Would the fact that I'm an Atheist cause me to be treated differently?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Would the fact that I'm an Atheist cause me to be treated differently?

Personally, I don't in believe God, for numerous reasons that I will not take time explaining. I've been told millions of things by people like "Marines are all a bunch of religious fanatics, If they knew you were an Atheist, they would murder you." and "They like killing people of other religions." Things of that nature.

Anyway, me being an Atheist, would I really be shunned simply because I didn't believe in God? Are there other Atheists in the Marine Corps?

Wow, I don't know who told you that because that is far from the truth. I known WAY more atheists than I do religious Marines and we don't kill people because they're another religion we kill people because they try to kill us and they happen to be another religion.

Yes you will be shunned. Keep your religion and your politics to yourself.

All it means is that you'll be sitting around the squad bay on Sundays at boot camp. You won't be the only one either (my services were Fridays). There were times where nearly half of my platoon didn't go to services.

That being said, if you're an atheist who straight up hates any reference to G-d, you may take issue that just about every ceremony you are lead in prayer by a chaplain (usually Protestant). For those, you're expected to at least bow your head in respect. Not that it should dissuade you, just giving you a heads up.

Don't be a militant atheist.

You can still see the chaplain if you have any issues, you aren't required to attend service but it's a good chance to bond with your future brothers.

You'll learn that the Corps is a religion unto itself where Chesty is held in the highest regard, wisdom is sought from Archibald Henderson and men that wear bursting bombs are heralded as demi-gods placed on Earth to be the baddest men around.

And like the Cpl said, keep your trash to yourself; it's your business.

Most Marines don't like extremists..so if you don't make a big deal out of something, it won't be a big deal. From what you said, I am worried about the kind of people you hang out with, as the people you associate with reflects on you personally. "They like killing people of other religions." What is "other religions" that us Marines like to kill? that's pretty vague considering there are many different religions in the Marine Corps. I've served with Buddhists, atheists, pretty much all forms of Christianity, Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Toaists, agnostics, Wiccans, Satanists, and Vodun...please take into account that I haven't talked about religion to the majority of guys I've worked with.

In bootcamp you can go to Taoist, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Islamic, and many other religious services. You will get a big long list of them when you get there (not that it matters to you). Most Marines stop going to religious services after bootcamp anyway.

For various reasons (including atheists like yourself), you can also find non-religious, spiritual services. These are usually administered by whatever chaplain is available, or a Marine's wife/husband/family member volunteer, regardless of their religion (chaplains wear their religious symbol on their collar opposite side of their rank. As mentioned above, they are normally Protestant, but I've also seen Jews, Catholics, and Muslims).

Oh, and most importantly, understand that the Marine Corps is actually made up of a bunch of different people. Some of them may shun you for being atheist, some won't, most won't care, and many others are atheist as well. Same goes for people who like country music, dip, do Crossfit, like racquetball, are Steelers fans, racists, sexists, environmentalists....basically its just like the outside world; but Marines are more disciplined, hard working, and have to be able to get along with everyone regardless of their beliefs, likes, and dislikes, etc

I see somebody has it out for Steelers fans

For the most part, keep it to yourself, unless it comes up in conversation.
    As long as you don't go running around screaming " I am an Athiest, respect me!" people wont care.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    \

You'll learn that the Corps is a religion unto itself where Chesty is held in the highest regard, wisdom is sought from Archibald Henderson and men that wear bursting bombs are heralded as demi-gods placed on Earth to be the baddest men around.
    Oohrah.

I'm an Athiest and I went to church every Sunday in bootcamp. My friends in my plt were going and it was way better than any bullsh!t that you would be doing in the squadbay with your DIs. It is just about the only time of the week you look forward to in bootcamp...two hours of freedom.
    As far as being shunned...you will be the minority, all other people do is make jokes and then five minutes later move on to something else to b!tch about. When my squad in the fleet first found out they were taken back, but no one really gives a flying f*ck since were about to go to Afghanistan. One of my best friends in the fleet is about as religious as you can get.

Just don't go around evangelizing your sh!t and you'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    I'm an Athiest and I went to church every Sunday in bootcamp. My friends in my plt were going and it was way better than any bullsh!t that you would be doing in the squadbay with your DIs. It is just about the only time of the week you look forward to in bootcamp...two hours of freedom.
    As far as being shunned...you will be the minority, all other people do is make jokes and then five minutes later move on to something else to b!tch about. When my squad in the fleet first found out they were taken back, but no one really gives a flying f*ck since were about to go to Afghanistan. One of my best friends in the fleet is about as religious as you can get.

Just don't go around evangelizing your sh!t and you'll be good.
    Exactly,

As long as you don't try to convince everyone that religion is bad and God is dead, then it will be a non-issue. The majority of people in the Marine Corps are religious, or have some religious conviction. But so is everyone else in the world. The only difference between you working at Best Buy or being a Marine is that Marines are more apt to forego political correctness and get in a heated argument if you try to challenge their beliefs...while the average citizen will often shirk away. Marines like to argue (many of them, at least) and most guys are A-type personalities. So if you get 'all up' in someone's face about how atheism is logical and correct and religious people are sheep (or whatever the argument may be), don't be surprised if you get called on it an are quickly outnumbered in the debate. Same thing goes for politics and other topical matters. Basically, if you want to convince people of a belief, you better be prepared b/c you will be surprised at some of the sh*t Marines know details about...so if you want to be argumentative and don't look like you know what you are talking about, you will probably loose some respect and people will think you are just shooting off your mouth for sensationalism or for attention.

Religion and politics are just topics Marines should avoid.
    Now sex....you can talk about that all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    Religion and politics are just topics Marines should avoid.
    Now sex....you can talk about that all day long.
    What if you're having sex with a Goddess?

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    What if you're having sex with a Goddess?
    Well then thats an email that needs to be sent out to every Marine on the global address list.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    Well then thats an email that needs to be sent out to every Marine on the global address list.
    with full motion video

Thread Information