Seen "Hurt Locker"??
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Seen "Hurt Locker"??

Good evening everyone! I just finished watching this movie, for the second time. Don't know how accurate the details were, but......getting up at 0-dark-thirty and playing war for the day, then going back to FRESH water showers with HOT water and soap, tip back a fifth of JACK, and sleeping on a cot....with A/C.....
    Really NOT sure what to make of it all. What do YOU think?????.......

Have not seen it, saw a preview on TV the other day. From your description it sounds like a craptastic failure.

Although it seems to be based on a Army EOD squad. Anything seems to be possible with the Army these days. Yeah, it's possible to "obtain" alcohol over there, but it's something that the average joe doesn't have access to... got to have a buddy in HET or trust a local to buy it for you.

The A/C and fresh water thing is kinda, eh, in some places of Iraq very true. Large camps over there are freaking rediculous. Lucky for me I got the short end of the stick for 7 months in 2008 and got none of that while living out in town inside the stupid city the entire deployment.... yay... not.

They should make more movies about the 2003 invasion, that's where the stories are. Nothing can compare to a man's reeking 4 month unwashed nuts sitting inside of a NBC MOPP suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Have not seen it, saw a preview on TV the other day. From your description it sounds like a craptastic failure.

Although it seems to be based on a Army EOD squad. Anything seems to be possible with the Army these days. Yeah, it's possible to "obtain" alcohol over there, but it's something that the average joe doesn't have access to... got to have a buddy in HET or trust a local to buy it for you.

The A/C and fresh water thing is kinda, eh, in some places of Iraq very true. Large camps over there are freaking rediculous. Lucky for me I got the short end of the stick for 7 months in 2008 and got none of that while living out in town inside the stupid city the entire deployment.... yay... not.

They should make more movies about the 2003 invasion, that's where the stories are. Nothing can compare to a man's reeking 4 month unwashed nuts sitting inside of a NBC MOPP suit.
    Well if you've seen Generation Kill, it's kind of like that.

I just watched that movie, too. I didn't think it was all that bad, but then again I haven't been deployed yet so I don't see everything that you all do. One thing I thought was weird, is that they were calling the Sgt 1st Class by his first/last name, while he was calling the others by their ranks, yet he was higher then them, go figure.

Doc, this isn't Vietnam...

All major US bases in Iraq have showers, chowhalls, AC and electricity. The chow halls are stocked with every major soda, snack, ice cream, pizza and pastry. There are specially made trailers for Burger King, Pizza hut, Taco bell and KFC. All the luxuries of home.

Currently here at my base...squads will go out on patrol for no more than a couple of hours and are back for a day or two off while the other platoons patrol.

The only place where it can be "Hard Living" are some of the FoBs in Afghanistan. Some of the smaller FoBs can only be reached by Helo, so they still have burn-****ters, **** tubes and wood fire heated gravity showers. But do to their remote locations, alot of those are being evacuated (Google "FOB Keating")

As for Hurt Locker...it hurts my soul that the movie is everyones 2009 best movie pick! I work with EOD and they say it has the same credibility as Top Gun did for fighter pilots!

Top Gun isn't realistic? Say it isn't so!

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    Well if you've seen Generation Kill, it's kind of like that.
    Watched a segment of Generation Kill from netflix, needless to say I changed DVD.

Hurt locker is on the list on netflix, I hope its not near as crappy as GK.

I don't know why everyone hates on Generation Kill...I thought it was a damn good show.

I watched Hurt Locker last night. I think it is a pretty good movie as long as you don't let being in the military influence your opinion too much. Some of the details and actions seemed within the realm of possibility (especially for the Army), but highly unlikely. Are there really EOD teams rolling around, doing their own thing, in three-man teams?

These guys were on Victory so they have just as much, if not more, luxury than anyone else.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Them there MOPP Suits get a little uncomphy Do they Vandrel how much weight did You loose? Chit Marine after all that time Your Lucky your nut's didn't Rot off or Youd be in a Real Hurt locker Marine.Thanks 4 Your Service and Welcome Home Marine S/F

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Them there MOPP Suits get a little uncomphy

Ah **** man, those things were awful. Not only was it balls hot outside in mid-day but it was topped off by sitting inside a Amtrack driving around with all that crap on all the way to Baghdad with a silly ass gasmask floppying around on your hip.

I have seen it or heard of it.

First of all god doc change you avatar Christmas is over LMOL.. anyway where can you find this movie at ? can you rent it from a DVD store or just on line only. Thanks and Doc just chitting you Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by marine1955 View Post
    First of all god doc change you avatar Christmas is over
    hahaha I was gonna ask why he had no shirt on but I figured I'd leave that one alone

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I told you so!!! BEST PICTURE, and BEST DIRECTOR!!!! Won a total of 6 OSCARS!!
    I started this thread in January, and I felt that it was a film to remember. I now think that "The Pacific", will win MANY awards next year....EMMY'S!!
    MAYBE....Tom Hanks will do a tribute series, or film about Viet Nam....we'll see.
    SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek....

I saw it the weekend it came out, in the aisle in front of me there was a father (retired) and son both Navy EOD. Both said a lot of it seemed improbable or out and out ridiculous and I have to agree with my very, very limited knowledge of EOD in Iraq. BUT we also said it was a fantastic and entertaining movie. I don't know if it was Best Picture worthy, but it's a weak crop this year.

Thread Information