Appointed Drill Instructor :)
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Appointed Drill Instructor :)

I just got the good news i will be the DI for the upcoming Young Marine boot camp. Now, we're not aloud to hit the recruits and the recruits cant hit each other, that's about the only rules. I'm looking for tips on fun ways to PT, and good ways to install some discipline. i have a few idea in my head already. but if anybody would like to help, I'd be happy!

Credits
    Savings

Its Drill Instructor, not DI. Other Marines on this forum don't tolerate it when wannabe's/poolee's call drill instructors DI's.

On topic, when our drill instructors pt'd us, it would be a combination of exercises. We would do pushups for a few seconds then we would be told to crunch, so we'd flip back into crunches, then side staddle hops, then back to pushups. There are a few more exercises I can't think of at the moment but you get the idea.

There's POWs, Mountain Climbers, Sharks, Bends and Thrusts, 8 Counts, 4 count Push-Ups done reeeaallll slow and making sure to pause in the half-way up position for about 30 seconds and you can do the same thing with sit-ups, Flutter Kicks, and so many more I'm probably forgetting.

edit: I forgot Bridges while singing, you could make them sing the Marine Corps Hymn while doing bridges.

It's always a good one after a good session to just make them hold a push up position for a certain amount of time and when someone drops you start the time over. someone will always drop. And my favorite... "Go touch my tree right now!"

First, what is your mission? What are you required to instill in these "recruits"? That is your foundation. You train and discipline from there. As a Drill Instructor you are a professional, you lead by example. You have not earned the title of Marine yet, much less have gone through Drill Instructor School. I have not been through Drill Instructor School, but I have earned the title Marine. Put aside your youthful enthusiasm for a moment and think about what you are about to do. Leadership demands maturity. If you discipline them, there must be a purpose, aside from the introductory thrashing. As for excercises, look up "Mountain Climbers", "Bends and Thrusts", Marine Corps Pushups, Diamond pushups, side strattle hops, etc...
    Think about the title of Drill Instructor. What does that mean? Just those two words. Strive to make them a team in every movement, every order, in complete unison without thinking. Be a student of your recruits, yourself and the ones over you who have earned the title of Marine. If you have competing platoons in this pretend boot camp, your goal is to outshine the other platoons with your platoon.

Just don't let whatever authority you will be given as a Young Marines Drill Instructor go to your head, or it will get you in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    First, what is your mission? What are you required to instill in these "recruits"? That is your foundation. You train and discipline from there. As a Drill Instructor you are a professional, you lead by example. You have not earned the title of Marine yet, much less have gone through Drill Instructor School. I have not been through Drill Instructor School, but I have earned the title Marine. Put aside your youthful enthusiasm for a moment and think about what you are about to do. Leadership demands maturity. If you discipline them, there must be a purpose, aside from the introductory thrashing. As for excercises, look up "Mountain Climbers", "Bends and Thrusts", Marine Corps Pushups, Diamond pushups, side strattle hops, etc...
    Think about the title of Drill Instructor. What does that mean? Just those two words. Strive to make them a team in every movement, every order, in complete unison without thinking. Be a student of your recruits, yourself and the ones over you who have earned the title of Marine. If you have competing platoons in this pretend boot camp, your goal is to outshine the other platoons with your platoon.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by YMsgtApodaca View Post
    I just got the good news i will be the DI for the upcoming Young Marine boot camp. Now, we're not aloud to hit the recruits and the recruits cant hit each other, that's about the only rules. I'm looking for tips on fun ways to PT, and good ways to install some discipline. i have a few idea in my head already. but if anybody would like to help, I'd be happy!
    There will be many "games" and lots of quick instructions. The best thing you can focus your efforts on is ensuring the recruits are on time in the proper uniform. If they are late and show up like a bag of ass it's best to fix them until they are squared away.

I'm sure that you'll find plenty of other advise within this thread from other Marines, take it for what it's worth. Try not to go over board and ensure that the recruits learn something and want to come back or else the unit won't have any fresh bodies later on.

