Recruiter telling the truth? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    It urks me when a poolee/civilian calls a GySgt a Gunny. Where I work, I even hear civilians calling a SSgt a Gunny (all the time!). All non-Marines need to use the proper (formal) rank when addressing a Marine.

For those who earned the title, it depends on the GySgt and your rank. Some GySgt's don't like being called Gunny at all and others don't like being called Gunny by boot Marines. But most Marines don't mind it, and it is best to call him/her by their formal rank unless told otherwise.
    Especially in Emails!

Yeah, no reason not to type GySgt instead of Gunny, it's the same amount of letters and makes you look like you know what you're talking about. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderboater View Post
    he's going to be in for a rude awakening when he meets his senior lance cpls for the first time . As far as calling gunnery sgt a gunny...I never had a problem with it. Usually Gunnery Sgt's prefer the term Gunny. Though I really think that's up to the Gunnery Sgt's discretion and not ours.
    Moderboater, it's what I said and commdog said.....it's not a problem with Marines using Gunny for short, it's when wannabes and poolees use Gunny for short.
    These wannabes and poolees want to be Marines, then out of RESPECT, they should be calling a Marine by their proper rank and name, and I don't care if the GySgt said it's OK for him/her to call a GySgt Gunny.

Maybe the said Gunny in question said for this poolee to call him Gunny. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. How big of a deal is it? He will still go to boot camp where he will be calling everyone by proper rank and Sir and whatnot. Its not like this poolee is calling his recruiter dude or something bad. Jeez, A friendly reminder to update a profile or fix something small is one thing, but this is not that case, you guys are going to cause some young guy or girl to not join cause they think Marines are a bunch of A-holes.

It's not about being @ssholes, it's about respect. This poolee didn't know, but now he does.

We are looking out for him. We don't want him picking up any bad habits before he earns the title. We are saving him from an ass-chewing and a bad first impression when he hits the fleet by teaching him the proper titles for senior Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    It's not about being @ssholes, it's about respect. This poolee didn't know, but now he does.

We are looking out for him. We don't want him picking up any bad habits before he earns the title. We are saving him from an ass-chewing and a bad first impression when he hits the fleet by teaching him the proper titles for senior Marines.
    Its better to call them Gunny, Top, Master Guns than it is calling them all Sarg!!! Damn Army pukes make me sick, oh wait my little brother is one, so was my ex-wife lmao. Seriously its not our place to say what goes with the indiviual Marine! If the Gunny said to call him that then so be it! Plus they are still civilians (Poolee or wannabe) so you can't really tell them what they can or can't say! you can ask that they use Marine Corps terminology but then others will say they don't rate so then everyone confuses the hell out of them! Their Recruiters and Drill Instructors will teach them the way! Its the way it has always been and will be!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I think I'm going to try this...
    Did it work?

Did you accomplish your mission?

Haha... I didn't try it, I would feel like crap if the applicant came on here and asked the same thing... I'd be a turd...

Thread Information