Father's not wanting their children to join.
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Father's not wanting their children to join.

Hello, I have a question for parents of Marines that are also Marines. I am 17, turning 18 in 7 months. My dad is a US Marine Vietnam Veteran. All my life I've talked about joining the Marines, I always liked to think it is exactly how I would end up because "it's in my blood" and "I want to be like dad". Growing up of coarse he's always been darn proud of being a Marine and I love it. However, now that I am in my last year of High School, and it is a possible reality, he absolutely hates me mentioning joining the Marines. I understand he is my dad and doesn't want me getting killed and yes, we all know 98% chance that I'm going from boot camp right to Iraq or Afghanistan. He had to know the same thing when he joined the Marines during Vietnam. I'm asking for some advice on how to talk to him about it. Whenever I try to talk about it calmly, he gets really mad Thank You for the advice in advance.

First, you won't be going straight from boot camp to Iraq or Afghanistan. You'll be going to SOI/MCT, then your MOS school. If and when you get deployed, you may have a year in the Marine Corps by then.
    As for talking with your dad, no mater how much he may get mad when you bring it up, just keep trying to talk to him and let him know that this is what you really want, and tell your dad that it's important to you that understands that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonezy View Post
    Hello, I have a question for parents of Marines that are also Marines. I am 17, turning 18 in 7 months. My dad is a US Marine Vietnam Veteran. All my life I've talked about joining the Marines, I always liked to think it is exactly how I would end up because "it's in my blood" and "I want to be like dad". Growing up of coarse he's always been darn proud of being a Marine and I love it. However, now that I am in my last year of High School, and it is a possible reality, he absolutely hates me mentioning joining the Marines. I understand he is my dad and doesn't want me getting killed and yes, we all know 98% chance that I'm going from boot camp right to Iraq or Afghanistan. He had to know the same thing when he joined the Marines during Vietnam. I'm asking for some advice on how to talk to him about it. Whenever I try to talk about it calmly, he gets really mad Thank You for the advice in advance.
    Understand, your dad loves you, and only wants the best for you. My guess is he has his own idea of what you should do with your life. Whether he is right or wrong, give him a chance to tell you why he does not want you to join, and listen to him. Ultimately the decision will be up to you, but give him a chance to voice his concerns. Good luck.

Get your Dad's help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonezy,

As a father and Marine that just watched his son graduate from Parris Island yesterday 11-20-09 I also was not happy at first that my son wanted to enlist. What made it easier for me was that my son let me be involved in the recruiting portion. Your dad has experience with the Corp even though it was a long time ago he knows the way things happen once enlisted and can be very helpful in the choices you make. If you take advantage of his wisdom that will help him be more comfortable with your choice. You need to understand that your father only wants whats best for you and involving him from the beginning will help you both. Your recruiter will also respect your fathers wishes because he served and that will help you. Good luck with your enlistment and take advantage of all the info your father can provide. Believe me once it is done and he stands with you on the parade deck, it will be one of his proudest moments ever.

Jeff Hattendorf a proud Marine Father SEMPER FI

Tim, first, realize that it is a father's duty to protect their kids. He knows what goes down in a war zone, and no doubt wants to protect you (his offspring) from that. When discussing matters of the Corps with him, be calm, matter-of-fact, and rational. When he knows that you are determined about your choice (especially if you wait til you're of age, and do not need his permission), he will probably accept your decision. After (if) you graduate boot, I'm thinking his attitude will change, and he will be so proud of you, his head will swell 3+ sizes. If you deploy, he will fear for you, but, being a Marine, he will understand that you will do what you must. My father, a Marine and Korea veteran, opposed my intention to enlist in the Corps. After he accepted my decision, he was proud as punch, and we became brothers as well as Dad-and-son. Good luck, and keep your head and ass wired together.

