In Need of Help from Marines who care for future Marines
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

In Need of Help from Marines who care for future Marines

If any Marines can take some time to explain to me why three different recruiters are telling me 3 different stories on how my tattoo and my police record are holding me back from joining the Marine Corps; and that i can only go reserves if im able to get in? that would be greatly appreciated. of coarse i know that you might not be able to answer these all the way, because the docs arent in your possesion. But i just would like to know whats going on, because my recruiters obviously arent being truthful with me. i started talking with the Marines in March of 2009! and here i am, 3 recruiters later. i moved to Oceanside thinking i would have a better chance of getting in. i just dont know where to turn, my present recruiter just told me last friday to check out the ARMY, which just shattered all my respect for my 3rd recruiter. i dont want to quit trying to get in. its been almost a year though, i can only wait for so long, i put my whole life on hold for the Coprs, my job, my school, everything. if any Marines have some advice or even a reruiter to help me out, you dont know how much it would mean to me, thank you.

Thank You for reading also, i know its a bit long.

Brett Rosa

Try starting with posting the details, not really possible to give advise without that.

Credits
    Savings
    My tattoo is 3 inches below my left bicep, all the way around. my police record: i know if i was charged with the actions they stand no matter what the judge concludes, but i was CHARGED with two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and one felony count of concentrated marijuana posession, these are my only offenses and they were when i was a minor. two counts got dropped: the marijuana posession and one assault. Also in my court minutes, the one standing felony was dropped to a misd. the two other counts were dismissed due to lack of evidence. i know it doesnt look pretty, but my father who is an a Attorny says it shouldnt be this complicated, but i also know the Marine Corps doesnt mess around with this kind of stuff. i just need solid answers, not the run around anymore from my recruiters. Thank You for your time.

The tattoo isn't much of a issue, could be waived but with the pub that was just released regarding tattoos it's questionable.

The felonies are a different story, regardless if it was when you were a minor.

You will need very strong character references and a damn good story about what happened. IF you get in, you will more then likely not be able to get a job doing anything that requires a clearance.

Here is a little info for you

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...lcriminal7.htm

Credits
    Savings
    My interest is 0311, im pretty sure they require security clearences, but otherwise, i just dont understand why they dont take in consideration that my court minutes say that the two counts were dismissed due to lack of evidence, i would think that means to them, that i flat out didnt do it, but i guess not. Thank you for your time sergeant.

Quote Originally Posted by brosa114 View Post
    My interest is 0311, im pretty sure they require security clearences, but otherwise, i just dont understand why they dont take in consideration that my court minutes say that the two counts were dismissed due to lack of evidence, i would think that means to them, that i flat out didnt do it, but i guess not. Thank you for your time sergeant.
    Being charged and being convicted are two seperate things, that's what needs to be clearly stated. If you went to 3 recruiters then try going to a 4th, if that fails then go to another until they all tell you the same thing and why. Being arrested and charged for murder doesn't mean you are guilty unless proven so in a court of law, if found not guilty then you are not convicted which means you are correct, you didn't do it. It's possible that they looked at your laundry list of police records and court papers and were over whelmed, it's not something you see the average kid walk in with but there are a lot that do carry bagage

Also, Grunts don't require clearances so you'd be set for that one.

Credits
    Savings
    Will do, much appreciated sgt. take care.

And don't knock the recruiter for telling you to go Army. The Army has more experience dealing with those who have criminal convictions because their rules are a little more lax than the Marines.

You may not be able to become a Marine but you still have an option to serve your country.

Credits
    Savings
    19yo and 'two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and one felony count of concentrated marijuana posession' if I count correctly. I think there may be 2 more in there somewhere. All of that and a big tattoo.

... and you say you have put your life on hold for the 'Coprs'. Well how special.

I suppose you think that the wheels of 235 years are going to come to a screeching halt for you. Not!!

Jeez, are you at least a HS graduate?

Methinks you should memorize these words, 'Would you like fries with that order?'.

In case you didn't click on the link Vandrel provided for you to read, here it is..........

United States Navy and Marine Corps
    Criminal History Disqualifications
    Felony Offenses

Regardless of state or local law, for enlistment purposes, the following offenses fall into the Category of Felony Offenses:
    • Aggravated assault; with dangerous weapon; assault intentionally inflicting great bodily harm; assault with intent to commit felony.
    • Assault and battery on law enforcement officer or child under 16 years of age.
    • Arson.
    • Attempt to commit felony.
    • Breaking and entering (all types).
    • Bribery.
    • Bigamy.
    • Burglary.
    • Carnal knowledge of child under 16.
    • Check, worthless, making or uttering, with intent to defraud or deceive ($501 or more)
    • Conspiring to commit felony.
    • Criminal libel.
    • Draft evasion.
    • Extortion.
    • Forgery; knowingly uttering or passing forged instrument (except for altered identification for purchase of alcoholic beverages).
    • Grand larceny; embezzlement (value $501 or more).
    • Housebreaking.
    • Illegal drugs (See special rules for drug offenses).
    • Impersonating a police officer, civil official, military officer.
    • Indecent acts or liberties with child under 16, molestation.
    • Indecent assault.
    • Kidnapping, abduction.
    • Leaving scene of accident (hit and run) involving personal injury and/or property damage is over $500.
    • Mail matter: abstracting, destroying, obstructing, opening, secreting, stealing, or taking.
    • Mail, depositing obscene or indecent matter.
    • Maiming; disfiguring.
    • Manslaughter.
    • Murder.
    • Obstructing justice.
    • Pandering.
    • Perjury.
    • Public record; altering, concealing, destroying, mutilating, obliterating, or removing.
    • Rape.
    • Riot
    • Robbery
    • Sedition; soliciting to commit sedition.
    • Sodomy.
    • Stolen property, knowingly receiving (value over $500).
    • Theft, shoplifting (value over $500).
    NOTE: Consider offenses of comparable seriousness as a felony. In doubtful cases, apply the following rule:
    If maximum confinement under state or local law exceeds 1-year, treat the offense as a felony.
    A "felony" will be defined as a conviction or adverse adjudication by civil authorities (foreign or domestic), or action taken which is tantamount to a finding of guilty of an offense for which the maximum penalty is death or confinement under state or local law exceeding one year, regardless of state or local laws.

