For the older Marines
Create Post

For the older Marines

How much has Marine Corps equipment changed since you came in? In my time, I've seen the Osprey (and it may get to the fleet yet), the Molle pack (and seen it go the way of the dodo), and new MRE's (good eatin there).

I won't go into the new attitudes I've seen in 7 years, and I hope you won't either. I'm sure this site doesn't have that much room.

1981 thru 1985- F4-Phamtom plane captain(crew chief).
    Worked with F-4N,J & S. VMFAT-323 AND VMFAT-101.
    Never got to eat any MRE's- they just sent us cold chicken and hard boiled at the flightline!

Hard boiled eggs that is! OOPS!

Cool OLD CORPS..........

We still had the 782 Field Gear, were changing over to the Alice system. Still had C-Rats, M-16A1, Gamma-Goat Trucks, MAR-83 Radio Jeeps, TRAC-75 was the main radio still in use, along with PRC-75 Radios. M-79 Gernade Launcher was still around. Probably a lot more but cannot recall any more at this time.........LOL

Sempers,

Roger

I saw the Gama Goat leave, the MRE's get introduced, the M880's drive up, and the M16A2. Matter of fact we (perm per) at Camp Geiger were the only ones at the rifle range with the M16A2's. Everyone else had the A1's still. We caused a lot of heads to turn in the spring of 1986. I didn't get to drive the new Hummer.

M-14 went & m-16 came in. 782 was there when I left, along with alice pack. Phantoms were still the hot thing in the air. A-6's A-4's still going strong. I saw the very 1st Cobra squadron move in next door(Scarface HMA367) M-60 tanks, M-60 MG's. Grease guns, m-79's, and of course, C-rats. The only innovation I really saw, were the cobras and the switch from 14's to 16's. Soft covers that ya had to starch were std issue. Corfams were not. Jungle boots & cammies weren't allowed in conus, or at least not that I ever saw. The only cammies I knew of was jungle. No, I'm not Old Corps, not even close. Just old. But there's some here older (& wiser) than me.

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

1950 t0 1955

Some of us in Korea had scrounged WW2 cammies from Marines rotating to CONUS...weapons and gear were conventional WW2 nomenclature...Regimental Anti-Tank Companies [5 Tanks and 75mm Recoiless Rifle teams]were survyed by the...ONTOS armored vehicle in late 1950s...in 1952 the classic WW1 100% woolen overcoat was survyed with the introduction of the shiny nylon raincoat [very popular]...WW2/Korea boondockers were survyed by the black jack-boots in 1954....just like the mystery of life...one must adapt to...change. S/F

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I saw the gamma goats go, the jeep go,the hummer came in the deuce and a half gone, the five ton in, tha A-1's gone, the A-2's and SAW's in, C-rats out,MRES in,white T's out, green ones in rank on the cover then off again,V-neck T's came and went. LAW rockets replaced by the SMAW and the DRAGON. The boots changed a couple of times, the matierial in the cammies from cotton to rip stop popplins.( I would love to have a pair of the new ones)Swagger sticks gone.

Guess this is a good place to say it.
    One thing hasn't changed. A Marine is still the meanest sob on the block.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up greybeard

You are right on target, Marine...thank our lucky stars...that will...Never...change!!

Cool SOME MORE FROM THE PAST.........

We had the F-8 Crusaders and a vehicle called the Mighty Mite that replaced the old jeeps, than the Ford Jeeps replaced the Mighty Mite(was made by American Motors)..............LOL
    Than we also had the Ontos(tank killer)...........

Sempers,

Roger

How about the Herringbone Utilities with the brass buttons? When I cam in, in 1964, they were no longer issue but they were still authorized, and anyone who could get their hands on a set was wearing them.

I still miss the M-14

Semper Fi,
    Bob

Credits
    Savings

WW2/Korea Herringbone Dungarees

Right on target, badbob...I don't know what they were made of, but they wore like iron and after several washings in salt water they had a slight...whiteish [sp] look...that made you a...salty looking bastard!! S/F

Registered User Free Member Jim Reynolds's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    782 gear, bucket issue , knapsack& haversack, shelterhalf and tent pegs, greens, trops, and those impossible to keep squared away khakis. Wide ties, skinny ties, and back to wide ties

I remember the Mule, M151 Jeep, 1st generation AV-8 Harrier, A-4 Skyhawk, PRC-25 & PRC-77 radio sets, RT-524 & RT-246 radio sets, TSC-15 radio shelter, TA-1 phone (field-expedient cattle prod for some), SB-8 switchboards. Some radios containing tubes, transistors & simple integrated circuits inside the same housing. FAAD gunners used Redeye AA missile (later replaced by Stinger) for close in air defense. Hawk Missiles used for medium range air defense.
    LAV Directorate was at 29 Palms in 1980 (6-wheel, the 8-wheel & tracked versions competed). In the early 80's Marine Corps also publicized plans to procure HUMVEES, MK-19 belt fed 40mm, Squad Automatic Weapon, 9 mm (Beretta, FNDA, S&W were considered) & improve the LVTP-7 (later dubbed the AAV). Mine breaching equipment (Line Charge) was also being developed.

Thread Information