Outdoors Zephyr
Create Post
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoors Zephyr

Outdoors Zephyr

A place to talk shop on all things relating to the outdoors.

I'll start if off, what do you guys prefer for a good outdoor gear. For knives I prefer my Ka-bar, but I also like Buck, and Winchester Knives. For camping gear, I don't really have a prefered brand. Its always been trial and error on what works the best for the area I'm at. Boots, its Redwings all the way. Rifles, I usually carry a Remington bolt action .22LR. There really isn't a threat of large game here in upstate Il. Anyways post your gear, trips, pics, etc.

I hike and camp a lot, I will post up some pics on my next trip.

Happy New Year Marines!

After a few years out in the weeds i realized that my objective most always comes down to gaining high ground and glassing topography and critters. For active outdoor wear that repels country i've been paying for Filson and Orvis as opposed to being soaked and miserable in Walmart and Target. I'm trying very hard to justify a pair of Leica 8-12x42 duovid 8 binoculars. My Lumix waterproof camera has a Leica folding lens that is quite impressive but was less than 1/5th the cost

--->Dave

*Danner's are the second best boot brand made in Oregon.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't backpack anymore due to arthritis, but I still camp with Boy and Venturing Scouts.

I prefer my Glock combat knife for a fixed blade. The blade holds an edge very well and it has a sawback perfect for cutting improvised tent poles. With a polycarb handle and sheath, it is a nice lightweight knife. I carried mine on my trouser belt all through Desert Storm.

I carry my 20+-year old Spyderco lock-blade folder and a Leatherman tool.

As far as boots: Danner only.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    After a few years out in the weeds i realized that my objective most always comes down to gaining high ground and glassing topography and critters. For active outdoor wear that repels country i've been paying for Filson and Orvis as opposed to being soaked and miserable in Walmart and Target. I'm trying very hard to justify a pair of Leica 8-12x42 duovid 8 binoculars. My Lumix waterproof camera has a Leica folding lens that is quite impressive but was less than 1/5th the cost

--->Dave

*Danner's are the second best boot brand made in Oregon.
    I think you should treat yourself to those Binoculars Dave.
    There only $2400.00 but I think you can get em for $1800.00

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIsland View Post
    There only $2400.00 but I think you can get em for $1800.00

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Seesh, for that kind of money they ought to do laser range finding and give you 8-digit grid map references.

Ahhhhh the outdoors. I love hunting and fishing, four wheeling, snowmobiling. I have pictures and plenty of stories but I gotta find some time to share some of my stuff.

BUT I do love my Remington Model 700 .270 with the wood stock and Mossburg 500 12GA pump action shot gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I don't backpack anymore due to arthritis, but I still camp with Boy and Venturing Scouts.

I prefer my Glock combat knife for a fixed blade. The blade holds an edge very well and it has a sawback perfect for cutting improvised tent poles. With a polycarb handle and sheath, it is a nice lightweight knife. I carried mine on my trouser belt all through Desert Storm.

I carry my 20+-year old Spyderco lock-blade folder and a Leatherman tool.

As far as boots: Danner only.
    I was just looking at some of the Glock Knives good looking steel right there Zulu. I def need to invest into a good set of Bino's.

Im hoping to be able to film, and video tape my upstate Il, backpacking excursion that I'm going on in January.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Camping, fishing,,,, I'm in. Hiking,,,, not so much. But there was a day. Wear a k-bar for looks, but an old hacker for most of the work. Been doing it so long, I'll have a few suggestions.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    I was just looking at some of the Glock Knives good looking steel right there Zulu. I def need to invest into a good set of Bino's.
    They are nice blades. I have a literal razors edge on mine. I'm only really good at a few things and putting an edge on a knife is one of them.

K-bar, 300 Remington Ultra Mag or AR15 with Red Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIsland View Post
    There only $2400.00
    Where!?hehe what makes this purchase difficult is that i already have 5 pair of field glasses and two of them are pretty clear and crisp

Oh, and i'm conservative and we're in a recession

Snow shoes Could have used them many times but never have. Do you need sticks for balance?

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Snow shoes Could have used them many times but never have. Do you need sticks for balance?
    Poles are great for Snow Shoes, its all about putting the right balance on them. Plus make sure you have the snow flake plugs on them. The regular terrain ones don't work well, you just post hole in the snow with the regular terrain plugs.

Thread Information