Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Camp

Boot Camp

Well I leave for boot camp tomorrow. I will get back on here when i get back after I graduate. All the poolees this goes out to you, if you have like 6 months to wait, it will go by fast, my six months went by really fast.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Tick, Tick, Tick.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Tick, Tick, Tick.
    What does that mean?

Your time is running out.. Tick tock doc.

It means time's a freakin' tickin', and it aint gonna stop.

I leave 4 weeks from today, and I'm already about to start ****ting bricks. Time really has gone by fast in the grander scope of things. I've been counting down the months, and the months turned into weeks, and the weeks will soon be turning into days. It's really an eye opener. I'm ready, but it just makes you start appreciating the simple, small things more - like good times with friends and family. This is only the beginning as well, and I know I'm going to feel just the same leaving them for even a longer stint in MCT+MOS school.

YOU HAVE 100 SECONDS TO GET TO MCRDSD. 100 99 98 20 15 10

lol sorry couldn't resist. Good luck man, Don't quit!

Good luck poolee. Come back a Marine.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    good luck bud.

Good luck dude. Come back with that nice title, ya?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Poolee Lekas
    MCRDPI 20100125
    MOS: 1141 Electrician
    IST to be done this saturday

( any tips or ideas of how I can lose some more weight fast; I am 6'1 230- and struggle some what with pull up's because of my weight{I'm at 5 now, want to be able to get up to at least 10}......)

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I recently messaged this advice to another poolee, I'm a personal trainer, I work side by side with nutritionists at my gym, so I've amassed a good amount of knowledge when it comes to losing weight.
    1. stop eating 3 meals a day - go to 4 or 5 small ones. 3 meals is enough time in between eating to put your body in a mode where it more effectively stores fat.
    2. cardio at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. INTENSIVE cardio. not jogging, walking, playing a sport with your friends - RUNNING. remember, weight training can be cardio too if you do it right.
    3. strength training - do your exercises SLOWLY and progress from one exercise to the other QUICKLY. you can do a split routine, but for people losing weight I always suggest a full body routine 3x a week. don't spend time hanging around the gym between sets - if you can lift the weight 30 seconds after your last set, do it. keep exhausting those muscles. working slowly ensures you'll recruit and exhaust your slow twitch (endurance), fast twitch oxidative (strength/power), and white fast twitch (superpower, if you will) fibers, and moving fast between exercises ensures you'll properly exhaust all the fibers instead of just re-working the same ones over and over.
    4. DONT GO OVERBOARD WITH THE CARDIO! How many fat bodies do you see in the gym on the elliptical? It's ridiculous! If you have a HIGH metabolism and you do INTENSIVE cardio for one hour, you'll burn around 500 calories (keep in mind this is with a high metabolism and this is you being able to keep up intensive cardio for an HOUR...a VERY ideal situation). a pound of fat has 3500 calories, meaning that if you don't take in one calorie during this time, you'd have to do 7 hours of intensive cardio just to burn one pound of fat. You'd injure yourself badly before you did this in a short period of time. Strength training builds muscle and increases your metabolism. Muscle burns calories. A high metabolism burns more calories. You'll be burning calories while you strength train and also you'll be burning more calories around the clock than you normally would be. Remember, I do my weight training in 30-45 minutes and i burn upwards of 500 calories just in that time - more than cardio, and my metabolism will have gone up because of it as well.
    5. FOOD. NUTRITION. EAT WELL! You can do all the training in the world and stay fat. Why? Because when you exhaust muscles they need to rebuild with protein and amino acids! If you want to lose weight you have to cut out most fats from your diet! Go low on the carbs! Don't go overboard on the protein, but eat LOTS of fruits and vegetables. Before noon, have fruit + protein. After noon, have vegetables + protein. Get some whole wheat in there and get a few carbs, but go lightly. I always get asked what a meal could entail - for breakfast, I have a glass of milk, an oatmeal packet, a handful of nuts, and a banana. That's a meal. Small, nutritious, has vitamins, protein, calcium, and gives me good energy.
    Anyway, I hope others will read this so I don't have to post it again, it's much easier to say out loud than it is to type. It's worth it to read though if you're a fat body, losing weight isn't COMPLICATED, it's rather SIMPLE - the DIFFICULT part is being dedicated to losing it. If you're strength training, supplementing with cardio, and eating right, you can't possibly NOT lose fat and build muscle.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thank you; i am shaking in anticipation i can not wait to get down there. its been a year in making cant wait to be apart of the best

Ok Mulls here's a question for you. What if your at the very bottom of the weight requirements trying to build muscle. Right now I am 5'10" and 130 pounds. My IST scores as passing but less than ideal. You can find loads of information for overweight people to get into shape but what about the people that are pushing underweight trying to gain?

Mulls can you post your entire daily diet with type, amount, times? Appreciate it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CAsh110 View Post
    Ok Mulls here's a question for you. What if your at the very bottom of the weight requirements trying to build muscle. Right now I am 5'10" and 130 pounds. My IST scores as passing but less than ideal. You can find loads of information for overweight people to get into shape but what about the people that are pushing underweight trying to gain?
    if you're underweight trying to gain, you should still be eating 5+ meals a day - it's better for you all around. i'm a hard gainer, i used to be 155 at 6'2 and now i'm 195 at 6'3, so i had exactly your problem. i'll post my meal plan for a day, atsimmons can see it too.
    breakfast - ~8am - 3 egg whites + 2 eggs with yolk, milk, banana, toast.
    ~11am - handful of peanuts/almonds, oatmeal, milk, banana/orange, sometimes a protein shake made with milk instead of just milk.
    ~2pm - turkey/chicken, lettuce, tomato, mozzarella cheese on whole wheat
    ~5pm - just a little snack, usually a bowl of cereal with some milk and baby carrots
    ~8pm - dinner - fish usually, or chicken - have a salad with this, have some type of bread, and have cucumbers/green beans/any green vegetable.
    after working out i'll have a protein shake usually made with milk and a banana, or just make it with water if i'm going to be eating soon. my rule is usually protein/fruit BEFORE noon, protein/vegetables AFTER noon. oh, and you can go overboard on the protein. your body spends a lot of energy breaking down protein into amino acids, so you can go light on the protein, and vegetables have amino acids, though to get the amino acids out of them you have to eat them raw because cooking them denatures the AAs. notice i'm trying to eat every 3 hours. on a particularly rough workout day, i'll take a little protein, half a scoop maybe, with some water before bed - this helps your muscles rebuild while you sleep and assuming your protein powder is good (don't get a crappy muscletech brand loaded with fat, get optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey - even GNC 100% whey has 31 grams of protein per scoop with only 25 calories) doesn't make you gain unwanted weight.

basically cash, the program i outlined for people losing weight is simply designed to minimize fat intake and maximize muscle gain - a hard gainer wants this too, but if you have time to bulk up on size and then cut down the fat, i'd suggest just throwing in a whole ****load of pasta along with that meal plan. often eating a LOT and then cutting down is a great way to gain weight - just make sure you're not eating crap.

Thread Information