Combat Action Ribbon for IDF?
Create Post

Combat Action Ribbon for IDF?

I was curious if anyone knows if the CAR is awarded for being subjected to IDF (Indirect Fire). I was talking with a Marine Captain I work with and I was curious because we get hit about once every couple of weeks.

The requirements state, "the individual must have rendered satisfactory performance under enemy fire while actively participating in a ground or surface engagement."

Yet I read how members of the USS Kearsarge received a CAR for a Rocket attack in 2005 in Yemen.

It is at unit discretion. When I was a PFC right before I left for Iraq I heard rumors that if you FOB got IDF, everyone got a CAR. We were hit with IDF and direct fire all the time, never happen.

I was also on the Kearsarge (2007, not for the 2005 incident you mention) and seeing all those squids walking around with CAR's was upsetting. Only Navy got the CAR because the MEU decided that incident didn't rate one for the Marines.

I got mine the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the update. I'm a contractor now so I don't rate anything but a paycheck, lol.

I was on the Kearsarge in 1997...that girl sure gets around! lol.

Thread Information