I was once in your shoes back in 1997/1998 as a Young Marine. I had excelled through meritorious promotions and eventually from the junior unit Drill Instructor to the unit commander. One thing you must always keep in mind, no matter what happens in the Young Marines each and every one of the members are your PEERS! You will find later in life if you come up in the Marine Corps that your peers from Young Marines will meet you all over the world.

I was a Young Marine for 3 years and over the course of a 9 year career in the Marine Corps I ran into 3 years worth of Young Marines that I entered the program with, training while in the program and said farewell to as I left the program to go to the Marine Corps.

Use your time wisely and mentor those under your.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Just don't let whatever authority you will be given as a Young Marines Drill Instructor go to your head, or it will get you in trouble.

Thank for all of your input on the exercise department and my mental state of mind. During my YM boot camp there were still some idiots who couldn't stand still for more then 2 minutes. So our Drill Instructors set up a very wet and muddy obstacle course, at the end we realized that it was definitely to easy, personally i thought it was to build some self confidence. Then i found myself standing in formation with cold muddy water up to my knees, mind you i had a winter boot camp, honestly i don't think it got above 40. They brought out the water house and sprayed us all down, i thought, "cool a shower!" WRONG! everytime somebody moved we all got sprayed with the water house, and the person that moved got to dunk themselves in the cold water. All they wanted was 5 minutes of the whole platoon at the POA. Through the rest of the boot camp the word "water house" would get everybody in line, in a snap! this is the kind of thing im looking for, but maybe not so harsh. I was put in charge of fixing our last batch of Young Marines and it was really freakin hard cuz half them didnt have any damn discipline. as far as knowledge goes they only gotta learn very basics but im try and get them to YM/L.Cpl. knowledge

leg lifts having them hold at 6 inches, having them hold something weighty straight armed in front of them for several minutes, be creative, but don't put yourself in a position to where you have to answer for something stupid you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    There will be many "games" and lots of quick instructions. The best thing you can focus your efforts on is ensuring the recruits are on time in the proper uniform. If they are late and show up like a bag of ass it's best to fix them until they are squared away.

I'm sure that you'll find plenty of other advise within this thread from other Marines, take it for what it's worth. Try not to go over board and ensure that the recruits learn something and want to come back or else the unit won't have any fresh bodies later on.

I was once in your shoes back in 1997/1998 as a Young Marine. I had excelled through meritorious promotions and eventually from the junior unit Drill Instructor to the unit commander. One thing you must always keep in mind, no matter what happens in the Young Marines each and every one of the members are your PEERS! You will find later in life if you come up in the Marine Corps that your peers from Young Marines will meet you all over the world.

I was a Young Marine for 3 years and over the course of a 9 year career in the Marine Corps I ran into 3 years worth of Young Marines that I entered the program with, training while in the program and said farewell to as I left the program to go to the Marine Corps.

Use your time wisely and mentor those under your.
    That is amazing! it's always nice to hear about when Young Marines become Marines.

Back in 98 i bet you had the Yellow Monster? God sometimes our new guidebooks can be such a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by YMsgtApodaca View Post
    Back in 98 i bet you had the Yellow Monster?
    Right you are, and to this day I still have it somewhere in a box along with everything else from Parris Island and all the other schools I went through

I agree with all of the Marines on here, however let me give you some quick insight. I am currently the Executive Officer of the Spoon River Valley Young Marines, here in Galesburg, Il. On that note, as an XO of Young Marines, I will remind you of somethings. First, and foremost, you have a new found Leadership position. Your job as a YM Drill Instructor is not to go in there like a bad outa of hell with the intent of causing low moral, and suffering among your new Recruits. Remember this is the Young Marines, not the United States Marines. Use your position wisely, and teach what you have learned as a Young Marine yourself. Your job is to lead, and mentor under the watchful eye of your Commander, Executive Officer, and Training Staff. Your job is not to haze the young Kids that are new to the program. To be the example, you need to set the example. If you start your current cycle off crappy, and don't teach them the basics you will have problems, and kids will leave the program, before they even graduate. I wish you the best of luck, and ask that you do your job right. Semper Fi!!

Thread Information