Who is it?
Create Post

Thread: Who is it?

Who is it?

WHO is it?

Extra points for describing the uniform and decorations...and why they are so special.

I read something about him before. He is Major Cucella (sorry cant remember how it was spelled) and he recieved 2 Medals of Honor, Army and Navy. Also a Silver Star and tons of others. He started off Army Enlisted and got to Marine Gunny before becoming an officer. Can't really remember the details but his feats were up there with the best.

Ding! We have a winnah! "Cukela" is the correct spelling. But you got it.

Now, which MOH is he wearing?

that would be this one

Between 1919 and 1942, the Navy issued two separate versions of the Medal of Honor, one for non-combat bravery and the other for combat related acts. Official accounts vary, but generally the non-combat Medal of Honor was known as the Tiffany Cross, after the company that manufactured the medal. The Tiffany Cross was first issued in 1919 but was rare and unpopular, partly because it was presented both for combat and noncombat events.[24] As a result, in 1942, the United States Navy reverted to a single Medal of Honor, awarded only for heroism.[25]

Which one? Look carefully (Yes, it's a trick question)

the one he is wearing I think is for non-combat why i don't know and Sgt Lep stop tring to make me think this late in the day it hurts

Holy cow. I just read the Major's bio....that is a bad mo-fo!!! Especially his actions which earned him the MOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Which one? Look carefully (Yes, it's a trick question)

Is he wearing both? (one around neck, one on chest)

the one around his neck is this one

World War I U.S. Navy Medal of Honor ("Tiffany Cross" pattern)

Photograph taken during World War II, showing the Medal of Honor designed by Tiffany & Company that was awarded for First World War Service and discontinued in 1942.
    The medal was authorized by Congress on 4 February 1919 for presentation in the name of Congress by the President to Naval personnel who shall "in action involving actual conflict with the enemy, distinguish himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty" and without detriment to his mission.

the one on his chest it the Army one

this looks like the one on his chest (Army)

Firedog nailed it.

His MOH's were both awarded for the same action in WWI (an uncommon but not unheard of practice).

He's wearing the Navy MOH around his neck, and a MINI MOH (which many people believe to this day didn't exist and wasn't authorized for wear) as part of his ribbon bar. The Navy MOH looks to me like a longer ribbon drape with no neck band, pinned to the top of the Mess Dress collar.

Another 'fun' fact...the decorations directly behind the Mini MOH are all Foriegn awards....

Technically, he's wearing them 'out of order'.

But, then again, I don't know any Marine whose gonna tell a double MOH winner he's jacked up.... Do you???

LOL

Also, this style of "Mess Dress" with the super elaborate cuffs, went out of style/regs sometime around WWII.

[quote=Sgt Leprechaun;598356]

He's wearing the Navy MOH around his neck, and a MINI MOH (which many people believe to this day didn't exist and wasn't authorized for wear) as part of his ribbon bar.
    LOL
    [quote]

Intersting thing is that even though the "mini" MOH isn't authorized, I have still seen one. I was fortunate to meet Col. Mitchell Paige on many occasions and was able to spend an afternoon with he and his wife at their house. It was a sight to be seen, let me tell you. He had his "show" MOH, which was an anodized version that he wore to events and he had his "original" in a protective case. From what I remember, he had a shadowbox that was made for him that had all of his mini medals, to include a "mini" MOH. Even up until the time his health started to deteriorate, he would still get out a few times a year and fire off a few rounds out of a 30cal. water-cooled machine gun like he used on Guadacanal. Hell, he even fought as a civilian in Vietnam. Hard ass Marine, but overall a gentle human being. Great person, great example.

Thread Information