AF dep wanting to switch
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

AF dep wanting to switch

OK currently i am an airforce depper but i wanted to switch branches and since how the airforce chat guys refuse to talk to me calling me a cotton necked quitter. I just done feel like the technology field is for me and i would like to switch to infantry. How do i get out of this situation? i have already swore in and everything too.

How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to.

Credits
    Savings
    WTF is a 'cotton necked quitter'?

Credits
    Savings
    hell if i know thats what i got called tho.

-Is the DEP binding? How can I get out of it?

Question: – Is the DEP binding? How can I get out of it?

Answer: Legally, the Delayed Enlistment Program is a binding contract. When one enlists in the DEP, one becomes a member of the inactive reserves, and is obligated to report for active duty on the date indicated on the enlistment contract. In fact, paragraph 8a of the enlistment contract (DD Form 4/1) states: "I understand that I will be ordered to active duty as a Reservist unless I report to the place shown in item 4 by (date) for enlistment in the Regular Componant of the United States (Branch of Service)..."

However, under current policies, all of the military services will honor requests for discharge from the DEP. Such requests should be in writing. If an individual should fail to request a discharge from the DEP, and then fail to show up on the agreed upon date, usually they are then discharged automatically from the DEP within six months (until they are officially discharged, individuals are ineligible to enlist in any branch of the service).

If one is discharged from the DEP, in order to enlist again in that same service, one would require a waiver to be issued by the Recruiting Squadron/Batallion/Division. This means that if one is discharged from the DEP and wants to later rejoin that same service, because he/she will require a waiver, many enlistment options (such as guaranteed job or enlistment bonus) may not be available to them.
    As far as I've been able to determine, being discharged from the DEP in one service, and then applying to join a different service, does not require a waiver. More details about DEP discharges can be found in my feature articles The Delayed Enlistment Program, or What's in an Oath?, or What the Recruiter Never Told You.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/f/faqdep.htm

The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP)
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

I would have to guess...talk to a recruiter?

Credits
    Savings
    so on average how long would it take my leave from dep to be processed and is there a waiting time before joining another branch...?

Quote Originally Posted by Futhork
    so on average how long would it take my leave from dep to be processed and is there a waiting time before joining another branch...?

Most of the Marines here aren't recruiters, so we can't answer that question for you. Yes, there are a few recruiters who come on the boards from time to time, but until then and like polizei said, talk with a recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    ok well ill talk to my af recruiter last. since he will be mad if i get this to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    WTF is a 'cotton necked quitter'?
    I have never heard that one either .

Thread Information