Marine Parents, how did you react when your child told you he wanted to be a Marine? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As a parent my advice to you is to present your plan in a mature way...don't get frustrated with them or mad if their reaction is negative. After you tell them, give them some space so they can think about your decision...keep the lines of communication open, even if they don't agree with you. If your heart is in it and they wont sign the consent, you can always wait until your 18 and then join.

My oldest son, who is 15 now, has always said he was joining the Marines, since he could talk. Since he will graduate HS at 17yrs old he needs a parent consent. Every few months he will bring it up and make sure I will still sign the waiver, lol, and I will. It's something he has always said he wanted do, and I will be shocked if he changes his mind. Some days when he gets on my last nerve, I wish I could sign the consent earlier!

Folks, always remember that it is a privilege to serve in our Corps. I have a nephew, who from the time he could speak, that said "I wanna be a "Barine" just like you uncle "Nanul". He's had juvenile onset diabetes since the age of five. Although he's 32 years old now, 280lbs, a competitive body builder, and the picture of health, he still so much wants to have served, but can't. Think about having a child that wants to do something so badly and you don't support them......and then think again that you are blessed with a healthy child that is willing and wanting to serve our great nation.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My first thought was The Marine Corps??? Of all of the branches available he had to go this route. Maternal Grandfather was Army, Paternal Grandfather Navy. I am still the nervous parent but support him 110%. Once I saw him at graduation from Parris Island I was truly in awe of what he has become, he now carries himself with pride and purpose and it was the Corps that was responsible for this change. He is currently at BRC starting his 3rd week and though it has been tough he has continued to give it his all.
    I am one proud Mama.

BRC is a MONSTER. Your son being there and making it to week three says a lot for his character, believe me. It's inconceivable for most people to realize how badly one must want something to complete this training.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks a lot. He seems happy to have made it, I think mostly he's happy he is no longer in MART/RIP that was the most difficult training he's been in thus far.

Credits
    Savings

Surprised? No

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    It has to be in your heart to be one of us, people don't understand unless they have Earned OUR beloved title, Good Luck.
    At age 7, my son politely informed everyone at our Thanksgiving dinner table that when he grew up, "he wanted to be a Sniper," and being a smart lad and seeing the horrified looks on all of our faces, he quickly added, "but not because I want to hurt anybody - but because I want to SERVE MY COUNTRY!"

So, was I surprised 13 years later when he informed me that he would be enlisting soon; proudly - No. He's now a Lance Corporal in Japan and into his 2nd year as a Marine.

"when you stand with me, you never stand alone" from The Warrior Song

gofigyer (1 Marine-2008); (1 Army-2010); (1 proud mother)

I came home after signing the contract without my parents' knowledge. When I told my Dad, he started to cry and said "Oh, Jesus Christ, NO Dave...NO!" I left 17 days later for boot camp. He told me years later he expected me back in 2 weeks. He started ending his phone calls with "Keep me proud". I stayed for almost 21 years.

My own daughter came to me wanting to join the Army. She had a friend that joined. I asked why she didn't want to join the Marines. She said that as long as she could remember, I had always said don't join the Army or Marines. The Navy and Air Force had better schools/opportunities that could lead to jobs on the outside after her hitch. I did the right thing, and asked her to see the Marine Recruiter. She signed the contract that day and has been in for a little over 5 years now. She's a helicopter mechanic by MOS, but has been on Marine Security Guard Duty for the past 3 years. She's getting out in a few months...too many years away from family. Over 4 of her 5 years in were spent overseas with 5 Christmases, Thanksgivings, etc spent away from home.

It's a good life...but tough sometimes. I wouldn't trade my time in for any reason. it was the best thing I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by gofigyer View Post
    At age 7, my son politely informed everyone at our Thanksgiving dinner table that when he grew up, "he wanted to be a Sniper," and being a smart lad and seeing the horrified looks on all of our faces, he quickly added, "but not because I want to hurt anybody - but because I want to SERVE MY COUNTRY!"

So, was I surprised 13 years later when he informed me that he would be enlisting soon; proudly - No. He's now a Lance Corporal in Japan and into his 2nd year as a Marine.

"when you stand with me, you never stand alone" from The Warrior Song

gofigyer (1 Marine-2008); (1 Army-2010); (1 proud mother)
    Is he a Sniper?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I am not a parent, but when I told my Father I wanted to join the Marines and I had already gone down to the recruiting station the first thing he said was "well...you never did listen to what I told you to do did you? Did I not say "Don't join the marines, join the air force!" which I respectfully replied "Nope! You highly suggested that I shouldn't" My Father is was a Marine, saw some pretty crazy stuff, and felt he had seen it so I wouldn't have to. So the next question he asked was "If I won the lottery would you still do it?" my reply made him(in my eyes) proud "Of course I would, because I know if I do, it will be something that I will forever look back on and be proud of my decision." So just make sure YOU know why you want to join, so you can ease their worries knowing that it is in your heart.

Thread Information