I'm back
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm back

I'm back

Some of you may remember me from last summer. My son left for boot camp in June after a year in DEP. After about a month I received a call from him saying that medical was sending him home but I got no details. I came to you for information and you were amazing. My son is doing really well, will be starting school soon and is considering trying again after the required two year wait. Thank you all again for all of the kind words and encouragement during that time. I've lurked here from time to time since then but haven't posted until now.

I'm back because I have a younger son, 17, who now wants to be a Marine. He is working really hard to get his high school diploma. School has always been a real challenge for him but I know that he can do it. If all goes well he will graduate in December of this year. He spent a lot of time with the recruiters when his brother was in DEP and they know that he is interested. He has been contacted once or twice but we haven't signed any paperwork yet. I want him to get a little closer to getting that diploma before we sign anything just in case it takes him longer to graduate.

I've told you all before but I want to tell you again. This site and the Marines on it are the best. You helped me through adjusting to my older sons decision to become a Marine, the year wait for him to leave, and the very long week between the time that he called to tell us that he was coming home and the time that we picked him up from the airport. That was the longest week of my life.

I just wanted to warn you that I'm back and may need help again!! Honestly though, I couldn't be happier!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nothing so fierce as a proud mom,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by LHMHMOM View Post
    Some of you may remember me from last summer. My son left for boot camp in June after a year in DEP. After about a month I received a call from him saying that medical was sending him home but I got no details. I came to you for information and you were amazing. My son is doing really well, will be starting school soon and is considering trying again after the required two year wait. Thank you all again for all of the kind words and encouragement during that time. I've lurked here from time to time since then but haven't posted until now.

I'm back because I have a younger son, 17, who now wants to be a Marine. He is working really hard to get his high school diploma. School has always been a real challenge for him but I know that he can do it. If all goes well he will graduate in December of this year. He spent a lot of time with the recruiters when his brother was in DEP and they know that he is interested. He has been contacted once or twice but we haven't signed any paperwork yet. I want him to get a little closer to getting that diploma before we sign anything just in case it takes him longer to graduate.

I've told you all before but I want to tell you again. This site and the Marines on it are the best. You helped me through adjusting to my older sons decision to become a Marine, the year wait for him to leave, and the very long week between the time that he called to tell us that he was coming home and the time that we picked him up from the airport. That was the longest week of my life.

I just wanted to warn you that I'm back and may need help again!! Honestly though, I couldn't be happier!!
    Mam, first of all I want to give you my congrats on being such a wonderful, and caring mom. Second I want to touch on a subject that you may not have thought about. I want to say this as carefully as possible, but the chance of your first son getting back from a medical sep from boot camp is a very hard journey, and his chances can be slim to non. Which brings me to my second point, if your second son joins, and makes it. This could cause alot of resentment in between your two sons. Your older son may develp jelous feelings, while your younger son could push negative attitude towards his older brother for not making it. I have seen it happen on a few occasions. I just want to make this aware to you Mam Semper Fi!!!

Thank you for the thoughts echo. I have thought of this and I have talked to my younger son about it. He understands and I think he will be considerate of his brother.

It turns out that the medical condition that my older son had wasn't a serious condition. I think the bigger problem was that he didn't realize how much he would miss us and had some emotional issues while there. His paperwork shows that he was discharged for fraudulent enlistment because when they asked if he had ever had the medical problem before he said he had. He insists that he never said that but was so ready to come home that he didn't care. He just wanted out. By the time he left, he was already regretting that choice.

Anyway, the paperwork says that he can try again after two years. I have tried to tell him that it won't be as easy the second time. I know that he will have to get a waiver for the medical condition. But, I think the harder part will be convincing the recruiter, or whoever he has to convince, that he is better prepared and won't have the same emotional issues that he had the first time. Of course he doesn't believe me and I don't want to push too hard right now since it will be a long wait and he hasn't even made a decision yet.

He has talked to his younger brother and has assured me that he feels confident that the younger one is making the decision for the right reasons. They have had a very rocky relationship in the past but I'm seeing a new, more adult relationship between them lately. I'm sure, if we end up at a graduation ceremony, the older son will have very mixed feelings and I am concerned about that. By that time he will be close enough to the end of the two year waiting period that it might just push him to try really hard to do whatever is necessary to get back in, or he may see that it's just not for him.

Do any of you know if a good asvab score will make it easier for him to get back in if that is what he chooses to do? He made a 94 without studying at all.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you for the thoughts echo. I have thought of this and I have talked to my younger son about it. He understands and I think he will be considerate of his brother.

