Can I wear my Blues?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I wear my Blues?

So I have been out for 3 years, got out with an Honorable Discharge. My wife is graduating from her Police Acadamy she will get presented her diploma (whatever its called) by the Lt at the acadamy unless she has some one who is or was a cop or in the service. She has chosen me, so can I wear my Blues and if I can will I still be able to wear my French Fortege because when I seperated I was in %th Marines.

i dont think you can. but dont quote me on it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    11002. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTIVES PERTAINING TO UNIFORMS
    1. Implementing 10 U.S.C. 772, the President, by Executive Order 10554 of 18 August 1954, delegated to the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe regulations under which persons may wear the uniform. The following excerpts from DoD Directive 1334.1 of 11 August 1969 outline these regulations:
    "a. Members of the Armed Forces (including retired members and members of reserve components). The wearing of the uniform is prohibited under any of the following circumstances:
    (1) At any meeting or demonstration which is a function of, or sponsored by an organization, association, movement, group, or combination of persons which the Attorney Generalof the United States has designated, pursuant to E.O. 10450, as amended as totalitarian, fascist, communist, or subversive, or as having adopted a policy of advocating or approving the commission of acts of force or violence to deny others their rights under The Constitution of the United States, or as seeking to alter the form of Government of the United States by unconstitutional means.
    (2) During or in connection with the furtherance of political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn.
    (3) Except when authorized by competent Service authority, when participating in activities such as public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration (including those pertaining to civil rights), which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted.
    (4) When wearing of the uniform would tend to bring discredit upon the Armed Forces.
    (5) When specifically prohibited by regulations of the department concerned.

Ok that was a little confusing, but it doesn't sound like I wouldn t be allowed. It is not a political activitiy, private employment, or anything like that, and as long as I shave my beard and get a reg haircut (which I already planned to do) I should be good.

Now for the French Fortege I guess I need to dig deeper.

that sucks. should have bought a bigger one before i got out.

Are you still in the IRR? Did you serve during the time of war over 180 days? Did you get out with an HONORABLE Discharge? If you can answer yes to one of those than I believe you can. Just make sure you have the proper haircut and the Blues are within specs. I seriously doubt anyone will question you.

Yup time of war and an hnorable discharge.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As soon as you check out of 5th or 6th Marines you no longer rate to wear the fourregerre. I think it looks a little weird on blues anyway.

Your blues must also properly fit for you to wear them to this function. There was mention somewhere about an honorable discharge pin you are supposed to wear but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher2510 View Post
    So I have been out for 3 years, got out with an Honorable Discharge. My wife is graduating from her Police Acadamy she will get presented her diploma (whatever its called) by the Lt at the acadamy unless she has some one who is or was a cop or in the service. She has chosen me, so can I wear my Blues and if I can will I still be able to wear my French Fortege because when I seperated I was in %th Marines.
    I was always told if you had an honorable discharge you could wear your uniform, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    1. Implementing 10 U.S.C. 772, the President, by Executive Order 10554 of 18 August 1954, delegated to the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe regulations under which persons may wear the uniform. The following excerpts from DoD Directive 1334.1 of 11 August 1969 outline these regulations:
    "a. Members of the Armed Forces (including retired members and members of reserve components). The wearing of the uniform is prohibited under any of the following circumstances:
    (1) At any meeting or demonstration which is a function of, or sponsored by an organization, association, movement, group, or combination of persons which the Attorney Generalof the United States has designated, pursuant to E.O. 10450, as amended as totalitarian, fascist, communist, or subversive, or as having adopted a policy of advocating or approving the commission of acts of force or violence to deny others their rights under The Constitution of the United States, or as seeking to alter the form of Government of the United States by unconstitutional means.
    (2) During or in connection with the furtherance of political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn.
    (3) Except when authorized by competent Service authority, when participating in activities such as public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration (including those pertaining to civil rights), which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted.
    (4) When wearing of the uniform would tend to bring discredit upon the Armed Forces.
    Looks like everybody breaks the rules, I guess if I want to wear mine I will.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think all of you answered the question and I'm glad I didn't know myself but I wish I could still fit in mine.
    What always has pizzed me off is seeing someone who has never been in the Corps wear a blues blouse or a green blouse or even a field jacket. It jacks me up every-time and if I'm around that person I will say something. I was someone on TV the other night wearing a blues blouse.
    Semper Fi Redman

b. Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
    (1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    (2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part.
    'Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.'
    c. Medal of Honor Holders. Persons who have been awarded the Medal of Honor may wear the uniform at their pleasure except under the circumstances set forth in Subsection a., above."
    2. Pursuant to DoD Instruction 5410.20, unauthorized use of approved Marine Corps uniform emblems or insignia on civilian attire, or other nonuniform attire, is prohibited.
    3. The President, by Executive Order 10113 of 24 February 1950, delegated to the Secretary of Defense the authority to prescribe the quantity and kind of clothing which shall be furnished to enlisted Marines, or the cash allowance to be provided in lieu thereof. Department of Defense Directive 1338.18 of 29 Jul 85 outlines the policies and regulations pertaining thereto.

