Outdoors Zephyr - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoors Zephyr

BR,
    REI stores keep a pretty extensive map inventory. I like USGS topo quadrangle series but you may want to browse a variety of topo trail maps and check the legend to see when the map was last field revised. Some trail maps contain 10 or more established routes on one map along with difficulty ratings, best time of year, trail traffic, points of interest, how long it should take, availability of water, camping facilities, closed or restricted areas, directions on how to arrive at the trailhead and where to park etc...Trails Illustrated comes to mind.

Most all of today's good maps are printed on waterproof paper and are tear "resistant". They have public lands bordered in bold color codes: National Forest, Grasslands, Parks, BLM, Wilderness areas.... If you scout out a place you and the kid might want to discover but can't find a dedicated map? REI also has NatGeo topo kiosks. Drag and zoom in for large detail in a small area or zoom out for small detail large area, print it out on waterproof paper for about $10.

It's not big game season in most states unless you deposit sign like bear or mountain lion. I see hikers wearing blaze orange year round and that's cool, but i've never been shot at or killed while hiking on public land any time of year.

--->Dave

Is this the REI you're talking about? http://www.rei.com/

It's not big game season in most states unless you deposit sign like bear or mountain lion. I see hikers wearing blaze orange year round and that's cool, but i've never been shot at or killed while hiking on public land any time of year.
    The area I'm thinking about after some quick research is Mark Twain National Forest in central MO. It's about 2.25 hours from me and looks pretty cool. Are people allowed to hunt in National Forests?

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Are people allowed to hunt in National Forests?
    Yes.

Well then...I reckon we'll be colorful.

Yeah orange vest is good, if your still interested in the knife part. Here are some of the brands I recommend, and loadout. Usually myself I carry a fixed blade, folder, and multitool. Is this required to have all, probably not, but when your in back country the right tools for the job is best. I carry a ka-bar, gerber profile, and a leatherman kick. All and all good knives, ka-bar is one of the brands I recommend, not as a Marine either, its just they carry high quality steel knives. Other good knives include gerber, ontario, cold steel, winchester, etc. For wood work at a camp fire, I recommend at least a 5inch fix blade. Semper

REI is also an excellent store to by from, its probably to do all of outfitter stores. I also love cabelas, give you a hint though, buy gear out of season. Cheaper prices that way

Yeah looks good, big and remote complete with 78,000 acres of designated wilderness (bonus) area. Maybe you could even find a secure parking space at Ft. Leonard Wood so your GTO don't get deliverance'd

Yes thats REI and the geeky cool thing about REI is they give WGS84 formated grid coordinates for each store

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    REI is also an excellent store to by from, its probably to do all of outfitter stores. I also love cabelas, give you a hint though, buy gear out of season. Cheaper prices that way
    When is out of season?

Isn't hunting season typically in the winter time. So if I go spring or summer I won't have to worry about getting popped by a hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    Maybe you could even find a secure parking space at Ft. Leonard Wood so your GTO don't get deliverance'd
    Man my GTO has been gone since mid-2008 when our second son was baking in my wife's oven. I drive a frakin Navigator now.

Yes thats REI and the geeky cool thing about REI is they give WGS84 formated grid coordinates for each store
    I had a hard time finding the right maps on there. Didn't even see Missouri listed. I'm gonna have to try a search of their site.

Thanks for all the help Marines.

BTW, how are REI's prices compared to others? The reason I ask is cause I get all my shooting gear from Midwayusa.com and they have great prices and quick shipping. Midway has a small camping section on their website (tools/knives, sleeping and cooking gear, etc) but I don't know if it will be enough of what I need.

BR when I say buy gear outa season I mean, when it come's to winter backpacking purchase all of your cold weather gear during the spring and summer. All of your spring, and summer gear during the winter season.

Edit: Packs and stuff like that are pretty standard prices all year, however you can usually find awesome sales, and coupon codes online.

Spyderco too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I don't backpack anymore due to arthritis, but I still camp with Boy and Venturing Scouts.

I prefer my Glock combat knife for a fixed blade. The blade holds an edge very well and it has a sawback perfect for cutting improvised tent poles. With a polycarb handle and sheath, it is a nice lightweight knife. I carried mine on my trouser belt all through Desert Storm.

I carry my 20+-year old Spyderco lock-blade folder and a Leatherman tool.

As far as boots: Danner only.
    I carry a lock blade Spyderco ,my son gave it to me several yrs ago..nice knife..It goes everywhere with me.

Like most competitive brick and mortar stores REI charges about the same for an individual item as online warehouses do after shipping fees are factored in, unless it's SierraTradingPost. They often have what appear to be great deals if you can find your size and it's something you want to buy, but they are an incomplete web outfitter.

I also have an assortment of useful gear and gadgets acquired from military surplus stores. Like heat tabs and John Wayne can openers, musette day pack, poncho, tarps, carabiners, compass, rope, ammo crates, waterproof metal boxes, tinder boxes, magnesium sticks.....

What do you recommend for water? I'm going to bring a good amount but I don't want to have to put 3 gallons of water on my back. Do you recommend iodine tablets or maybe just boiling river water? Seems like it would be a lot easier than carrying multiple canteens/camel backs.

And it tastes like sh*t that treated water does get a water bottle with a filter and tube or carry coffee filters, drink upstream or directly from the ground. stay clear of pools where critters drink amd mosquitos breed

HA, I found one that has the iodine tabs PLUS a "taste neutralizer". Wonder how well that works.

....did you just say drink directly from the ground?

Thread Information