It turns out that the medical condition that my older son had wasn't a serious condition. I think the bigger problem was that he didn't realize how much he would miss us and had some emotional issues while there. His paperwork shows that he was discharged for fraudulent enlistment because when they asked if he had ever had the medical problem before he said he had. He insists that he never said that but was so ready to come home that he didn't care. He just wanted out. By the time he left, he was already regretting that choice.

Anyway, the paperwork says that he can try again after two years. I have tried to tell him that it won't be as easy the second time. I know that he will have to get a waiver for the medical condition. But, I think the harder part will be convincing the recruiter, or whoever he has to convince, that he is better prepared and won't have the same emotional issues that he had the first time. Of course he doesn't believe me and I don't want to push too hard right now since it will be a long wait and he hasn't even made a decision yet.

He has talked to his younger brother and has assured me that he feels confident that the younger one is making the decision for the right reasons. They have had a very rocky relationship in the past but I'm seeing a new, more adult relationship between them lately. I'm sure, if we end up at a graduation ceremony, the older son will have very mixed feelings and I am concerned about that. By that time he will be close enough to the end of the two year waiting period that it might just push him to try really hard to do whatever is necessary to get back in, or he may see that it's just not for him.

Do any of you know if a good asvab score will make it easier for him to get back in if that is what he chooses to do? He made a 94 without studying at all.
    Well, a high ASVAB won't hurt. How much it will help, who knows? A 94 isn't shabby.

As you know boot camp is pretty tough on the mind of young kids. One has to have a pretty bloody-minded attitude going in that they will make it. Of course unavoidable injuries are a danger, but an honorable reason to be dropped. Homesickness isn't.

My father literally sent me off to boot camp with the quote that Spartan women said to their men on their way into battle: "Come back with your shield, or upon it." I came back with it and every time afterward. I sent my oldest daughter to Afghanistan with the same words. I expect her to do just that and she knows it.

Make sure your son(s) understand that is what you want from them too.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Nothing so fierce as a proud mom,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks again to all of you. I LOVE THIS SITE!! I've tried to get both of my boys to get on here but Mom doesn't know a thing!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks again to all of you. I LOVE THIS SITE!! I've tried to get both of my boys to get on here but Mom doesn't know a thing!!
    And you will not be wise until they hit 24. Funny how they will look at you then.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    And you will not be wise until they hit 24. Funny how they will look at you then.

The light bulb came on for me after about 30-seconds on the yellow footprints.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ain't nothin' meaner than a MARINE...'cept His MaMa GodBless You @ Your Son's

Credits
    Savings
    God Bless you and your boys.
    You are welcome anytime.

24??? I have to wait that long? It started happening at about 20 with my daughter but that's when she got married. Now with a baby she calls to ask my opinion on everything. It's wonderful!!

My older son did get a lot out of boot camp considering the short time he was there but I still ain't the sharpest tack in the box in his opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    24??? I have to wait that long? It started happening at about 20 with my daughter but that's when she got married. Now with a baby she calls to ask my opinion on everything. It's wonderful!!

My older son did get a lot out of boot camp considering the short time he was there but I still ain't the sharpest tack in the box in his opinion.

I got a phone call from my oldest daughter when she was about 22 (and had been married for a couple years - no kids). She wanted to thank me (and her mom) for raising her the way we did. It was all perfectly clear to her now and we obviously knew what we were doing even though she was our first child. I was floored.

Of course that was shortly after she got back from her Air Force tech school.

She's a great girl and even though she's just going on 26, I value her opinions on a great many issues, including some personal matters.

Wow, she sounds like a great kid. Even if I never hear those words from my kids, I know that I'll see a difference in them someday. I see it in my daughter and I will see it in my boys as well. It's weird how our relationship with them changes after they are on their own.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much mothers will make excuses for the failures of their sons. If "he" frauded-out, it will be a cold day in hell before he gets another chance. The Marine Corps doesn't make it a habit to spend ALL THE MONEY to get these young men to recruit training, have the recruit then decide that he misses his mommy, go home, and then try it all again a coupla' years later. That's summer camp, not boot camp

CHECK HIS RE CODE!!

A good ASVAB score isn't going to make one whit of difference. I'd be willing to bet a dollar that he won't even be considered for a "second chance." There are way too many young men who can make it on the first try. Maybe he can try the Army?

Thread Information