Help with some options - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chill out dude you aren't in the Marines yet and you don't have to take crap from Marines no matter what they tell you, especially over an Internet forum.

I will always suggest Avionics for all poolees not looking for combat but who still want to deploy, have normal working hours, stable promotions, ample time for college and other activities, and recognition of your work (not green side training or PT, that comes in second). All in all it's a cool skate MOS that you can learn a lot from and not feel like you wasted your time in the Marine Corps. And you WILL deploy. Unless you get pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by CAsh110 View Post
    I don't have any problem with rules nor do I have any problem with following rules. You demand respect as Marines, and I understand that, but when you blatantly attack people when they accidentally fail to adhere to those set of rules is when I have a problem. One thing everyone realizes as a child is that it takes respect to get respect. You demand respect for being a former Marine, well we deserve respect for being in the process of becoming Marines. The rules say it is not acceptable for a poolee to say oohrah because we have not earned the title yet but it is acceptable to say it in boot camp before we earn the title. The rules say we can not say Semper Fi because we have not earned the title but I have yet to see and form of copyright that says the United States Marine Corps owns the rights to Semper Fi or Semper Fidelis. Semper Fi is used as a greeting and motivator. It is also used as a sign of respect. You could completely change a persons view on the Marine Corps by instead of chewing a poolee out for saying it by just saying it back. We poolees are more than just a pile of dog **** for you to step in and wipe away with a few choices words. We poolees are the future of the Marine Corps. We are walking the exact same path as you but only a few steps behind. There is a difference between deserving respect and being just plain ignorant. And if you would take the time to properly read my post I said that "the older Marines OF THIS SITE..." not every Marine. That means the older Marines of this site have their set of rules. There is a difference between merely pointing out the rules when needed and chewing somebody out for it. You make yourselves look bad for that. Demanding respect also means that you must act respectable. I have the utmost respect for every person that has and is currently serving in the Marine Corps because I was born and raised the Marine Corps way. You can have my post deleted for being disrespectful or have me banned from the site but you know what? There isn't a poolee or currently serving Marine that doesn't agree with what I have just said.
    Anyone can enlist to become a Marine. Not everyone can become a Marine. If you have what it takes to make it through recruit training, then..........you become a Marine.
    Whether you or anyone else believes this or not, I do have respect for the young men and women who will soon join the ranks of becoming a Marine.
    What bothers me the most is that when I, or any other Marine, corrects a wannabe or poolee for whatever reason, you all think that we are being rude, mean, disrespectful and blatantly attacking you. And these comments by you......We poolees are more than just a pile of dog **** for you to step in and wipe away with a few choices words......There is a difference between deserving respect and being just plain ignorant. If you think that myself, or any of the other Marines, are being just plain ignorant, wait till you meet your Drill Instrcutors. Then you'll know what ingnorant means by their standards. I already know how ingnorant they can be....I've been there, and my oldest brother, who's a retired Marine GySgt, is also a former Drill Instructor. So, I know.
    I, for one, don't curse or go into name calling to put any wannabe or poolee down. You all aren't children anymore....you are young adults ready to take on the biggest challenge of your lives. If any wannabe or poolee has a problem with what I, or any other Marine, have to say to any of you, you are going to be in for the rudest awakening of your lives when that Drill Instructor gets on that bus in the wee hours of the early morning, and starts going off on anyone for any reason they see fit. Learn to grow some thick skin now, you're gonna need it.
    When I was in recruit training, we weren't allowed to say Ooh-Rah or anything like that until we EARNED the title. My nephew graduated from Marine Corps recruit training in August of this year. They were told not even to think of saying Ooh-Rah or anything of that nature. If they did.....well, your arse was getting quarterdecked and it wasn't fun.
    I don't answer any wannabes or poolees with an Ooh-Rah or Semper Fi. You aren't Marines yet. That's only something I say to my fellow Marines. And until you've EARNED the title, it's just a 'best of luck to you' or 'good luck' from me. I can't stop any other Marines from saying it to any of you, that's their choice.

Semper Fidelis

More than a motto, a way of life

Semper Fidelis distinguishes the Marine Corps bond from any other. It goes beyond teamwork – it is a brotherhood and lasts for life.

Latin for "always faithful," Semper Fidelis became the Marine Corps motto in 1883. It guides Marines to remain faithful to the mission at hand, to each other, to the Corps and to country, no matter what.

Becoming a Marine is a transformation that cannot be undone, and Semper Fi reminds us of that. Once made, a Marine will forever live by the ethics and values of the Corps.

So, in my opinion, until you've EARNED the title, no one other than a Marine, will understand the "true meaning" of what Semper Fidelis means when Marines exchange those words with each other. If and when you make it through recruit training, then you'll understand the "true meaning" of what Semper Fidelis means to Marines.
    Again, if you have a problem with not being able to say Ooh-Rah and Semper Fi here on Leatherneck.com, then I suggest you talk to the site owner about that.

As for the "older Marines" comment, I'm one of those "older Marines", compared to you younger poolees. Yeah, I'm only 44, but more than half of the ages of future Marines who are on this site. So, when you say something about "older Marines", you're talking about me also....and when you mess one Marine, you mess with us all.

Best of luck to you on your journey to become a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    These are suggestions..... Aircrew... If I had to do it over again... C130 aircrew is the way to go, you travel all over the world instead of being confined to one region all the time. So, if you are going for aircrew, that would be my suggestion. Three other MOS to think about.... Journalist, for obvious reasons. Air Traffic Controller, (translates to $$$$ money on the outside, once you complete your tour). Meterologist, (you get avionics training and weather training) (money on the outside). You have made a life altering decision by joining the MARINE Corps. Once you earn the title, it can never be taken away from you. Be careful on who you trust in the MARINE Corps among your peers, stay away from the bad crowd and surround yourself with higher caliber MARINES. Who you hang with will reflect on you as a MARINE by your superiors. If someone trys to sell you an item or borrows money from you, make up a receipt and get witnesses to sign it. A MARINE who I have been mentoring lost his PFC rank out of bootcamp because he trusted a a dirtbag who should have not earned the title who sold to him a TV that was later found out to be stolen. So he was left holding the bag. A MARINE is a professional, I congratulate you on making this decision to earn the title. God bless you and Semper Fi.
    That's a negative on the avionics training for meteorologists. However, if you get assigned to an intel bn you will probably learn platform capabilities and limitations as your entire job at the unit is to brief potential weather-related impacts.

You do go to school with Marines who just got out of Pensacola for avionics training though.

Hologram, thanks for the heads up. After my first tour on ground side, I decided to go back for seconds a month later and work on OV10 Broncos. If my memory serves me right, back then, the meteorologist students first went thru Avionics training before reporting to Chanute AFB in Rantoul IL for meterological training. Chanute no longer exists. That was 20 years ago, and like all things.... the Corps changes.

Keep me posted Cash, before and after boot camp. Great to meet you.

It was great to meet you too TunTvrnWarrior.

Thread Information