What is your goal IST before you ship out? - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Initial IST - 20100427 (Was out of shape)
    Pull ups - 5
    Crunches - 0
    Situps - 40
    1.5 mile run - 13:46

Most Recent IST - 20100510
    Pull ups -5
    Crunches - 57
    1.5 mile run - 13:00

Quote Originally Posted by s4m222 View Post
    9 Chin ups (palm facing me)
    ???

I do think that you have pull ups and chin ups confused. If your palms are facing you, that is a pull up.

My thoughts

Pull up beats chin up every time.

Check out the Armstrong pull up Workout if you haven't already. Made by a Marine. It doesn't get any better than that.

pull up is palm out and chinup is palm facing me correct? (this is what a general consesus via google has lead me to believe)

according too yourself however i have it wrong? (not that i care being wrong, I just want to make sure i do the more efficient one)

Yes, I am telling you that I believe you are wrong.

Palm in is more than likely going to be best for you. Just do alot of pullups and you will be able to determine for yourself.

I don't know about you, but I am getting 20 before boot camp whether it be pull up or chin up.

It does appear that I was wrong... I don't know where I got the idea, but it has been what I thought was a pull up and chin up for a # of years.

Thank you for clearing that up.

=) i came to the same conclusion but i figure its just a difference of terms so I didnt really care.

But then to clarify your previous statement. "Pull up beats chin up every time."

Could be redefined as Palm in beats palm out every time?

Indeed.

Palm in beats palm out every time.

I can do more palm facing out most of the time. palm facing out uses more of your back and lats and palm facing in uses more biceps from what I've found out. It just depends personally which muscle group is stronger on you. But in general more people can do more palm facing in.

Just took the IST yesterday at the state wide pool function and did okay, though by the time I go to recruit training in december. I plan on getting back into shape and my pullups to 20 and run time down under 9 for a perfect score.

It is more about form than anything else. Learn how to use the muscles associated to the pull up to there maximum efficiency without breaking the rules.
    I immediately increased the number of pull ups I did when I learned how to use my back more effectively during a chin up.
    What is the point in having muscles if you don't know how to use them?

I personally work on my pull-ups more than I do my chin-ups because it works a larger group of muscles. Before I leave I would love to run an IST with scores such as:

Pull-Ups: 21 reps
    Crunches: 115
    2400m Run: 9:45

It doesn't really make sense that chin ups are better than pull ups really, but it still (to me) seems to be the case.

Just took a IST last saturday at our monthly pool function.
    11:42 run
    14 pullups
    96 crunches.
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 190

My GOAL IST
    Below 11:
    20 pullups (at least)
    100 crunches (at least)

this month's IST is in my signature. so far my goal is just to prepare more mentally. I know my general orders/rank structure/core values and various other USMC history, even some guidon movements.

but as for pullups, I always found that using a wide grip with palms out was best for me. less distance is traveled in the full range of motion (think about it..) and my back is already strong from powerlifting. it's all preference I guess, b/c I can't seem to do more chins than I can pullups.

Well thats the thing, I always found pullups to be easier. I started doing 0 of each, eventually working up to 1 pullup, then 2, 3, etc. Every ist i've taken i've managed to get 1 more than the last.
    But I was never able to get 1 chinup. And im now up to 14 pullups on my last one. But I tried chin ups the other day, and managed 11. So I could probably do either one, but i've looked it up..and most sites say Pullups work more muscles than chinups. So i'll stick with pullups. (Palms facing towards me)

Thread Information