Join? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Join?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This kid won't take reality for an answer.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks fespar! God this really hurts me, I think nothing has ever made me feel so frustrated and at the same time so determined. If the green card is indeed the way to go, any help on that? Is it possible to have a company ask you for the sole purpose of enlisting? I have 3 years until graduation; I am fluent in both Spanish and English, and I am getting to that point in German. What can I start doing? Should I ask elsewhere? Please, ANY help is very much welcome; I had no idea I wanted this so much until I was told that I could not do it.

Credits
    Savings
    Since I cannot Edit: I was sure I wanted to join the Marines; the part of the needed green card just made surer and more determined to do it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Go the officer route. 24 is too old to start in the enlisted side.

Quote Originally Posted by mincj View Post
    Go the officer route. 24 is too old to start in the enlisted side.
    First, not everyone who has a college degree is cut out to be an officer.
    Second, he needs to obtain a green card. (Read his 1st post).
    Third, in my opinion, he's not to old to go enlisted. My nephew, who graduated college in May and went to boot camp on June 1st, went enlisted. He was 25 when he left and turned 26 in boot camp. He's currently at 29 Palms at his MOS school.

He's not too old to 'go enlisted', and not only will he need a Green card (aka 'Right to work permit') to enlist, he'll have to be a naturalized American to become an officer. That will take even longer.

Solution: Get to the US, do the 'job' for as long as it takes, then enlist.

There is no 'back door' or 'easy way'. That's the ONLY way.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright, thanks. I was also told by a Marine that I should contact a recruiter; apparently there is a possibility to enlist and go directly to boot camp. Otherwise, I will have to do it the hard way.
    On another note, is there anything I can be doing in advance to prepare for joining the Marines? Apart from keeping in shape and working out? Like maybe some books I should read, activities I should get into...
    Thanks again for everything.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Thread Information