Purple Hearts proposed for Fort Hood victims
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

CNN ^ | 11/17/09 | unnamed

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:29:19 PM by Califreak

Washington (CNN) -- Military victims of the Fort Hood massacre will be eligible to receive the Purple Heart if Congress passes a bill introduced Tuesday.

Non-military victims could receive the Secretary of Defense Medal of Freedom -- the civilian equivalent of the Purple Heart. Both military and civilian personnel killed or wounded in the November 5 attack would be granted the same legal status as combatant casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The bill was introduced by Texas GOP Rep. John Carter, who represents Fort Hood in the House of Representatives.

(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who hasn't done anything to warrant this recognition of the ultimate sacrifice, I don't think my opinion should be the deciding factor on this. I can see this as a precedent that could end up causing some controversy (were the Marines killed in the OKC bombings awarded the Purple Heart, for instance), but I also know that those men and women were deploying, therefore a vital part of the effort in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I definitely would like to hear the opinion of someone who has received this recognition.

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. Putting myself in that situation (either military or civilian) I wouldn't want it.

Yes! They took hits from a treasonist terrorist ...the enemy.

--->Dave

Does that mean the Marine killed on Camp Lejeune rates it as well? You could argue that was a treason terrorist as well.

Requirements for The PH

The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force or any civilian national of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the US Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded:

In any action against an enemy of the United States.

In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged.

While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces.

As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force.

After 28 March 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of the Army, or jointly by the Secretaries of the separate armed services concerned if persons from more than one service are wounded in the attack.

After 28 March 1973, as a result of military operations while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.

These are the Army regs taken from www.Armyawards.com

I say no.

....In any action against an enemy of the United States...

cuttin through the technical BS, I approve

Though if the live victims up for "award" have to wait on obuma to acknowledge this terrorist attack as something more than a tragedy? Well they might as well take a seat at the DMV on friday lunchtime.

--->Dave

So if I get fragged by a LCpl do I rate a Purple Heart?

Well i suppose you rate whatever you earn or is bestowed upon you. Now if i may quote Clint E, "deserving's got nothin to do with it"

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    No

Ph

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    So if I get fragged by a LCpl do I rate a Purple Heart?
    No. This is something that has bugged me since Vietnam. The same goes for US Troops killed by friendly fire. I feel that they should have a P.H.

No way, How many marines in history have committed homicide against there own? Is it because he did it in higher numbers and said allah is great...?

If I walk into work tomorrow with a sack full of golf balls and start beaming the s*it out of Marines, will they rate the Purple Heart?

Here's a serious question. Did the men and women that were injured in the attack on the Pentagon on September 11th receive Purple Hearts?

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Here's a serious question. Did the men and women that were injured in the attack on the Pentagon on September 11th receive Purple Hearts?
    Here's a follow-up question wherein the answer to yours is thinly veiled: Why did so many clamor to name the victims of the two towers heroes, regardless of whether or not they were responding to the crisis?

Thread Information