Heading to Lejeune (Advice?)
Create Post

Heading to Lejeune (Advice?)

Gimme the bad news and the good news, specifically concerning families and marriage. Housing on/off base etc..

I'm headed to 8th Comm for any of those who are familier.

Any feedback would be gladly appreciated - cuz I'm definately hearing some stories over here that doesn't exactly put a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
    Gimme the bad news and the good news, specifically concerning families and marriage. Housing on/off base etc..

Any feedback would be gladly appreciated - cuz I'm definately hearing some stories over here that doesn't exactly put a smile on my face.
    Out by French creek i think thats were 8th comm is, we used to kidnap their duties and **** with them all night lol. But yeah man there is some good housing out by walmart and its not to far from the main gate. Its cheap too and really nice. Base housing well when i was at lejenue was old and nasty. But they were building new houses when i got out so who knows. I really like lejeune, plenty to do lots of good awesome bars out on the triangle. Its hot as **** in the summer sticky as all hell. The PX is pretty big the 7 day store has cheep booze. A nice golf course if thats your thing and tons of gyms and clubs to drink and play pool at. Be advised though, going out on town you run into tons of retired guys who never left Jacksonville and will whip you into shape if your out of regs. Onslow beach is well a beach its half decent you can rent these cabins out there for pretty damn cheap and makes for a good time in the summer drinking and swimming. I dunno, I liked it better than any other base I stayed on expect for Rota Spain. Hope this kind of helps. I'm sure you will hear some horror stories and they are true but you always hear them stories about any base.

Anything you wanna know is particular? I was stationed in the Lejeune area for 15 out of my 20 years in the Corps. Jacksonville is a very typical military town. I would say that "butler" hit the nail on the head as far as his description of the place (for a single Marine anyway).

Most all of base housing for Sgt and below are either fairly new or recently redone and not too bad. If you wanna get away from the rat race around Jacksonville, I would recommend living in or around Swansboro. That's were I lived and I loved it. Traffic going to work is much better going through the back gate.

Fishing in this area is fantastic if that's your gig. Hunting is pretty good on base as well. Diving is really good too, ya just got a bit of a boat ride to get to some awesome wreck diving. I consider this area a sportsman's paradise.

Schools are good, living is fairly cheap and it's an all around cool place to live if you ask me. As far as the command you're going to, well that could be the bad news. 8th Comm, or "8th Crime" battalion as we used to call it, has it's issues. Could be different now. The command is just what you make of it. Glad to answer any of you questions Sergeant, I would consider myself the "duty expert" on the subject, lol. Good luck.

Gunny Dan

Credits
    Savings
    Jacksonville really isn't a bad town. You're not a far drive from a lot of things to do with the family. If you like history, there is a ton of places to see from Ft. Fischer to Bentonville and others. Decent trails at Raven Rock and Uwahrrie National Forest.
    There are quite a few churches in the area. No problem finding areas to hunt and fish. I know of two ranges that you can shoot trap and skeet or rifle, pistol.

I dont know, I guess the horror stories given to me werent directed towards the single marine but marines like myself, young and married with a busy schedule. People were saying my wife would get harrassed a lot everywhere she goes and its real dramatic out there.

Which is something I'd really hate to deal with. Thanks about the schools though, we'll be having a baby around next fall so thats good information.

I'd really like to know about daycares, traffic, etc. Jobs for the wife all those sort of things, another big thing is the dog restrictions IE: pitbull and mastifs (known as aggressive dog breeds). Do houses segregate aggressive breed owners off base? I'd imagine on base definately.

Please respond and thank you all for your replys.

PS. I love fishing, that makes me happy to hear about Gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdanno View Post
    . 8th Comm, or "8th Crime" battalion as we used to call it, has it's issues. Could be different now.

Nope gunny they are still the 8th Crime BN. I was at the French Creek barracks with AT BN in 05 and 8th comm being just across the street. 8th Comm had a surprise health and comfort inspection and they found tons of prepackaged cocaine in an 8th comm guys barracks room needless to say the **** rolled our way since we were so close. Ahhh the good ol' days lol! I think we got H&C ever week and **** tests 2 times a week until i deployed to Iraq. Insane!

Oh yeah and Rooster i did write that in my experiences which were prolly a whole lot different than yours will be. Gunny has it all right Swansboro is a nice place to live. But only problem with the back gate was it would close a lot whenever the terror threat would elevate and than its all hell trying to get into the Main gate with everyone else. It is a pretty dang good place to be though.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stay away from Court Street
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Ha, ha, good ole Court street. All of that nefarious activity was shut down there many years back. That place is as quite as "Mayberry" now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post

For one thing don't Drink the water .

When I was with 2nd Medical Bn, our barracks and work areas were in French Creek. I liked the area, but my room was on the 1st deck and during hurricanes it would get an inch of water. I remember my room flooding and the power being out for about 2 days during a hurricane in 1996. Guys were out in the yard area with their sleep mats running and diving onto the water, skidding for like 50 feet... funny stuff... 8th Crime Bn seemed to have their fair share of scandals... but so did Med Bn.

After I got married, me and the hubby lived in Hubert, NC. It's out the back gate too and before you reach the town of Swansboro. Very nice area with lots of military and retired military.

I am stationed here at MCAS AIR STATION right by Lejeune, heres my summary

Sunday night all haircut places are open past midnight, you go a mile and you will passmore of them then you can count.

Everyone here has a car that is modified in some ways

There are alot of places the Base CO and Sgt Major deem off limits.

The clubs here are lame, full of drunks with attitudes against marines.

The NEW walmart is nice, the OLD walmart is not.

You will meet a strange man dancing on the corner of Marine blvd and Western, I will let others fill you in on him, i believe he has a video on You tube or two.

The hooters here is lame,

The MP's are sharks

LOL, the jacksonville ninja!!

Well have fun in 8th crime thats what its called because ive seen alot of marines get NJP'd at 8th comm but live off base and stay safe

Thread Information