Section 14/Paragraph 9 subsection BULLCHIT

You know what, I AINT, I SAY AGAIN, I AINT on active duty anymore. I've already been told a number of times, including when I was on active duty back in 66, that I couldn't wear my VIET NAM Jump wings because they "aren't authorized" even though I have a certificate which was presented to me by the Viet Namese govt when I was over there in '65. I'm in the process of adding that decoration, along with other discrepencies on my DD 214, via a DD 215 only because I kept a copy of my ORIGINAL ORDERS along with that certificate to back up what I say. Without that proof I may as well **** in the wind. Anyway, I'll be up front with all of you, until and unless you've earned those wings don't be telling me under what friggin order I can or can't wear my wings be they Gold, Silver or my Viet Namese Jump wings. Woe be me to tell another Marine what he can or can't wear if they're part of his/her military record. I've already had someone on this sight tell me that I can only wear the Gold Wings on my uniform and therefore the Silver Wings shouldn't be included on my signature/avatar/whatever. I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF WHAT I INCLUDE WITH MY MILITARY SIGNATURE. If it ain't pleasing to you, don't look! If I'm doing something wrong let the person who's in charge of this site let me know. I have a display case in my den with my military awards. There's three jump wings in that case. And once I can find a graphic of my Viet Nam Jump wings I will add that to my signature also. Now I also have a patch for the 5th MARDIV which also isn't worn on our uniforms. I could also include the 1st and 3rd MAR DIV patches as I served with them also. Who gives a chit? It's my call, I'm a civilian now. I didn't get these awards out of a Wheaties box, I friggin earned em. So with all due respect to all of you as Marines, I don't take kindly to any leg telling me what to do with my jump wings be they GOLD, SILVER/ or VIET NAMESE. And as a civilian I could give a rag what rank you are, the number of stripes/rockers or the particular shape of the metal on your collar or hash marks on your sleeve. Some things NEVER CHANGE. A LEG'S EXACTLY AND PRECISELY THAT; A LEG. SF AIRBORNE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
    b. Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
    (1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    (2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part.
    'Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.
    I've seen quite a few vets wearing their dress uniforms in unofficial ceremonies at schools and other events, most were inconjunction with a veterans holiday deal but none included a parade or any active/reserve military unit.

While the order does make it clear, I doubt it'd be a issue if you wore it given the circumstances of the ceremony. It's not like you are tossing it on to go to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteropr View Post
    You know what, I AINT, I SAY AGAIN, I AINT on active duty anymore. I've already been told a number of times, including when I was on active duty back in 66, that I couldn't wear my VIET NAM Jump wings because they "aren't authorized" even though I have a certificate which was presented to me by the Viet Namese govt when I was over there in '65. I'm in the process of adding that decoration, along with other discrepencies on my DD 214, via a DD 215 only because I kept a copy of my ORIGINAL ORDERS along with that certificate to back up what I say. Without that proof I may as well **** in the wind. Anyway, I'll be up front with all of you, until and unless you've earned those wings don't be telling me under what friggin order I can or can't wear my wings be they Gold, Silver or my Viet Namese Jump wings. Woe be me to tell another Marine what he can or can't wear if they're part of his/her military record. I've already had someone on this sight tell me that I can only wear the Gold Wings on my uniform and therefore the Silver Wings shouldn't be included on my signature/avatar/whatever. I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF WHAT I INCLUDE WITH MY MILITARY SIGNATURE. If it ain't pleasing to you, don't look! If I'm doing something wrong let the person who's in charge of this site let me know. I have a display case in my den with my military awards. There's three jump wings in that case. And once I can find a graphic of my Viet Nam Jump wings I will add that to my signature also. Now I also have a patch for the 5th MARDIV which also isn't worn on our uniforms. I could also include the 1st and 3rd MAR DIV patches as I served with them also. Who gives a chit? It's my call, I'm a civilian now. I didn't get these awards out of a Wheaties box, I friggin earned em. So with all due respect to all of you as Marines, I don't take kindly to any leg telling me what to do with my jump wings be they GOLD, SILVER/ or VIET NAMESE. And as a civilian I could give a rag what rank you are, the number of stripes/rockers or the particular shape of the metal on your collar or hash marks on your sleeve. Some things NEVER CHANGE. A LEG'S EXACTLY AND PRECISELY THAT; A LEG. SF AIRBORNE!!!
    No one was accusing you of anything brother, just offering some friendly advice brother. Semper Fi!!

Thread Information