An offense will be classified a "felony" without regard to the offender's age when the offense was committed, or whether the offense was disposed of by juvenile or adult criminal proceedings. An offense classified as a felony above, will be classified as a felony for enlistment, regardless of state or local law.

In rare instances an offense may be classified as a single incident felony if more than one felony results from a single incident. Generally, if the multiple incidents are not separated by space and time, they may be considered as a single incident for waiver purposes. In order to be considered, the multiple felonies must be related and must derive from a single incident. For example, a housebreaker who steals a stereo might be considered a single incident felony for 1) felony burglary and 2) felony theft.

A single felony requires a waiver. More than one felonies are disqualifying, and no waiver is authorized.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...lcriminal7.htm

Criminal History Waivers
    Some offenses can be waived, and others cannot. Different offenses require waiver approval at different levels in the recruiting chain-of-command.
    It's important to note that applicants who require a waiver ARE NOT qualified for enlistment, unless/until a waiver is approved. The burden is on the applicant to prove to waiver authorities that they have overcome their disqualifications for enlistment, and that their acceptance would be in the best interests of the Military. Waiver authorities will consider the "whole person" concept when considering waiver applications.

In general, waivers are required for:
    Individuals with ten or more minor traffic offenses, six or more serious traffic offenses, ten or more Class 2 minor non-traffic offenses, six or more serious non-traffic offenses, or more than one felony are not eligible for a waiver.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...minal.-um-.htm

Special Requirements for Substance Abuse:
    No drug-related waiver will be considered without a signed, complete copy of the Drug Abuse Screening Form.

Waivers will not be granted to non-prior service applicants who:

• a. Have a history of drug or alcohol dependency or addiction; or
      b. Have a court conviction for any drug offense (except simple possession of cannabis [30 grams or less], and steroids); or
      c. Admit to trafficking marijuana or other illegal drugs.
      (Note: "Trafficking" in drugs will be considered the unlicensed sale or trade of drugs for profit.) d. Applicants who have been disqualified for testing positive on the DAT at MEPS.
    Prior Service applicants who have received a court-martial, Nonjudicial Punishment (NJP), or discharge as a result of drug use or drug related offense (to include positive urinalysis) are not eligible for enlistment/ reenlistment. No waiver is authorized. Applicants who have received an Entry Level Separation as a result of drug use or drug related offense (to include positive urinalysis) require a mandatory 2 year wait. No waiver is authorized.

Convictions for possession of drug paraphernalia will be treated, for the purpose of an enlistment waiver, as if they were convictions for possession of the actual drug associated with the particular piece of paraphernalia.

The commanding officer of the recruiting station may waive the illegal use of prescription drugs prior to enlistment in the DEP when an applicant has been administered a prescription drug for medical purposes by a parent or person acting in the capacity of "loco parentis" when that drug has not been prescribed for the applicant. Examples include, but are not limited to, Valium and Tylenol III. All other illegal use of prescription drugs requires a waiver from the district commander.
    Each decision authority (e.g., the recruiter; NCOIC; the CO recruiting station; the CO, recruiting district; or the CG, recruiting region) may deem the extent of an applicant's pre-service drug involvement to be excessive and opt not to favorably endorse the applicant's waiver request thereby terminating processing.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...nal.-um-_3.htm

Tattoo (Body Art) Policy

Mar 24 2007

The Marine Corps is getting more strict about tatoos according to Marine administrative message 198/07.

“This clarification came about because there was room for interpretation of the old policy,” said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant of the Marine Corps. “The commandant had this issue come up at every town hall meeting that he attended and wanted to make the policy fair across the board, squashing any margin for error.”

The message details new guidelines for Marines with tattoos, specifically, restricting them from getting sleeve tattoos while protecting those who already have them.

Effective April 1, Marines are prohibited from getting sleeve tattoos. Those individuals who have sleeve tattoos are required to be documented by their command by July 1.

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing a standard physical training T-shirt and shorts are likewise prohibited.
    Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos need to have them photographed by their command and have them documented in their service record books to be grandfathered into this policy.

Current Tattoo Policy
    The Marine Corps takes a conservative approach to personal appearance. Uniform regulations stress that personal appearance is to be conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities in dress or appearance are permitted because they detract from uniformity and team identity.

Marines are prohibited from:

• a. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck.

• b. Sleeve Tatoos. A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person's entire arm or leg.

• c. Half-sleeve or quarter sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard PT Gear (T-shirt and shorts). A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo or collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an army or leg above or below the elbow or knee.
    • d. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-american, anti-social, gang related, or extremest group or organization related.
    Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) prior to 1 April 2007, will be grandfathered. The Marine's command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective (tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine's SRB. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

Credits
    Savings
    duely noted, thank you marines.

Quote Originally Posted by brosa114
    duely noted, thank you marines.
    [Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...=29048&page=15

Thread Information