thinking if I do the college route I'll just do ROTC, but then again, I would like to go to Parris Island to get the whole experience I've been thinking about since I was a kid.

Sorry for my 'novel'

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and advice

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you want to go enlisted first and become a Mustang then I would suggest joining right out of high school, do your 4 years active, go to school after, and then get your commission.

I messed around too much during my years at school with being indecisive on becoming a Marine. And now as much as I enjoy being a Marine I am not particularly happy with being a 25yr old Lance with no degree yet because I didn't set myself up for success.

If you really want to go to college, do it. Just keep yourself motivated and in shape so come time for you to put a PLC/OCS package through you will stand out among the other potential candidates.

And just be aware not all colleges have ROTC programs, just be sure to find the OSO for that area and make sure he gets to know who you are.

If you are looking at a college before going in, I would suggest "Embry Riddle". They have an outstanding aviation program. You dont have to have ROTC for a commission. If your parents dont have the money for you to go to college, check out "College of the Ozarks" in Branson Missouri. They have an aviation program as well. You can work your way through college there.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Lance Corporal and thank you Corporal for your advice.

Welcome aboard.

You have a few more years to make a decision, but the decision is yours, and no one else can make it for you.

If you want to enlist, enlist. I have many friends who were SNCOs before they pinned on their bars. On the other hand, I have friends who are going to be excellent platoon commanders who are 23-24 years old and who either came from the Naval Academy, or various NROTC programs.

It sounds like you have a good mindset, but keep in mind that all Marine Officer's are provisional rifle platoon commanders. Some Flight Contracts are in for a big surprise once they arrive at The Basic School.

Make better grades, and during your senior year contact an Officer Selection Office about your options.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, Lieutenant

I concur with the Lieutenant, and recommend you strongly consider college after graduating. Education and life experience will never hold you back.

SF,
    Lt A

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    I concur with the Lieutenant, and recommend you strongly consider college after graduating. Education and life experience will never hold you back.

SF,
    Lt A

Credits
    Savings
    If I do go the Enlisted route, how exactly do I obtain my commission?

I'm certain you have to reach a NCO rank first, but, do you still have to go to an OSO and talk to them?

you have to have a college degree. We had one Marine in my platoon that was sent off to OCS while we were in our MOS school.

Being enlisted has it's advantages and disavantages. I strongly encourage you to pursue college first. The two colleges I mentioned previously would put you in a good spot for a commision.

These sites might help you out some....

Marine Officer
    FAQ
    General Questions
    http://officer.marines.com/marine/global/faq

THE PATH TO BECOMING A MARINE CORPS OFFICER
    http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...course-occ.php

Officers - Marine Corps
    http://www.marines.com/main/index/ma...bility/officer

Officer Candidates School
    MCB Quantico, VA
    http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

Marine Corps Officer Job Desriptions
    Main Menu
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/offic...erjobsmenu.htm

ABCs of the ASVAB
    ASVAB and Commissioning
    Marine Corps. Candidates for Marine OCC (Officer Candidate Class) or PLC (Platoon Leaders Course), must score a minimum of 115 on the Marine's GT line sore of the ASVAB. Candidates can also qualify with a minmum combined score of 1000 on the verbal and math sections of the SAT, or a combined math and verbal score of 45 on the ACT.
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...commission.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you WMarine and TunTvrnWarrior for your suggestions

I am considering college, yes, it has been on my mind since I was a Freshman.

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure what tuition will look like by the time my Senior year rolls around, so I was thinking going Enlisted and using the GI Bill to pursue a college education.

Then again, I am NOT using the Marine Corps for college. I've wanted to be a Marine since I was a kid and since getting to High School I learned that they can pay for college, which is required if I want to become an Officer.

Plus I want to go to Parris Island and get the whole experience

If your parents income level is below the cut off at "College of the Ozarks", you can work your way through college there on campus and come out debt free at the end of college without getting a loan. They have an aviation program on campus. I would look at it seriously right now. They are located in Branson Missouri.

MECEP is a somewhat common way to go officer from enlisted. The way I understand it, if you're accepted to the MECEP program (I believe any NCO or SNCO can apply, but it's usually not given to Corporals from what I understand, and Sgts are somewhat rare too) the MC will pay for your college course, IN ADDITION to paying you for active duty. So if you're a Sgt that gets accepted, you'll have your college paid for, you'll be making active duty Sgts pay, BAH, all that fun stuff... and I'm guessing you'd still have your GI bill to use for a higher degree or spouse at a later time.

Now, I've been known to be wrong (I'm only human) but that's the gist of the MECEP. There are other programs as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

Thread Information