Jonezy, When My Son, Scott Joined In 2005 I Was Proud But Nervous. Then My Youngest Son, Brian, Joined In 2009. He Graduates From Parris Island Dec 11th. Both Insisted On 0311. I Have Never Been So Proud And So Scared At The Same Time. Scott Just Re Upped For 4 More Years And Brian Is In For 6. I Have No Doubt That One Or Both Will End Up In Afghanistan. Ask Your Dad Why He Joined. I'll Bet You Have A Lot In Common. He Won't Like It But He Will Understand.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank You Very Much Marines! Being with my dad on my Boot Camp graduation day is exactly what I've always wanted, to see him that proud of me. He says that he joined because he had no other option(but he was NOT drafted). From the beginning I always wanted him involved in my choice to join the Marines but he literally get's mad about it.

Hey,
    I'm going through the same boat as you dad don't want me to join either at 17 hes being quite a fagot lol,Hes ex army and was in for 8 years and went to iraq and now don't want his son being a marine he has told me and told me I dont want me kid being a "JARHEAD" and all this other crap. Ya I understand that hes ex military and don't wanting his son to go off to war and get killed,So I have to wait tell im 18 to enlist which is pretty darn close.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would not wish what i went threw in nam on my worst enemy...therefor i darn sure would not wish it on my sons.....so dont expect your dad to sign for you...if you are determined then wait till your 18....takes a big load off your dad also....if you do get killed maimed or what ever ..he cant blame himself for signing

my 2 cents worth

Credits
    Savings
    FYI: for me I don't know about this other person, I'm not looking to join now at 17, yes I can do whatever I want at 18 but I would at least like my dad's blessing.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfirefighter View Post
    Hey,
    I'm going through the same boat as you dad don't want me to join either at 17 hes being quite a fagot lol,Hes ex army and was in for 8 years and went to iraq and now don't want his son being a marine he has told me and told me I dont want me kid being a "JARHEAD" and all this other crap. Ya I understand that hes ex military and don't wanting his son to go off to war and get killed,So I have to wait tell im 18 to enlist which is pretty darn close.
    Did you seriously just call your Father a faggot?

he sure did!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like the kid needs a real old fashioned ass kicking..........

bootlace15 out

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Did you seriously just call your Father a faggot?
    Yes Sir, I just did call my dad a Fagot. He wasn't there for me most of my life so I got my reasons,Hes EX army as for me I don't like army people after what happened this year and my dad knows it......The reason I don't like army people is because when I was in school just 4 months ago a Nasty Guard Recruiter walked up to me saying join the National Guard HAHAHAHA I was in my marine shirt and told him "**** THAT I'M NOT WITH THAT PARTY Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OF PUSSY'S Y'ALL SERVE NO ****ING PURPOSE EVEN ASK MY STEP DAD HES A E-7 HE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OF PUSSYS" and he came up and grabed my wrist and snaped it in half so now I Have to go to court over it because he had no right to lay his hand on a minor....I went and told my dad about it and he didnt care so yes I did call my dad a FAGOT!

Quote Originally Posted by cbfirefighter View Post
    Yes Sir, I just did call my dad a Fagot. He wasn't there for me most of my life so I got my reasons,Hes EX army as for me I don't like army people after what happened this year and my dad knows it......The reason I don't like army people is because when I was in school just 4 months ago a Nasty Guard Recruiter walked up to me saying join the National Guard HAHAHAHA I was in my marine shirt and told him "**** THAT I'M NOT WITH THAT PARTY Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OF PUSSY'S Y'ALL SERVE NO ****ING PURPOSE EVEN ASK MY STEP DAD HES A E-7 HE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OF PUSSYS" and he came up and grabed my wrist and snaped it in half so now I Have to go to court over it because he had no right to lay his hand on a minor....I went and told my dad about it and he didnt care so yes I did call my dad a FAGOT!
    Sounds to me like you got what you had coming. You are not even a shower shoe yet, and with your attitude, I doubt you will even get that far. You seem to think putting down your father, and members of other branches of the military will win you favor here. Nothing could be farther from the truth. All you are showing is immaturity and a big lack of respect for people who have done more than you could fathom. You need to loose the schoolgirl attitude, and grow up. And you need a good ass kicking.

Credits
    Savings
    Holy ****, what is wrong with the kids today?

Thread Information