Vietnam Era Female DI's
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Vietnam Era Female DI's

Retired Squid, O-5 requesting info on Viet era female DI'S. Did they exist? Have run across a woman who said she was a DI in the 60's. Hoping this isn't a ploy for Stolen Valor and she did truly "pack the gear"

CMDR. Dan O'Shea USN (Ret)

Hope this info helps some......

Fourth Recruit Training Battalion
    The Forth Recruit Training Battalion is led by Lieutenant Colonel Karla M. Jessup and Sergeant Major Laura L. Brown (I believe these 2 names have since changed). Within Fourth Battalion, there are three companies: Co. N, Co. O,and Co. P. Each company contains an average of two, 50- to 60-recruit platoons. Fourth Battalion trains only female recruits.

Female Marines have trained aboard Parris Island since February 23, 1949 when 3rd RTBn. was activated aboard the Parris Island with Company K and Company L in what is now Headquarters, 6 th Marine Corps District. On 1 May 1954, 3 rd Recruit Training Battalion was re-designated as Woman Recruit Training Battalion and remained under this designation until 1976 when it was re-designated as Woman Recruit Training Command. At that time, Woman Recruit Training Command moved to a new battalion complex which it still occupies.

On 1 November 1986, Woman Recruit Training Command was re-designated as 4th RTBn. and became part of the Recruit Training Regiment. During January 1989, K and L Companies were re-designated as N and O Companies respectively due to reorganization of the regiment. In October 1996, P Company was activated in order to more effectively train the larger number of female recruits arriving on Parris Island. The 4th RTBn. complex was expanded in November 2001 with the addition of a new barracks.

Recruit training is now identical for both male and female recruits, but this is a result of many significant changes over the last 25 years. Some of the key changes were:

1978-First females graduate from Drill Instructor School.

1985-Females began firing the M16A2 for qualification, which added an additional three weeks to the female schedule.

1988-Basic Warrior Training/Marine Combat Training was incorporated into recruit training for females, adding another two weeks to the schedule.

1996-Female drill instructors were allowed to wear the Campaign Cover, replacing the scarlet cord.

1997-Marine Combat Training was removed from the female recruit training schedule with the introduction of the Crucible, resulting in the current 12-week schedule for both male and female recruits. Females Marines subsequently began attending Marine Combat Training at the School of Infantry (East) prior to follow-on military occupational specialty (MOS) training. Female Marines throughout the Marine Corps also started conducting the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) that mirrors the male PFT, adding additional physical training into the schedule.

Roughly 2,400 female recruits come through 4th RTBn. each year, trained by the very women who have seen and been part of the transformation that has brought us to where we are today.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/units/rtr...thbn/index.asp

Credits
    Savings
    as surely as god made Little Green Apples them WM's had female Drill Instructors when i was going through boot < 1963 >

Credits
    Savings
    Outstanding piece of work. But given your premise that the first female DI's graduated in 1978, the person I encountered is a phony? Would that be your conclusion?. Simply put, she states she was a female DI during the 60's. Not all that important I guess. I feel sorry for her if it's a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Hope this info helps some......

Fourth Recruit Training Battalion
    The Forth Recruit Training Battalion is led by Lieutenant Colonel Karla M. Jessup and Sergeant Major Laura L. Brown (I believe these 2 names have since changed). Within Fourth Battalion, there are three companies: Co. N, Co. O,and Co. P. Each company contains an average of two, 50- to 60-recruit platoons. Fourth Battalion trains only female recruits.

Female Marines have trained aboard Parris Island since February 23, 1949 when 3rd RTBn. was activated aboard the Parris Island with Company K and Company L in what is now Headquarters, 6 th Marine Corps District. On 1 May 1954, 3 rd Recruit Training Battalion was re-designated as Woman Recruit Training Battalion and remained under this designation until 1976 when it was re-designated as Woman Recruit Training Command. At that time, Woman Recruit Training Command moved to a new battalion complex which it still occupies.

On 1 November 1986, Woman Recruit Training Command was re-designated as 4th RTBn. and became part of the Recruit Training Regiment. During January 1989, K and L Companies were re-designated as N and O Companies respectively due to reorganization of the regiment. In October 1996, P Company was activated in order to more effectively train the larger number of female recruits arriving on Parris Island. The 4th RTBn. complex was expanded in November 2001 with the addition of a new barracks.

Recruit training is now identical for both male and female recruits, but this is a result of many significant changes over the last 25 years. Some of the key changes were:

1978-First females graduate from Drill Instructor School.

1985-Females began firing the M16A2 for qualification, which added an additional three weeks to the female schedule.

1988-Basic Warrior Training/Marine Combat Training was incorporated into recruit training for females, adding another two weeks to the schedule.

1996-Female drill instructors were allowed to wear the Campaign Cover, replacing the scarlet cord.

1997-Marine Combat Training was removed from the female recruit training schedule with the introduction of the Crucible, resulting in the current 12-week schedule for both male and female recruits. Females Marines subsequently began attending Marine Combat Training at the School of Infantry (East) prior to follow-on military occupational specialty (MOS) training. Female Marines throughout the Marine Corps also started conducting the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) that mirrors the male PFT, adding additional physical training into the schedule.

Roughly 2,400 female recruits come through 4th RTBn. each year, trained by the very women who have seen and been part of the transformation that has brought us to where we are today.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/units/rtr...thbn/index.asp

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Don't know her story...however she may saying drill instructor and was a troop handler for the WM's.

In lieu of male drill instructors in barracks for hygiene and H&C.

Credits
    Savings
    I doubt that's the situation. Her story, she was interviewed for a local academic publication in 2008, was that she was a Marine DI during the Vietnam era. What brought it to my attention was that the person who interviewed her wanted to submit his story for publication, she refused to sign the release consent. That was a red flag for me. As I said I won't pursue this any further. I wanted to know if Viet era female DI's existed and you answered this most eloquently. Thank you for your time and trouble

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Don't know her story...however she may saying drill instructor and was a troop handler for the WM's.

In lieu of male drill instructors in barracks for hygiene and H&C.

I read a lot about the history of women Marines. Yes, there were female DI's in the '60s.

They were not allowed to attend DI school, rather they were expected to learn on the job. In the late '60s and early '70s, they were given the option of attending DI school (was not mandatory), but in the mid 70's, the CO changed his mind and forbid female DI's from attending the formal school. It was an issue of masculinity during a time when the Corps wanted women to appear as feminine as possible. In the late 70's, women were accepted back into DI school and it became mandatory.

During the '60s, the Senior Drill Instructor was male, but the assistant DI's were female.

So, to answer your question, YES, she could have very well been a female Drill Instructor in the '60s.

YES THEY HAD FEMALE D I'S IN THE 60'S . I WAS STATIONED AT P.I IN 66-67 SO YES THEY DID. OH BY THE WAY I WENT THROUGH 3rd BN Q, CO. PLT.380 SEPT- DEC 63 AND I'M FAR FROM BEING A FEMALE.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for your reply. I am relieved to hear that female DI's did exist. I will now put the matter to rest and please excuse the ignorance of this retired old squid.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Iguess it takes areal marine to give the young women praise and respect for serving our country in any branch of the service,iwould have loved to had served and fought side byside with them .but idid not. not sure they would of enjoy my trip on my gung ho tour in the nasty/69/70 flsg bravo. foward . i just love women iam proud of all that serve, beside that they are great moms, dont tread on me. Eaton 3/4

Thread Information